Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Where to Eat in Chicago OT

Options
My husband and I will be in Chicago for five nights next week, while I attend a work conference.  We've never been there. We will be staying at the Swissotel, near the Navy Pier.  On any trip, we like to have a "food adventure".  If anyone has any recommendations on where to eat, from "hole in the walls" to fine dining, please chime in.  We will not have a car, so will rely on walking or cabs.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Kelley 
Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.

Comments

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Walking or cabbing it is perfect where you are. Many choices, I like Gibsons for steaks although there are many places that have great steaks I just like the atmosphere and the bar scene on Rush street after dinner. Portillos for sangwiches, italian beef etc..., Lou Malnatis for Pizza, Carmines for Italian is good, Harry Careys and Ditkas are great as well. All those are walking distance from your hotel like within a mile. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    Hugo's frog bar, I think its attached to Gibson's if they are busy. Portillos for a dog and a seriously stiff mai-tai? at least that's what I think it was supposed to be. I'm heading there shortly too, can't wait and look forward to seeing others recommendations. The downtown are is extremely nice 
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Rick Bayless's Frontera Grill or the upscale side Topolabampo. Truly outstanding Mexican. https://www.zagat.com/r/frontera-grill-chicago/menu
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    The Purple Pig is great for small plates and a drink.  

https://thepurplepigchicago.com/

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I would like to bring my family up to Chicago for a few days.
    I've always stayed away because of the high crime I see in the news.
    Is it a misconception about the crime?
    I know I would really like to see the city and eat at the great food places.
  • EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    Options
    @GregW:  Having not been there myself, yet, I don't know much about it.  I know they were recently in the news with a LOT of murders in a few short days. 
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I just heard a really good review of Monteverde - the restaurant from the Season 9 Top Chef runner-up.  You might not be able to get in, but if I were going to be going to Chicago I'd try to get to Alinea - almost the definition of a food adventure.

Re: crime and big cities - I haven't been to Chicago, but I've lived in DC and Baltimore (cities that have experience with high crime) and there is a huge difference between where the crime occurs and where tourists/conventions/office workers go on a regular basis.  I'd expect Chicago isn't that different in that regard, and if you follow general big city safety behavior you'll be fine.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited July 2016
    Options
    GregW said:
    . . .
    Stay away from areas occupied by the economically depressed. ;)   You'll be fine.

:| 
     B) 

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Lived in Chicago 2005 to 2014. Was there last week for a couple Cubs games.

Crime can and will happen anywhere in the city. Scum from the South-side take the Red Line to the city and North Side to rob the Frat boys & Girls at night. Stay away from the lakefront after dark, especially on weekends.

Be cautious on or near subway platforms. Feel free to profile and trust your gut. Look for young men in pairs or more.

Any restaurant from the BOKA Group will be a great experience. 

www.bokagrp.com

Try the rooftop at Nomi in the Park Hyatt for drinks at night.

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    Options
    My husband and I will be in Chicago for five nights next week, while I attend a work conference.  We've never been there. We will be staying at the Swissotel, near the Navy Pier.  On any trip, we like to have a "food adventure".  If anyone has any recommendations on where to eat, from "hole in the walls" to fine dining, please chime in.  We will not have a car, so will rely on walking or cabs.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
    If you'll be in the Loop - and not looking for ultra-fine dining, try "The Gage" - good food and you'll be perfectly positioned for a verry nice post-meal walk.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    Options
    http://www.smoquebbq.com/
    Wolfy's (best dogs)
    Giordano's (Pizza)
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    @GregW:  Having not been there myself, yet, I don't know much about it.  I know they were recently in the news with a LOT of murders in a few short days. 
    Read on...
    http://heyjackass.com
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    We've never been there. We will be staying at the Swissotel, near the Navy Pier. 
    Chicago is one of the best food towns in the US. The top places, Michelin 3 and 2 stars are probably all booked up. The 1 stars, a few of which are within maybe a mile of where you will be usually have openings. We've eaten at Naha and Blackbird, and were thrilled. Hope to get to Topolobampo, which is just kitty corner from Naha.

Also check out the Michellin "Bib gourmand" list. All very good, but they nay bot have deserts or drinks.

The Gage is good. We also hope to get to the the Art Institute's "Terzo Piano," just a block or two away.

For less fancy, but usually exceptionally good food, check out the LTH Forum Great Neighborhood restaurants. Never been disappointed eating at one of those places, tho' some really are tiny "hole in the wall."
  • gdenby
    Options
    GregW said:
    I know I would really like to see the city and eat at the great food places.
    Oh, go visit. Check this map.

You can select for area, day of the week, and time of day. You'll notice that some places, like the Loop and the North Shore are almost completely safe during the day.

Yeah, don't hang out on the West or South side at like 3 a.m. But, there are places open all night that have their own muscle hangin' out to protect the late night crowd while they get, say, their dogs and fries.
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    Get a Yelp app downloaded, the Yelpers will be your best way to find what's close to you.
    I know the area, I live 3 hours south of Chicago in Indianapolis.

For about $5 each, you can ride the bus and trains all day on a day pass, and it's really easy to get around. Cabs are fine, Uber/Lyft cost less, a lot less.

I second the Purple Pig. Corner of Michigan and Illinois, due west 4 blocks from the Navy Pier. They don't take reservations, so go off peak.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    Ive been 4 times now every 2nd year and haven't witnessed any crime yet. Like the others mentioned stay in downtown touristy areas (its very large with lots to see,) and you should be fine. I was nervous a bit my first time, but found downtown to be very clean and very well kept, compared to other major cities. It really changed what I had pictured in my head of the city. Unless a lot has changed in the last 2 years. Also You can put a lot of miles on just walking, very easy to get around 
  • dantnation
    dantnation Posts: 19
    Options
    Chicago is one of my favorite cities to visit.. The food is phenomenal... The best meal I've ever had in my life hands down was at the Girl and the Goat, may not be able to get a reservation but you can eat at the bar, full menu. If you go the pork shank is my favorite item.. slow roasted pork shank, cooled to bring meat back to the bone then deep fried for that crispy exterior skin.. so. good. The winner of top chef, Stephanie Izard, owns the restaurant, among others in Chicago.
    When I Dip, You Dip, We Dip.

Nashville, TN

www.dantnation.com
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    RRP said:
    Read on...
    That is some very grim statistics.
  • dmchicago
    Options
    GregW said:
    RRP said:
    Read on...
    That is some very grim statistics.
    http://www.cwbchicago.com/

This is always an interesting read...
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Two places that I can highly recommend. For Greek food visit Santorinis on Halsted and Adams in Greektown. They are known for their fresh seafood. 
    Bistro 110 near water tower place is a great place but they may not take reservations for 2, I recall that they had a minimum party of 5 for reservations. I would just arrive early to beat the crowds. It is French Bistro cuisine and they start you off with baked garlic clove and bread/butter.
  • gdenby
    Options
    if you don't to go, good, more for me.

Do understand, I don't live in Chi, and I know it is a tough place. But  I have had kids watch a guy blown away by his estranged wife across the alley. & SWAT teams converge on the bank that used to operate across the street. SWAT team gurney the neighbor away who threatened them with an AR-15. And the team got really PO'd when my wife walked in our front door coming home from work  during the middle of all of it.

Frankly, the only place I ever felt scared was the South Bronx, c. '82. I was lost, it was dawn, and there were still cars burning in some of the intersections.

Be brave.

And eat well.
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    edited July 2016
    Options
    The original Gino's east pizza... Get the pinwheel sausage pizza and thank me later

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    edited July 2016
    Options
    The original Gino's east pizza... Get the pinwheel sausage pizza and thank me later
    It has to be Gino's East if going to Gino's. The original location. It's also bring your own beer at that location 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • dmchicago
    Options
    dstearn said:
    Two places that I can highly recommend. For Greek food visit Santorinis on Halsted and Adams in Greektown. They are known for their fresh seafood. 
    Bistro 110 near water tower place is a great place but they may not take reservations for 2, I recall that they had a minimum party of 5 for reservations. I would just arrive early to beat the crowds. It is French Bistro cuisine and they start you off with baked garlic clove and bread/butter.
    Closed in 2011.

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I like Shaws. I would just sit at the bar area and eat apps though. Ditto on Hugo's/ Gibsons. Harry Carreys, Chicago Cut, Catch 35. River north is full of them. Some of the more popular ones like Joes, Fontera, the Stephany Izzard joints are always booked way out I think. Enjoy!
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    If you're not in the mood for 4 or 5 star's and Michelin ratings a couple of days, I would check out my Chicago regular's:

Pequods
    Arturo Taco's
    The Radler
    Piece
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    dstearn said:
    Closed in 2011.
    Shows you how long its been since I have dined there! (Bistro 110)
    Santorinis is a very good alternative.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    We used to like a divey little seafood joint called Half Shell.  Can't recall where it was. 

Hopleaf is great if you enjoy beer.  

The Phil Stefani joints used to be good for Italian grub. We used to frequent Tuscany since we lived close to little Italy. 

Check out Hot Doug's for lunch if it is still around.  Fries fried in duck fat on Fri & Sat. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I'd get some traditional deep dish one of your nights. Went to Coldplay concert last night at soldier field and walked back to the hotel 2+miles after midnight didn't feel unsafe once. Maybe get the uber app may be easier than getting a taxi
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Hopleaf is great for amazing beer and charcuterie as well!  Was just there last month.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio