Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yet another First Spatchcook Chicken Cook

Options
Stormbringer
Stormbringer Posts: 2,069
edited July 2016 in Poultry
 First time doing spatchcock. I read a lot of posts from this forum on the subject, and after much deliberation at work *cough* I decided to go for direct on our large. I could have gone for direct on the MM but without the ability to raise (e.g. woo ring), I think it would have been burned. So I went for large egg and used fire bricks to raise the grid to the felt line. Rub was along the lines of the one @Mickey recommended, with a couple of changes:
  • 1 tbsp dark sugar
  • 1 tbsp ground mocha coffee
  • 1 tbsp salt
  • 2 tsp granulated garlic
  • 1 tsp black and red pepper
  • 1 tsp lemon pepper
  • 1/2 tsp chilli powder
I spatched and coated the chicken:

then loaded it into the egg with the grid raised (oh for an AR or Woo with extender):

I thought that I may have put on too much rub so removed a bit. The bird when cooked (breast at 165F):

The skin wasn't crisp so I flipped it for a couple of minutes:

then took it out, it looked and smelled fantastic:

Served with a tomato, watermelon and feta salad (and a bottle of Adelsheim Pinot Noir):

For next time I want to try raising it into the dome some more, and will also use less rub.

A great meal and a big thanks to this forum for what I have learned so far ... and learning that there is still a long way to go. It will be fun.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
| My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    That rub looked a little heavy. 
    Your bird looks good.
    Note: remember on the MM you can just put less lump in and have the same effect as raising the grate. Also get a Woo for the MM or just cut a few of those bricks in half and use them.
    As to the dome. Getting it or whatever high into the dome is great for cooking chickens to pizzas. 
    Once more, nice bird...
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• HelenGrace203
    Options
    Looks good!  I'm trying my first spatched birds this weekend, with the Blueberry BBQ Sauce recipe in the main BGE web page (made it today -- good!!).
  • mrs_story
    mrs_story Posts: 136
    Options
    Looks yummy!  BUT . . . I have to ask . . . did the cats approve?  ;)
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    congrats on a good cook.  personally I would not have used that much rub on a yard bird as a gentleman commented above.  But glad that it worked well for you. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Looks awesome! Raised direct is the way to go for chicken IMO!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,069
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @JethroVA - it was too much, i brushed 50% of it off halfway through. I'm still learning :).

@mrs_story - the cats did approve.

@Mickey - I can get some ceramic kiln spacers which I think will do the job on the minimax. I will try with not much lump in our MM once I get the spacers. And one day I'll pull the trigger on CGS kit for our two eggs. I wish there was an importer in the UK.
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Looks good to me!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    I would say you passed with flying colors !!!! Also great pics..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....