Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

t'was day 28 for my Koolickles

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888
edited July 2016 in EggHead Forum
I patiently waited the full suggested time frame. First one out looked like this - and as you can see the once green dill pickle turned red. I ate it and I think I loved it even though it was a tad more sweet than I like. OTOH a red pickle is a cool or KOOL thing to serve at least in chunks as some form of hors d'oeuvre on a fancy toothpick as a mini-veggie-ka-bob. Next jar I will cut the sugar back to say 3/4 cup. BUT don't worry  - this recipe is a keeper for the sake of something cool or KOOL and different to serve guests!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    These might be good with "zesty" or spicy pickles.  I think zesty is a trade name...
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • RRP
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    These might be good with "zesty" or spicy pickles.  I think zesty is a trade name...
    I was thinking something more contrasting with my new favorite pickles from these jars!

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I'm glad to hear that you liked them.
    I may give them a try again
  • RRP
    Options
    GregW said:
    "again"? That is an operative word! What didn't you like? Care to share what Kool-Aid flavor you used that may have turned you off? 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Ron, it made a cool looking pickle if nothing else. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    I liked them, as well.  I am not the patient wise man RRP is, therefore after 1 week I began enjoying them. Also, I used the 1-gallon size jar.

I honestly do like the taste and I really like the expression on folks' face when they are served or even just told about Koolickles !!!!

I'm glad yours turned out great RRP!!  and thanks again paqman for sharing.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Try to chop a few of them and mix with mayo.  It is an interesting burger topping.

Options
    RRP said:
    GregW said:
    "again"? That is an operative word! What didn't you like? Care to share what Kool-Aid flavor you used that may have turned you off? 
    It's been years since I made them. I first saw them on an Alton Brown show made in Mississippi. I don't recall if he gave a recipe, or if I found one on the web.
    I seem to remember the pickles being too sweet for my taste.
    I used cherry flavor.
    I bet using a base pickle that is more zesty would hold up to the cherry flavor better.