Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burgundy Mushrooms again - a terrific side dish

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880

Tonight I’m staying inside due to the 107º heat index scorching central Illinois - so call me chicken! I haven’t fixed steak au poivre for a while so that will be the main dish as long as I don’t imbibe too much of the Remy Martin making sure it’s still good! Well, there’s a side dish we really like that The Pioneer Woman posted on her blog back in 2010 called Burgundy Mushrooms. It takes time to cook, but the results are fantastic and go with the steak au poivre quite well. BTW these will then freeze well so if you do the full 4 pounds - though I cut the recipe like for today into just 1 pound. The only thing you might have trouble finding is the dill seed - as most stores I shop only carried dill weed.

Here's a link to The Pioneer Woman recipe:
http://tastykitchen.com/recipes/sidedishes/burgundy-mushrooms/
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Yum Ron! Bring those up here and I'll brave the heat for the protein. However, the au poivre sounds awesome. Enjoy buddy!
  • mrs_story
    mrs_story Posts: 136
    Mmmm . . . I love mushrooms!  But, sadly, my husband and daughter do not.  :-(    They look really yummy!

I peeked at the recipe.  Eight bouillon cubes!  Do you find it to be salty (especially with the additional two teaspoons, if desired)?  We try to do lower sodium . . . all those bouillon cubes made alarms go off in my mind.  I wonder how it would be with half that amount . . .
  • RRP
    mrs_story said:
    Mmmm . . . I love mushrooms!  But, sadly, my husband and daughter do not.  :-(    They look really yummy!

I peeked at the recipe.  Eight bouillon cubes!  Do you find it to be salty (especially with the additional two teaspoons, if desired)?  We try to do lower sodium . . . all those bouillon cubes made alarms go off in my mind.  I wonder how it would be with half that amount . . .
    That sodium level has been a common complaint, but we've never found them to be too salty at all.
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,039
    I love mushrooms.   Sort of like oysters.   I like them anyway you can cook them.  I am going to have to give this a try.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • RRP
    Yum Ron! Bring those up here and I'll brave the heat for the protein. However, the au poivre sounds awesome. Enjoy buddy!
    Pete - actually I served them one time as one of my offerings at a Peoria Eggfest. I only made a 3# batch which consisted of 74 mushrooms and while people ate them when I thought about it that was too much effort (9 hours) to just give away! So I'm never offered them there again.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Hey I'll throw in a couple great bottles of red wine to sweeten the deal. 
  • RRP
    mrs_story said:

Don't you ever make something just for yourself to enjoy and not feel selfish? These freeze really well and when I make a 3 or 4 pound batch I divvy them up into serving sizes that I know we will like for a meal and freeze them in Tupperware. They stack nice and stay nice without freezer burn. I've even had a batch that was 14 months old and it was like fresh!

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    SWMBO makes this exact recipe. One of my favorites. I'll definitely try the freezing method and make larger batches 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006

Thanks Ron.  In reading the recipe, I can't seem to understand what they are saying below?  So, exactly how much wine???

4 cups, 3 tablespoons, 1-⅞ teaspoons, ¼ pinches Burgundy Wine (other Reds Will Work)

Apollo Beach, FL
  • RRP
    edited July 2016
    Wardster said:

Thanks Ron.  In reading the recipe, I can't seem to understand what they are saying below?  So, exactly how much wine???

4 cups, 3 tablespoons, 1-⅞ teaspoons, ¼ pinches Burgundy Wine (other Reds Will Work)

I never understood that either and just crossed it off my copy. I stick to 1 cup per pound. Funny thing - in all the comments that followed her posting back then no one has questioned that gobbledygook either!

BTW I never boil my water either!
  • mrs_story
    mrs_story Posts: 136
    RRP said:
    Don't you ever make something just for yourself to enjoy and not feel selfish? These freeze really well and when I make a 3 or 4 pound batch I divvy them up into serving sizes that I know we will like for a meal and freeze them in Tupperware. They stack nice and stay nice without freezer burn. I've even had a batch that was 14 months old and it was like fresh!

On occasion I do, but not too often.  If I want mushrooms, I'll pick some up and saute them for myself at lunch that day.  Or when I make miso soup I say, "To Hell with everyone else!" and fix it the way I want (lots of shiitake mushrooms, tofu, wakame, etc. . . . all the things they don't really like!).  Miso soup is for ME, and if they have some that's fine.  If they don't, more for me.  ;)

I might have gotten this from my Japanese mom, but there is this STRONG desire to please my loved ones with the food that I cook.  It gives me great joy/pleasure for them to enjoy whatever I've prepared for them.  So, if they don't like something, I just don't fix it very often.  Too bad for me, because if they enjoyed mushrooms we'd have them regularly. 

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    edited July 2016
    RRP said:
    Wardster said:

I never understood that either and just crossed it off my copy. I stick to 1 cup per pound. Funny thing - in all the comments that followed her posting back then no one has questioned that gobbledygook either!

If you google it her recipie on the food network website comes up. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • RRP
    edited July 2016
    XC242 said:
    RRP said:
    Wardster said:

If you google it her recipie on the food network website comes up. 
    yup - you are correct!
    http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/burgundy-mushrooms/

and here is the link I posted:
    http://tastykitchen.com/recipes/sidedishes/burgundy-mushrooms/

• HoosierBBQ
    HoosierBBQ Posts: 111
    Watching her show, there's not much that she makes that I don't think I would like. Those mushrooms look delicious!
    Grilling year round in Orlando, FL on a large BGE & Santa Maria
  • Luvnlife
    Luvnlife Posts: 219
    Wow, those look amazing!! 
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    We absolutely love burgundy mushrooms here.  I always make a huge batch but they never last for leftovers.    
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @RRP
    Ron, I would say that looks like money, but someone may think that I'm making a joke ;)
    Grest looking grub ole buddy. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Ron Burgundy Mushrooms.... Stay classy Central Illinois  =)
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    RRP got me hooked on these several years back, now everytime I am in Winn Dixie I look for the discounted shrooms, usually $1.00/lb and buy them all.  I tried this is a crock pot a few years back and the idea was great, but concluded tht the 3 hours with the top off is necessary.  Here is my latest method.  IHave a friendly wholesaler who sells me a 9=10/lb boxes around $8.00.

Mushrooms, Button, Burgundy, #2

INGREDIENTS:
    9 lbs White Button Mushrooms, apprx 400 pieces 
    3 Sticks Butter
    3 Tsp Worcestershire Sauce
    9 Cups Burgundy Wine, I use Carlo Rossi (other Reds Will Work)
    3 Tbs Freshly Ground Black Pepper
    4 cups Boiling Water
    7 Chicken Bouillon Cubes
    7 Beef Bouillon Cubes
    4 Tbs Dill Seed
    20-25 cloves Garlic  Clove, minced or pressed
    2 tsp Salt, I leave the salt out
    4 Tbs Kitchen Bouquet (Thanks to RRP for the idea)

PROCEDURE:

1. Thoroughly wash the mushrooms and throw them into a large stockpot. Add all the remaining ingredients except the salt. Stir to combine.

2. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for six hours.

3. Remove the lid, then continue cooking, uncovered, for three hours.

4. Add salt to taste at the end if desired. The mushrooms will be very dark in color. Simmer until needed. Server straight from the pot or in a serving bowl. Dip crusty bread in the juice---yum!

5. These freeze very well. 15-20 shrooms and cup liquid is a nice portion for 2 adults.

6. Mushrooms keep for days in the fridge. You'll love 'em!

7. Took out of the 10# box about 18-20 of the larger ones and stuffed with cream cheese, minced clams and some seasoning and baked on BGE for 20 minutes @ 325F.

Yield: 16 pints--1 cup mushrooms & 1 cup juice

Source
    Source: The Pioneer Woman, 2014/12/20

Author Notes
    Richard Fl 2014/12/20 Originally recipe from Pioneer Waman startedd with 4 #'s mushrooms but they go so fast thought I would try 9#'s.  Worked VERY well.  Also a few years back tried a batch in a crock pot but they did not have the flavor.  Worked well to cook them but the liquid had not thickened and had a watery texture.

These notes refer to the original Pioneer Woman for 4 #'s Shrooms

RRP -2014/12/14

Over the years I have made this several times and the great thing about the finished dish is it can be divided and frozen so it can be enjoyed with ease even a couple years later! I simply know that for my wife and I we will be full sharing 16 to 18 of these finished mushrooms so I divide from there. BTW count wise I have found a 4 pound package will have around 80 mushrooms.

I follow the recipe for the most part except for the 5 cloves of garlic instead of just leaving them peeled I prefer them to be smashed and scattered. Also 2 teaspoons of salt is not enough for our tastes and I use 4 teaspoons of coarse kosher salt instead. Also to enhance the deep rich color I add 1 teaspoon of Kitchen Bouquet.

The first time I made it I used a good burgundy which cost me $15 for a standard 750 ml bottle. Since then I have found that cheaper Glenook Burgundy from Kroger works just as well! Just don't use any old stale burgundy which may have already started to turn sour and have a vinegar smell or taste.

Though the recipe says 9 hours be sure to keep a good eye on them the last 3 hours when cooking uncovered as the liquid may bubble and get too concentrated, so cut it to 7 or 8 hours if need be, but I like too run the 9 hours myself.

Lastly as for freezing I divvy up the mushrooms into Food saver bags and then divide the delicious "juice" amongst the number of FS bags. Be sure the juice is still warm and the butter has not yet started to firm up. I then fold over the edge and just place a bag clip on the bags and stand them upright in a shallow dish and place all in the freezer. The next day when frozen then I seal the FS bags. This does two things...keeps the juice from being sucked into the machine plus now being frozen the mushrooms will retain their shape and will not be flattened into a glob that they would have been if vacuum sealed while still flexible.

One last thing - these are rich!!!

Ron

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    @Richard Fl- will this work okay in a crock pot if you remove the lid or does the crock pot not have enough horsepower to simmer/reduce?

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I have probably done 10 batches or so over the years and as long as the adult beverage holds up I would not make any changes, with the top on the mushrooms get nice and plumpy, but with the top- off would be afraid the liquid would evaporate.