Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Frutia Wood Chunks Rule, others drool.

Options
YukonRon
YukonRon Posts: 16,989
Living in the city and having zero access to harvesting my own wood chunks, I got fed up the 14.99 a 5# bag of low grade wood. So from others in here, offering insight, I placed an order fo 50# of Peach a few months ago.
Phenominal is the only word I can use to describe the quality.
I was so impressed, I followed with a 50# of Pecan. Absolutely the finest smoking pecan wood I have ever used in the last 35 years.
Worth the price, quality wood, consistant size, great smoke. Fist sized chunks.
"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Smells good doesn't it

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    Mind your temps, that's going to make your fire burn hotter.  ;)
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    +2 for Fruita Wood. Thanks for the reminder @YukonRon, I need to take inventory and get another order put together. Love the U Pick Em option.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I love their wood.  If you are ever in the Grand Junction, Colorado, area be sure to stop in and say hi to the owner and buy some wood - even cheaper right at their store.  Ask for a tour of his backroom and you'll be impressed by their stock of wood.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Smells good doesn't it
    The peach makes my garage smell like a fruit stand. The Pecan, when I opened the box, was awesome.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

Lergume said:
    Mind your temps, that's going to make your fire burn hotter.  ;)
    I know. I do watch temps closely. But that is a very wise tip when smoking L&S. Thanks!

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

Dredger said:
    +2 for Fruita Wood. Thanks for the reminder @YukonRon, I need to take inventory and get another order put together. Love the U Pick Em option.
    My next order will be sugar maple. Should be doing so un a couple of weeks.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    edited July 2016
    Options

Shiff said:
    I love their wood.  If you are ever in the Grand Junction, Colorado, area be sure to stop in and say hi to the owner and buy some wood - even cheaper right at their store.  Ask for a tour of his backroom and you'll be impressed by their stock of wood.
    I certainly will. My Beautiful Wife and I frequent the area. I look forward to the opportunity. Their smoking wood, and the BGE is a combination that is hard to beat. Thank you for sharing the information.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I'm curious if anyone has tried both sweet cherry and wild cherry. Wanted to try sweet cherry for a while, but not sure if there's a smell or flavor difference. They recommend the sweet. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• YukonRon
    Options
    I've used both. Sweet is the way to go if tou can

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky