Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New KAB for my large

Options
Just got this on the mail today. Did a steak and chicken cook on it tonight, air flow seemed fine. Looking forward to an easy clean out tomorrow! And this thing is built like a tank! 

Large BGE -- New Jersey

Comments

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Awesome. You will love it 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Staygold
    Staygold Posts: 45
    Options
    Been looking at these. What's the advantage?
    LBGE #76 Georgia Mountain Eggfest 2016
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Staygold said:
    Been looking at these. What's the advantage?
    All the cool kids have one. 
  • JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538
    Options
    And I want to be cool! 

My main reason for getting it is that I did a few cooks without cleaning out the ash and smaller charcoal bits of the prior burn, and had lots of trouble getting to temp, with poor air flow. So I figured out that I need to clean it (at least a little) before each cook, knocking the ash through and raking out the bottom, before adding new lump to the top, and the KAB will theoretically make that easier. We'll see...

Necessary? Probably not. But a good excuse to spend money on my new favorite pastime (and be one of the cool kids)? Sure! 
    Large BGE -- New Jersey

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options

That looks like a light load of lump?  Is that amount what you normally cook with?  I tend to fill it up mid fire ring.

Also, to all KAB owners.  Where exactly are you shaking your lump?  What kind of container are you using?

Been on the fence about these....

Thanks!

Apollo Beach, FL
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    I have one in my MM and my main reason for purchasing was the ability to let the egg cool faster. 
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    The only thing that would be nicer is if they made them out of stainless. 
  • JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538
    Options
    Wardster said:

That looks like a light load of lump?  Is that amount what you normally cook with?  I tend to fill it up mid fire ring.

I was just doing a chicken and steak tonight so it was only going to need to last a short bit. Definitely fill it up more for longer cooks. 

I bought a couple of those really cheap orange buckets at Home Depot to put used ash into...

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Suggest you go with metal rather than plastic...
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Space_City_Egger
    Options
    I clean out next day or later in a big plastic bucket. KAB definitely makes it easier to clean out. Airflow is the same in my view. 
    Large

Houston,TX
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Wardster said:

Also, to all KAB owners.  Where exactly are you shaking your lump?  What kind of container are you using?

Thanks!

I dump mine into one of these: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RNDR3W/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Don't even need to wait until it's cold/extinguished (not sure I would do that if I was on a wooden deck tho).
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Wardster said:

Thanks!

For me a 10 gallon trash can is a prefect companion. Small, discreet on the deck and easy to lift and empty when full. 

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Wardster said:
    I have a Rubbermaid trashcan, with lid.  I usually flip the lid over on the can, shake my KAB over it, then set the KAB aside.  Pick out any small pieces of lump and put them back into the KAB (I'm miserly that way), and then turn the lid over so the ash dumps into the trashcan and replace the lid.
    Some pieces of lump fall through the KAB into the bottom of the Egg; a lot of folks freak out about this but I just leave them there, they eventually catch fire, and the heat/smoke goes up the Egg like it's supposed to.  No problem.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    One advantage I have noticed with the KAB is that you can dump a bunch of small charcoal bits on top and there is still enough airflow to burn them up. I really like mine (I have it in the Joe Jr). I will eventually get one for my LBGE.
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,732
    Options
    I really like my KAB. Makes clean out much easier!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• flyerdoc
    flyerdoc Posts: 141
    Options
    Just got one for my Medium BGE about a few weeks ago, its great. Use a plastic 5 gallon bucket to shake it into...but I am only using it the day after (read: COLD ashes!). It provides wonderful air circulation and makes freshening your charcoal a thing of ease. My only complaint was that the basket I received was too tight a fit in my Medium Egg and I had to beat the handles in a bit with a sledge hammer, no kidding, these things are TOUGH! Anyway, it fits now and I highly recommend it.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Best money I have spent so far on the eggs. Great tool, a million times easier to clean, better airflow. Winner all around.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I have one each in  my Large Egg and KJ Jr.  They are great!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon