Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Drunken Mistake - Lol

so... One too many adult beverages as I waited for the pit temp to drop (yep.. Over shot the temp also blamed on the drinks lol)

i finally out my pork butt on last night at about 1130-12.. Woke up this morning around 715... Pork but is rolling right along at 165 internal and pit temp is pretty stable. And then I remember, I never put the heat deflector in lol.. I've been cooking raised direct all night long. Doesn't look like much flare ups or issues thus far.. So we will see how she turns out.. I did however just add the deflector to finish. 

Anyone ever done this? Lol
Large BGE
36" BlackStone
Backwoods G2 Party
Yard full of other stuff to cook on

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
Professional Drinker & Home Cook

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,319
    Way to man up and if the piggy is doing well then you dodged a bullet.  Better to be lucky than good any day.  
    Haven't had that type event happen but I have totally forgotten (until the next AM) that I cooked and consumed a batch of ABT's.  No left-overs and no outward indicators of any cook even happening.  (And yes I was well into the adult supervisory beverages.)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    This could be an interesting thread. 

True Confessions
    New Albany, Ohio 

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,569
    edited July 2016
    Can't say that I have... But I like the way you roll.. You are a man after my own heart.. =).. Have a great day... Just saw your signature.. LOL..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • bradleya123
    bradleya123 Posts: 466
    I've had a few frosty cold adult beverages while egg' but haven't cook anything long enough to effect the outcome.  Next weekend will be my test as we are planning on a Boston Butt!  We shall see, thanks for the warning!!  LOL
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• EggSmokeVa
    EggSmokeVa Posts: 378
    Lol you guys are awesome. Luckily this is for a small gathering and not one of the larger ones I do... I am really testing out the theory that "it's hard to screw up a pork butt" lol.. I'll post pics later
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I bet you will have a little bit of "leather" on the bottom and the rest will be great. I would wrap it in a couple layers of foil to attempt to soften it up.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    I really hope this becomes the new way to do pulled pork. Get drunk, don't look at temp, wake up the next morning to the smell of awesomeness. I think you're onto something....

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,332
    If worse comes to worse the bottom of the butt will be hard and crusty, but the pork on the inside will be fine. In my beginner days I attempted to smoke a butt on a Weber kettle direct and that's what I experienced. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• BBQbutler
    BBQbutler Posts: 82
    Pork fat rules!
    LBGE , 22.5 & 18 WSM, 26.25 Kettle, Jennair Gasser, & a plethora of mobile Webers 
    Avid Cubs - Jaguars - Seminole fan. 
    Jacksonville, FL
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,569
    I think @Mickey would prolly win the unsupervised and over indulgence prize for his famous chicken wings pic.. =)  
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Look up Lexington BBQ, they cook on a grid and have NO deflector. They just have a bed of coals from hardwood logs. Oh heck here's a link.http://www.traveladdicts.net/2015/12/lexington-barbecue-north-carolina.html

Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    I agree. Way to man up and admit you made an "oops". And I applaud you even more for covering afterwards by saying you are testing the theory it is really really hard to mess up a pork butt. Well done!! 

To combat the bottom which is probably really dry, instead of wrapping the whole thing, I wonder if you put it in a pan for the rest of the cook if it would not save the bottom by soaking in its rendered fat.  I do not think I would wrap the whole thing.  Not sure.  Thinking as I type. 

Carry on!! 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Standing by for the results
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • EggSmokeVa
    Sea2Ski said:
    I agree. Way to man up and admit you made an "oops". And I applaud you even more for covering afterwards by saying you are testing the theory it is really really hard to mess up a pork butt. Well done!! 

To combat the bottom which is probably really dry, instead of wrapping the whole thing, I wonder if you put it in a pan for the rest of the cook if it would not save the bottom by soaking in its rendered fat.  I do not think I would wrap the whole thing.  Not sure.  Thinking as I type. 

Carry on!! 
    Strangely enough man... The bottom looks/feels the same as always... I was almost certain there would have been bad flare ups and burnt the bottom.. (I always cook fat cap down too) but to my surprise... Looks about the same as always. 

Itll ll be done here soon.. Serving around 1-2pm est 
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
  • EggSmokeVa

Good bark.. Currently at 192 internal temp.. Gonna let her go a tad bit longer then wrap and hold until serving 
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
  • Gamecockeggman
    Gamecockeggman Posts: 1,329
    Sounds like the bbq adult beverage gods have smiled upon you
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Nope, I have never done this.  I try not to drink till the food is on.  Looks like you your drop pan helped with going a little indirect.  Looks like you also went far side down so you should be good.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • cfuller3
    cfuller3 Posts: 33
    Got a kick out of this post.  Your pork looks like it survived well enough, those wings that were 'shared'...... heck, they could be used as charcoal for the next 'cook'......     nice, real nice.
    Portsmouth, VA.  LBGE.  Missed all this fun till now.   Update: Minimax added to arsenal. Hint, don't take off camping for a month after getting a LBGE, and leave it home, it'll cost you plenty.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited July 2016
    No worries, it'll still be better than a perfectly cooked brisket. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,319
    @Focker - that's blasphemy right there.  I would hit the disagree button but I am having a moment of clarity right now.  Besides, don't you have a dishwasher to run??  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Lol
    Go ahead, disagree away my friend.  Was hoping to break a record for the most disagrees in one reply.  =)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I think @fishlessman likes to cook butts raised direct.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Man last week I did 3 in a row and on the third shoulder I reloaded the charcoal and forgot to put the setter back in. About three hours later my neighbor just heard me swearing at the ground when I came outside to check the temp and saw it laying on the ground. He was laughing his @$$ off. 

Morale of the story. Sometimes drinking and Egging has consequences. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Deny. Deny. Deny. I'll take it to the grave. :lol:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,023
    What @Mickey isn't telling everyone was he was attempting to make high quality lump from chicken.  It was an eggsperiment.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Funny - it will probably turn out better than you're predicting! 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Takes a lot to mess up a butt. I think it will be fine. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Those wings, hahahaha
    Austin, Tx
  • Smoker317
    Smoker317 Posts: 238
    Waiting for the outcome!!!  But it is totally yummy when pulled and mixed in a finishing sauce together!  Probably won't know the difference...
    Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone