Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak directly on the coals?

Options
JMJ
JMJ Posts: 52
I am curious about this. What are your experiences of this? Which steaks are most suitable? How long before flipping? What role does dome temp play? 
I wanna try this but of course I don't want to waste any meat on it... 

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,094
    Options
    I've done it once.  It was a fatty cut.  I flipped once.  The flames shooting up around my arms convinced me once was enough.  I didn't worry about dome temp.  Just wanted an even bed of all cherry red lump.

It was really good and a fun show. 
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    JMJ said:
    I am curious about this. What are your experiences of this? Which steaks are most suitable? How long before flipping? What role does dome temp play? 
    I wanna try this but of course I don't want to waste any meat on it... 
    I've never tried caveman but there are plenty of folks on here that have or still do.  In my mind, I was going to have a smaller fire and make sure it is all burning good...grey with little to no black.  Then I would just wing it from there.  On and flip and flip.  I'm thinking the cut can't be too thick either.  Others might chime in to help or with a different opinion.  Another option I'm considering is to SV it first and then directly on the coals with a nice thick cut.  Not sure which is best.  If I try it soon I'll report back but I bet you get a few good replies shortly.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
    I've done it a few times. The charcoal ash does seem to add flavor. Generally it's been with ribeye. I also look at the condition of the coal, but I'd guess it's in the 700-800 range. Wear a welding glove if you have it. Make sure it's a thick steak so you can get the sear before overcooking the steak.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    This thread has my quasi undivided attention. Squirrel. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I've done it.  I find it chars the outside without cooking the inside sufficiently.  I don't think it's an improvement.
    NOLA
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Reverse sear to 110 internal temp then directly on the coals for about 90 seconds per side. The coals directly under the steak were fiery red. Nothing stuck to the steak. Turned out very good. I have done it a few times now. As for dome temp, I just did reverse sear at 250, took the steak off then left the grill opened up, got the coals good and hot with a handheld leaf blower, then plopped the steak right on the coals. Did not close the lid or take any temps at that point.

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    That looks great.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Done several and like ribeye best. Couple mins at most per side. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Take a look thru Adam Perry Lang's Charred and Scruffed. using his butter baste and flipping a couple of times basting the just heated side, got a great crust. The issue for me was overcooking, maybe if done more often I'd get better at it. Definitely an experience worth having. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
    I pulled mine every few minutes to try and hit the temp.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Elijah said:
    I'll add some photos I drug up from a T-bone cook.

World class!
  • JMJ
    JMJ Posts: 52
    Options
    Great response - thanks all of you! Gotta try it. I've had my doubts after some bad experiences with the CI grid where, seemingly regardless of dome temp, it charres quite badly (flipped after 2,5 mins). Whatever - the coals themselves will do next time!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I've done Caveman many times. Other than using a CI pan it would fall as my #2 favorite on a cut with good marbeling characteristics. But, a CI pan wins with me most days. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I'm with @NPHuskerFL on this.  But the caveman as addressed above is an easy cook.  Just make sure you have an even, hot bed of lump and some good tongs.  Go for it-hot tub to around 110*F then flip around every 45 seconds or so til finished.  At least 1.5" thick steaks for me.  FWIW-
    Edit: dome open the entire cook.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Did 2 prime rib bone-in untrimmed this way tonite. 124 on thermo-pop then last 20 degrees direct on lump. Best steak ever. Just watch the temps...and wear gloves. Lump and ash don't stick. But gets hot real fast.