Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Mountain Bike - what to get??

Options
2»

Comments

• nolabrew
    nolabrew Posts: 246
    Options
    Find a popular trail for mountain bikers and go out there early one Saturday morning and steal one of their bikes when they're not looking.  That's how we procure mountain bikes in New Orleans.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Another option is asking the local LBS when they may be having a vendor event. Mine is a big Specialized dealer so the company is often sending a trailer of bikes that people get to test out on local trails.
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    You said you want to ride with wife and kids and also hard core bikers? Dude your gonna want 2 different bikes. There is no use for a full suspension for riding with the wife and kiddos as threre is no way they are going to ride that hard as well. I would say get a nice hard tail. If you want to spend a little more get it with a fox shock. And if you want to break the bank go carbon fiber. If you want to clime like a goat up the mountain trust me the lighter the better. 
    To find even a good hard tail new for 500 I would say won't happen. Fat tire bikes are great in the snow and a lot of fun but again to get a nice one will hit you 2K or more. And the catrike that was mentioned...very nice recumbent bike for road use only but damn 3K they are proud of them.
    You can't go wrong with any name brand really...trek, cannon dale, GT and many others. Go ride a few you will know when you get the right feel on the right bike.

1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • StillSmoken
    StillSmoken Posts: 327
    Options
    I bought a Trek hard tail about 4 years ago.  After moving to a new house and my bike sitting for 6 months the brakes were locked up completely.  I took it to my local bike shop and Trek put new brakes on it for FREE.   The shop said it would of cost me $400.   I sold on Trek.  
    Kennesaw Ga. XL Egg. Cheers, Kevin
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    I bought a Trek hard tail about 4 years ago.  After moving to a new house and my bike sitting for 6 months the brakes were locked up completely.  I took it to my local bike shop and Trek put new brakes on it for FREE.   The shop said it would of cost me $400.   I sold on Trek.  
    Mechanical discs? 
  • NC_Egghead
    NC_Egghead Posts: 786
    Options
    @WeberWho, love the vid! 
    @A5firearms, I see you're near Clemson. You are close to some of the best MTB trails on the east coast with DuPont, Pisgah, and Tsali. I've ridden Pisgah with my aforementioned buddies and was glad I had that full suspension bike under me. Where you are going to be doing most of your riding is a huge determining factor in the type of bike you will want/need. Good advice here about talking to your LBS since they have better knowledge about what you'll need for the local trails. You don't have to buy from them at first. Buy a used bike you can hand down to one of your kids when you're ready to upgrade, then go back to the dealer. A couple other excellent trails more local to me are at the White Water Center (water is still shut), and Lake Norman State Park. The LNSP trails are super smooth and flowey. Hit me up when you're ready to ride any of these. 
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    edited July 2016
    Options

If you have the means, then support your lbs. But if you are on a budget, get a $1000 msrp bike for $500 on Craigslist. It's much better than getting a brand new $500 msrp bike for $500.

also look into bikesdirect. Back when I used to be an enthusiast, I found their website.... And if you compare the components on one of their bikes to a similarly equipped brand name bike, you'll find that you are saving maybe 50% on a bike of the exact same quality. I am convinced their frames come out of the exact same Taiwanese factory as the brand names as well. You will need to be handy and assemble and tune yourself.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I can't find a good picture of it, but it's fun to build a bike.  I made this one from SWMBO's old mountain bike (I had to buy her a new Cannondale), new wheels, forks, seat, cargo system, some woodwork, handlebars, hydraulic brakes, etc.  It's our mardi gras portable bar transport system.

You can start with a decent frame and add to it.  Ebay is a good resource, build with good components.

well, it's not allowing me to upload the files.  They're on this page.

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1169825/brisket-camp-in-nola/p32

Options
    Before you spend any $$on a bike you need to decide how and where you are going to ride.  
    If you are planning to ride on mostly fire trails or bike paths then buy a bike for the frame not the components (those can be upgraded as you gain experience and riding miles).  A good mid range MB should cost between 500-1000.  
    If you are planning to ride single track groomed or ungroomed trails then then be prepared for wallet shrinkage.   (The cost are the components: full or hardtail suspension for stability, handling, traction and comfort; and high end components, including the headset that can to hold up under the stress of riding the trails.)
    Bikes, like any other personal items should be comfortable and be outfitted for the type of riding intended.  I would never take my Cooper (touring and club rides) or my SerottaTI (fast rides) on single track trails, nor would i ride my Trek mountain bike on a century ride.  (My sore body would remind for several days of that mistake).  
    Ride as many bike as you can to get the feel of how the bike handles and how your body reacts to the bike fit.  Also, take a test ride on two wheel recumbents and trikes.  Due diligence now will mean many years of enjoyable rides and not a uncomfortable bike just gathering dust.  
    (Our stable includes 2 road bikes, 2 touring bikes, 1Mtn, 1 tandem set up for fast rides and two Catrikes.  (The trikes are the ultimate for body comfort.)
    PM me for more info

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    First, resign yourself to the fact that you're going to need to drop 2K on the bike you truly need.

Then buy this->

http://www.jensonusa.com/Intense-Cycles/Intense-Spider-275A-Foundation-Bike-2015?cs=Black

Don't let folks convince you that all you need is a hardtail on real MTB trails. They suck.

Gittin' there...
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I've got an '06 GF Tiburon that I paid $300 for.
    Solid, like my Chevy. 

It's Al, and a little heavy, but the 700c wheels are nice on or off the trails.  The weight is great at handling the abuse it gets.

Between that, and my CF roadie, I'm covered for the riding I do.  A fatty will be the next one, would cut down time to and from the tree when hunting, and fun on the trails in winter.

Equally important as finding the bike via test rides, is having the bike professionally fit to you.  I see so many people riding with a poor fit.  

Yeah you could be "that dude", that buys an amazon or CL bike, roll it in, and they'd take care of ya.  But like the egg, or bow, or gun, it's good to build rapport with a LBS, to try things out, and get a proper fit.  You don't have to run right out and drop 2Gs on a bike to ride with the "cool kids".
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• badinfluence
    Options
    ^^^^^agree. But holy cow dude 31 lbs for s large frame? That is a tank for steep climbs. I do agree that even a really nice hard tail will still break his budget. But if he is riding with the family 95% of the time and his buddy's 5% then a really nice hard tail will still be a better bike then a cheap full suspension bike. 
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • badinfluence
    Options
    Brandon where is the spirit there brother? This is a egg forum. We need to talk him into the carbon fiber full suspension that he needs to buy for only 9K. It's HIS money we are spending not ours remember. =)

Clinton, Iowa
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Brandon where is the spirit there brother? This is a egg forum. We need to talk him into the carbon fiber full suspension that he needs to buy for only 9K. It's HIS money we are spending not ours remember. =)
    I hear ya.  =)

2Gs for Al is nuts.  I passed on a Specialized Secteur after I rode the Roubaix.  At that price, you might as well go full carbon.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• A5firearms
    A5firearms Posts: 163
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I know you guys are good at spending my money - you have been doing it for several years now!
    Lake Keowee, SC
    XLarge, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Custom Table, KAB, Woo2, Guru DigiQ DX2,
    Family of 5 Meat Eaters
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    A guy that works with me had been going above and beyond on a few projects and I wanted to do something nice for him. He is a big mountain biker. He told me he had just ordered a new one and I told him our company would pay for it as a way to show my appreciation...so I went over to pay for it at the local shop and $8000 later he loves his new full suspension Pivot bike. Whatever that is. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • A5firearms
    Options
    Not sure why my last post cut off at the first sentence, I wrote a novel that did not post. Very frustrating....

In any case, I stopped by my local bike shop here in Clemson and talked with the owner - great guy that spent quite a bit of time educating me. He did not try to sell me something that he had in stock which I liked.

He shared with me that they are in the midst of the model year changeout and that some of the bikes I was looking at are actually cheaper in the 2017 model with better components than they were in 2016.

The Giant Stance 27.5 is about $200 less this coming year ($1350) and has better derailers. He has a demo (GT Sensor) that he is going to let me take for several days in the next couple weeks to take out on the trails to be sure this is something I want to get into. 

I think in the end I will be looking at either the Giant Stance or Trance which both seem to be nice quality bikes with nice components for under $2k.

Let me know if you think I am going down the wrong path - thanks guys!
    Lake Keowee, SC
    Family of 5 Meat Eaters
  • A5firearms
    Options
    Hi54putty said:
    A guy that works with me had been going above and beyond on a few projects and I wanted to do something nice for him. He is a big mountain biker. He told me he had just ordered a new one and I told him our company would pay for it as a way to show my appreciation...so I went over to pay for it at the local shop and $8000 later he loves his new full suspension Pivot bike. Whatever that is. 
    Wow, that is awesome! Must be a great company you guys work for!
    Lake Keowee, SC
    Family of 5 Meat Eaters
  • badinfluence
    Options
    If it's the GT sensor 4.0 he is letting you demo you will love it I will bet. That is what I have now. Bad thing is unless they brought it back it is no longer made. Mine is a 2011 model.

Clinton, Iowa
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    Focker said:

2Gs for Al is nuts.
    Perhaps to some, but expect to pay more for American made frames.
    Gittin' there...
  • A5firearms
    Options
    If it's the GT sensor 4.0 he is letting you demo you will love it I will bet. That is what I have now. Bad thing is unless they brought it back it is no longer made. Mine is a 2011 model.
    I don't think it is. He said he sells his demos every year so I would guess this is a 2015 or 2016 model. It is the Senosr Carbon, all gloss black frame with black decals. He said it retails for about $4500 and he would be selling it for $2500. That is why I am a little hesitant, I know I will love it and it is outside my budget....
    Lake Keowee, SC
    Family of 5 Meat Eaters
  • badinfluence
    Options
    Yeah much nicer then mine for sure. Mine is aluminum frame not the carbon fiber. Hate to say it but 2500.00 would be a steal for that bike so dig deep if you do like it. Being a demo it would still have full warranty and a great start for a good friendship with your local dealer.

Clinton, Iowa
  • A5firearms
    Options
    Yeah much nicer then mine for sure. Mine is aluminum frame not the carbon fiber. Hate to say it but 2500.00 would be a steal for that bike so dig deep if you do like it. Being a demo it would still have full warranty and a great start for a good friendship with your local dealer.
    I know it and agree with you 100% which is why I am worried about taking it for a few days, I may not return it!
    Lake Keowee, SC
    Family of 5 Meat Eaters