Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork belly

Options
chick533
chick533 Posts: 50
First attempt at bacon. Found 10 lb poke belly at Costco. Followed bacon recipe from Ruhlman's Charcuterie pg 81. Left out maple syrup. Brined for 7 days, rinsed, air drier for 24 hours. Just come off of XL BGE. Fried up great but salty. Should I have soaked it for a few hours before air drying?
2XLBGE, Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini, 36" Blackstone
Raymore, MO

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    After you wet cure it, soak it in tap water for 45 minutes after the recipe you followed.  After soaking, set it out overnight in the fridge overnight to form the pellicle before smoking.  Then the magic begins.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    ^^^.bge Brent got me working on my first run this week. Post to follow. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    ^^^.bge Brent got me working on my first run this week. Post to follow. 
    Game on brother!  Looking forward to your success.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    OK...now I really got to get on the ball and get started on some bacon....I've waited long enough.

Looks great !!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    The end pieces are usually salty but after that they are usually just ok.  

Options
    If they are overly salty you can soak them even after the smoke. My last batch was overly salty and I soaked it after I sliced it even and that really helped.
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    Going to be following these tips. Great info. Started curing two pork bellies, each halved, yesterday with four profiles. Hope they come out this nice. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,649
    Options
    I always wash the belly really well after it comes out of the cure. I then soak as @bgebrent suggests. I have soaked as long as 4-5 hours (fell asleep) but usually go around 2. 

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .