Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BRINING

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
FIRST ATTEMPT AT SMOKING A TURKEY. WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF BRINING THE BIRD BEFORE SMOKING. ALSO ANY ADVICE IS MUCH APPRECIATED.
THANKS,

Comments

• T-BONE,[p] Short answer is: makes the meat more juicy. Longer answers can be found at:[p]SF Chronicle Article

and

[url=http://x21.deja.com/[ST_rn=if]/getdoc.xp?AN=551034924&CONTEXT=943281945.2143223815&hitnum=1]Brining FAQ[/url][p]MikeO

• T-BONE,[p]I don't know how much help or advise you want but here is my "Perfect Turkey" Brining recipe. It makes crisp-skin and juicy meat. Note: I prefer smoking small birds, no more than 14 LBS, because they cook more evenly.[p]Dissolve 4cups of kosher salt or 2cups of table salt in 2 Gallons of water. Add turkey and refrigerate at 40 degrees for 4 to 6 hours. Remove turkey from salt water and rinse well under cool running water. Pat dry inside and out with paper towels. Then smoke bird breast side up. I prefer cooking at about 250 degrees and figure 35 minutes per pound. Meat should be 185 degrees when done. I have found the best place to put the thermoter is under the wing between the joint and the bird. Be sure not to hit a bone.
  • Hog Euker,[p]Upon review of my post I do have a clarification. I refrigrerate bird in the brine for approximately 12 hrs then remove and rinse with cool running water and pat dry with paper towels. Then I refrigerate the dry bird 4 to 6 hours. Sorry for the confusion.