Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

small bags of Big green egg lump charcoal

Options
what is the purpose of these? They have the same purpose as small boxes of laundry soap, small bottles of dish soap, small packages of toilet paper. So what are you going to suddenly quit doing the things that require the use of these things?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    what is the purpose of these? They have the same purpose as small boxes of laundry soap, small bottles of dish soap, small packages of toilet paper. So what are you going to suddenly quit doing the things that require the use of these things?
    OK - I'll bite - whatthehellareyoutalkingabout?LOL

Got some pictures or are you really referring to 8.8# bags? 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • ThrasherIII
    ThrasherIII Posts: 252
    Options
    Yep are you gonna jus stop egging??
  • ThrasherIII
    ThrasherIII Posts: 252
    Options
    Nowayinhellisthatgonnahappen!!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    ? :o
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    You are brave men @RRP and @Mickey !

I still haven't came up with a reply post !!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    I guess it's in reference to the 10 lbs bags I see in the stores, also BGE has a 10 lbs bag on their site.  Probably makes it easier to include a 10 vs 20 lbs bag in a purchase.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • jeponline
    jeponline Posts: 290
    Options
    It's all about price per pound. I can get 8.8 pound bags cheaper per pound than I can 15.4
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    I can't answer, but I can say that in the 2.5 months that I've owned my egg, I've blown through 5 17-20 lb bags of lump....Yeah, I might like it a little bit.

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I love the small bags. Easier to handle and far less likely to get crushed by other small bags on the pallet. However, they are more expensive, because you basically have the same effort required for 1/2 the lump. 
  • Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    Options
    They would work well for Traveling Eggs :)
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    If you are buying Big Green Egg branded lump then you are likely wasting alot of money.  It is Royal Oak in a green bag for twice the price. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    If Rockwood came in smaller bags, @stlcharcoal would have to include a hammer to bust up the one chunk of lump so it would fit in the smaller  eggs !

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Options
    Handling would be the main benefit I see.  Some people, like elderly or physically disabled, that still want to egg.  They pay a little extra per pound but get smaller, lighter bags that they can handle.  
    Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • jeponline
    jeponline Posts: 290
    Options
    If you are buying Big Green Egg branded lump then you are likely wasting alot of money.  It is Royal Oak in a green bag for twice the price. 
    I should have been more specific, it is Royal Oak that I get for cheaper in the smaller bag.  I can get the 8.8 pound bag for about $0.74/lb from Walmart or the 15.4 bag from Home Depot for about $0.84/lb.  Since they were cheaper and easier to carry I went for the smaller bags from Walmart.
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    Options
    dldawes1 said:
    If Rockwood came in smaller bags, @stlcharcoal would have to include a hammer to bust up the one chunk of lump so it would fit in the smaller  eggs !
    Actually there are 10 lb. bags of Rockwood. I bought a couple at a store in Chicago before I had a local supplier.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    dldawes1 said:
    Actually there are 10 lb. bags of Rockwood. I bought a couple at a store in Chicago before I had a local supplier.
    They have discontinued because they are not cost effective. Might still be some available, but not for long. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    edited July 2016
    Options
    irregardless of what size bag I buy after opened I have always dump some into my coal bucket. The long snout makes filling my eggs easy. An added benefit is it is easier to see foreign objects that might be in the bag such as rocks and whatever!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    dldawes1 said:
    They have discontinued because they are not cost effective. Might still be some available, but not for long. 
    Still got about 6,000......how many you want??  Actually I'll probably going to be squirreling most of those away from promotional use.

Originally, they were for local STL butcher shops and smaller markets in the in city where people don't have the money or space for the 20# bags.  There's a couple places outside of STL that have them--not many though.

There's twice as much labor and paper in each pallet, so they're not that cheap any more compared to the 20's.  I hate to get rid of them, but like you said, they're just not cost effective to produce and I don't think people will buy them with what we have to charge for them.  :( 
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    I usually buy the bigger bags, but like RRP, once I open one, transfer them to 3 Kingsford bins with lids made to store charcoal. 

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• flyerdoc
    flyerdoc Posts: 141
    Options
    I like to fill 5 gallon buckets with charcoal easy for my bad back to maneuver. I did not realize that Wally World carried Royal Oak, I will have to check that out! Most frequently I get the Cowboy from Home Depot, I have never seen Royal Oak there, I am in Pennsylvania so maybe it varies area to area.