Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

~~~~Saurkraut question(s)???~~~~

Options
Smoker317
Smoker317 Posts: 238
edited July 2016 in Salads and Dressings
So the last thread I saw some weeks ago about homemade kraut inspired me to buy a container off of amazon that someone posted a link to.  I received the container and made a batch of kraut.  I let it ferment for about 5 weeks, very good flavor, I didn't experiment, just 3 heads of cabbage, 3 table spoons of kosher salt, and a cup of water.  Ran the cabbage through the food processor and then rolled with a rolling pin.  My new batch that I am starting today is longer, thicker strands of cabbage. I used a different slicer this time to hopefully keep the kraut from breaking down to small.

The container I bought had a plastic insert that separated the liquid from the cabbage so the mold grew on top of the lid and never mixed with the cabbage.

My question,  I didn't can the stuff, I don't know how to can but would like to try it, anyways I put the kraut into two large canning jars with lids and ate the 2 cups leftover.  I gave one away one jar which was promptly eaten, however, my large jar is only being eaten by me.  The other family members do not like kraut. 

So how long can the kraut when it goes from the fermentation container to a jar stored in the fridge last before it needs to be thrown in the garbage?  A week?  A month?

Next, if I want to add some fresh jalapenos, would this be a combination to try since I love jalapenos and kraut?

If so, how many peppers per batch of 3 cabbages?  Thinly slice the jalapenos, leave whole, chop, what should I do with the jalapenos to introduce the heat into the kraut?

Picture of what is left, thanks to all who posted the original thread!  Just another reason to love this site, I would have never dreamed of making homemade sauerkraut six months ago.  I could easily go the rest of my life without eating store bought, canned kraut!

New batch started tonight, I only had 3 small cabbage heads, I could totally have room for a total of 5 maybe 6 heads of cabbage.  I will remember for next time.

Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
Smobot
Living near Indy
36" Blackstone

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    Canning kills all the beneficial bacteria you want to ingest. I wouldn't bother canning. Once it gets the level of tang you like just pack it in jars and keep in the fridge while you get another batch going. Should always have a batch in fermentation mode. :)

A jar in the fridge will last longer than it would likely take one to eat it. Easily a few months.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I make it homemade and never throw it away. The salt content is going to keep baddies away. Once you get to last little bit of the old batch, add it to the new batch to speed up fermentation. Another thing to do is use probiotics to accomplish the same thing. Mineral-rich salts are best, as it makes the kraut more nutritious. 

In terms of additives, go nuts with experimenting. It's fun!
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    This is not good--not good at all. I do not need reminders like this. I forgot about making kraut and my wife---well---she will forgive me for this---she hates kraut---the smell, the whole deal. I will say a prayer while I shred and it will be ok---maybe. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Smoker317
    Smoker317 Posts: 238
    Options
    Thanks for the replies!  I just wasn't sure how long the kraut would last in the fridge...  since the answer is "easily a few months," I am good.  No way will it last over 60 days in the fridge!

O.K.  So any suggestions on the jalapeno part of the question?

Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    Sauerkraut is made now because we like the flavor. But it originally came about in order to preserve it. Quality may deteriorate after a year or so (oxidizing maybe)

other than that, it's like asking if prosciutto goes bad. Not really. Just eventually less than perfect
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    Smoker317 said:
    Thanks for the replies!  I just wasn't sure how long the kraut would last in the fridge...  since the answer is "easily a few months," I am good.  No way will it last over 60 days in the fridge!

O.K.  So any suggestions on the jalapeno part of the question?

If you like jalapenos and kraut make some jalapenos and kraut. :)

The great thing about this is the possible combos are about a zillion. So...just experiment.

Rather than making a big batch in your kimchi container you might look into getting a few widemouth quart size canning jars and use those to make a bunch of small batches of a variety of recipes to see what works to your liking.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I concur with the previous gents and ladies posting above.  Oxidation kills the flavor.  It's like pickles.  Keep them refrigerated and the lid on tight and you'll eat it faster than it can get an off flavor. 

pH is low, keeps the riff raff bacteria at bay.
    Options
    Sounds good.  I was hoping someone had a basic ball park figure for peppers per cabbage, I suppose I will try one pepper sliced in half length ways, seeded, per head of cabbage.
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    I got some of these "Hop Tops" thinking I would use them in my homebrew beer experiments, but somewhere along the line I read about using them in fermenting food...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1640002012/hoptop-mason-jar-airlock-brew-and-ferment

Anyway, the first thing I did was kraut. Straight up, hand sliced cabbage and salt, then crammed it into a half gallon mason jar.  Let ferment for 4 weeks and it turned out awesome.  Popped it in the fridge and it should keep well there.

The fermented pickles I made were stoopid good!

In the mean time, I did another batch of kraut, but with about 6 cloves of fresh garlic.  And then this weekend, I did a crazy batch with cracked pepper, whole peppercorns, garlic, chili flakes and 2 authentico dried chipotle peppers!  It looks weird, yet oddly tasty...

Also, I found some red jalapenos and ran those through the Cuisinart slicer for rings, threw some garlic in there and am thinking I may make a hot sauce from it.  I've got some regular jalapenos going too, and lastly I sliced up some candy onions with some garlic and a jalepeno for an interesting batch of yumminess.  
    All of this to say - put whatever you want and like into your kraut...

(and I've still not used the Hop Tops for beer yet!)
    Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Options
    We put our homemade kraut in Ziplocks and freeze it. Works out well for us.
  • JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538
    Options
    Shoot. I'm ordering one of these from Amazon right now...
    Large BGE -- New Jersey