Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Overnight Cook in THE COLD!!!

Options
Mop
Mop Posts: 496
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, the butt has been in the egg for almost 12 hours....
Butt went on at 9:30 pm at 250º, I went to bed at 1:00 am, temp at 250º, I got up at 7:00am to check the temp, It was 240-250º.....went back to bed, got back up at just before 9:00 (now) and the temp is still 250º....internal temp of the meat is 160º.....at the plateau I guess.....
This is my third butt, the first two I did on my SNP, this one in the green cooker...
The differences so far, well, the constant temperature of the cooker without babysitting it is by far the biggest......
There is not as much of a bark on the meat as I expected...wondering if i should pick up the cooker temp a bit and spray with apple juice.....[p]I have to say, I would have never expected a cooker that was not electric or thermostatically controlled to run a steady temp like that, especially in this extreme cold........
I love it......
Looking for a finish time of 3:30 or so for the eighteen hour mark...(GFW)
I will update as the butt progresses...
Roger!

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Mop,[p]As the internal temps rise, and become closer to the dome temp, the results are that the butt internal temp will not rise as quickly as when the dome vs internal temps were farther apart. That is when you can start bumping up the dome temps. I normally wait until the internal temp is 175-180 then add 25-50 deg. The bark will start to appear as well. Not sure about the apple juice, that is something I have not tried since the Egg retains much more moisture than a metal cooker. [p]Tim
  • Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    Thanks Tim.....
    It`s looking wonderful out there....
    I have used apple juice for many different (pork) cooks and have found it gives a nice "glaze" effect to the meat more than a moisture assist.
    The Butt looks great!, I cant wait to try it....
    It`s for tomorrow`s neighborhood open house....[p]Roger!

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    porkfin.jpg
    <p />Mop,[p]See, see, I told ya you would have fun with Humpty. If you like lots of bark, once the butt breaks through the "plateau" and hits the 175* mark, kick up the temp to 300-325* or so for a nice renown Mr. Brown finish. Once you experience your first BGE butt, your SNP just might be in for a long and lonely winter.[p]K~G

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    Mop,
    I'd like to say; "Now you're cooking with gas"! But I know gas has nothin' to do with it! (Unless you ate a batch of jalapenos last night!) :-))) Really, you are just begining to see what a marvel you have there!
    We began planning a 5 yr celebration this morning at work. 5yrs with out a loss injury accident! I voted for prime rib! Dr. Chicken's Old English Prime Rib to be exact! Think how awsome that would be! 135 people sitting down to prime rib from the Egg! Now that is what I'd call a feast! It sounds like they are gona go for it too! :-)))
    I'll be checking your posts all day today to see how the butt turns out! Ain't it great???[p]Good luck today, and have a great New Year! See what you have to look forward to!!![p]Dr. Chicken