Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Under Pressure.

SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
For those of you with a PC, here is a very simple but delicious Lima bean recipe. I make them super thick, akin to a stew. You can make them as thick or thin as you like by adjusting the liquid volume.  
Ingredients:
2 pounds of Large Limas. 
6 ham hocks (smoked).
64 ounces of chicken stock or broth. 
1 whole white onion diced. 
1 jalepeno diced. 
1 stick of butter. 
2 Bay leaves. 
Red pepper to taste.
Black pepper to taste. 
Salt to taste.
Garlic powder to taste. 

Directions:
Dice up onion and jalepeno and add to the pot.
Add the 6 hocks and 32 ounces of the chicken stock/broth. 
Add 1 whole stick of butter. 
Note- There is no need to add any seasoning at this point. 
Cook the hocks for 45 minutes at 12 PSI. 
Do a quick pressure release. 
Add all the remaining ingredients with the exception of the salt. 
Cook 35 minutes and do a natural release. At this point, salt to taste. 
Simple but delicious my friends. 

Hocks cooked down in the broth with onion, jalapeño and butter. 

Beans and all other ingredients (except salt) added. 

Cooking complete and salt added. 

You can eat this with a fork. Thin if you so desire. Hope y'all enjoy my friends. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Damn that looks delicious !! I think I will order my new PC gasket this week !!
    More meat please !! :-)
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG said:
    Damn that looks delicious !! I think I will order my new PC gasket this week !!
    couldn't wait...Just ordered my gasket and will be making this next weekend ! Thanks :-) ....Love me some Limas !
  • SGH
    This kind of goes without saying, but serve these beans over rice and biscuits. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Nice....like how many different ways the cooks go on this forum....
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,168
    @SGH when I was a kid, more than a half-century ago, we had butterbeans almost every night because we were dirt poor and they helped feed a family of six. Rarely had any meat to season them with, mostly just beans and taters, and over the years, I grew to hate them and vowed to never eat them again if I did not have to, and haven't.
    But, those look so good, I might reconsider.
  • SGH
    Gunnar said:
    Agree. As great as Q is, there are other methods that produce some outstanding grub.  

Status- Standing by.

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Lima beans! The things you can't unsee. Like epcotisbest I grew up growing them, picking them, shelling them, and eating as few of them as possible. Try shelling 4 or 5 bushels. I haven't voluntarily eaten one in 35 years. Any other bean is fine.
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited July 2016
    Looks wickedly good, @SGH!

Thanks for posting the recipe. I'll be doing this one hopefully soon. 

I don't own a pressure cooker, so I'll be doing this stove top straight up. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Top Shelf as always Scotty
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    Top Shelf as always Scotty
    You are to kind my friend. Glad to hear that you are doing good and back in action ole buddy.  

Status- Standing by.

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Yes Sir! This looks great!
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    SGH said:
    Gunnar said:
    Agree. As great as Q is, there are other methods that produce some outstanding grub.  
    Agree

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Very nice there Scotty!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Very nice, on my to do list!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • NC_Egghead
    NC_Egghead Posts: 786
    I just ate but you have my mouth watering with those pics. Nicely done, as usual!
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    That looks fabulous. Great recipe right there. Maybe southerners are the only ones to appreciate beans. They rule in our house. For those of you, us included, that hate shelling beans, we got the Taylor Mini-Pea sheller, which is made in Georgia, to make quick work of shelling fresh beans and peas. I, too, had my share of manually shelling beans and peas and when Hubby announced that he wanted to freeze limas and crowder peas, I told him no way unless we found a quick and easier way to do it. We did. That sucker rocks. Hubby shells, I blanch, package and freeze. A bushel can be done in about 2 1/2 hours, start to finish. Gotta love technology.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    All I can say is...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Next week's project. My company keeps getting approached by "prepper" groups and I feel like the pressure cooker concept is becoming a lost art form. No point in collecting a lifetime of dry beans and rice if it takes you all the dirty water of the Mississippi to boil it. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• SGH
    All I can say is...
    I'm honored my friend. 

Dredger said:
    That looks fabulous. Great recipe right there. Maybe southerners are the only ones to appreciate beans. They rule in our house. For those of you, us included, that hate shelling beans, we got the Taylor Mini-Pea sheller, which is made in Georgia, to make quick work of shelling fresh beans and peas. I, too, had my share of manually shelling beans and peas and when Hubby announced that he wanted to freeze limas and crowder peas, I told him no way unless we found a quick and easier way to do it. We did. That sucker rocks. Hubby shells, I blanch, package and freeze. A bushel can be done in about 2 1/2 hours, start to finish. Gotta love technology.
    Sister, my grandfather had a pea sheller. If I remember correctly it was called SGH :s

Status- Standing by.

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Sister, my grandfather had a pea sheller. If I remember correctly it was called SGH s

Now that's funny @SGH. Life just isn't fair sometimes is it? I understand completely what you're saying. Been there, done that. We have crowders on deck soon. I'll try and remember to take a pic of it in action. Without that thing, we'd be eating mass produced stuff in those little plastic bags from the grocery store. It's fully adjustable to suit whatever you're shelling. Just turn the motor on and go. Heck, you all know that I'm easily entertained and love my toys. =)

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    That looks so good.  Were the limas fresh or dried?  Thanks for the recipe.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • XLentEGG
    edited July 2016
    Will this recipe fit in my 6qt pc , or do I need to cut the recipe in half ?
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,717
    I love Lima beans, I'll have to try this recipe!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Putting together ingredients list for the grocery.....thanks for posting SGH !!!!!!!

I love 'em limas !!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    SIX smoked ham hocks???

Dayum!!!  You could probably stew shoe leather in that stuff and it'd be good!  I've put a couple of them in beans (green and dried), but SIX smoked ham hocks -- Wow!  That much salt won't be good for me, but boy, I bet that stuff tastes good!

Thanks for sharing!
  • SGH
    XLentEGG said:
    Will this recipe fit in my 6qt pc , or do I need to cut the recipe in half ?
    Cut the Lima beans to 1 pound and the hocks to 3. Just taking a guess but 48 ounces of liquid should be real close. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    That looks so good.  Were the limas fresh or dried?  Thanks for the recipe.  
    Bagged and dried my friend. 

Status- Standing by.