Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

91% alcohol question

Options

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Flashback!  =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Do people still make PJ (Purple Jesus)? Grain, grape juice and a citrus soft drink (as I recall). Also, some fruit (grapes or cherries) marinated overnight in the grain before mixing in the rest. Mixed in gallon jugs (or a galvanized trash can =) ). I haven't heard it mentioned in about 40 years.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    We can buy Everclear in the liquor store. It's not explosive when lit. It does burn hot though. They also sell this which is the same thing.

At 95% it is just ethyl alcohol and the little bit of water that is too hard to remove from the alcohol. 
    I think 95% ethanol/water is where the azeotrope is (so your limit on distillation).  In order to get higher purity you'd have to use a secondary process (like mole sieves) to 'filter' out the water.
    Bravo, you are correct!
    Options
    @Carolina Q - I lived thru the Purple Jesus college era around the same time frame as you mention.  We used the trash can for the container and there were some pretty incredible outcomes after one of those parties.  I have two sons who covered the college scene from 2005-2013 and only heard of a grain induced punch one time and it was not a Purple Jesus blend.  Must be much more refined these days.  Thanks for the recall-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • hogfan412
    hogfan412 Posts: 75
    Options
    we buy it by the truckload in Arkansas
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Well - I found EVERCLEAR at a local liquor store here in IL. I was determined to try it for a while in spite of having to pay $47 for a half gallon bottle! I don't spend that kind of money on hard liquor that I consume, but I'm going to use this to light my eggs??? Have I gone nuts??? :o
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options
    Why not just buy a mapp torch? I think some would classify this as alcohol abuse.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    RRP said:
    Well - I found EVERCLEAR at a local liquor store here in IL. I was determined to try it for a while in spite of having to pay $47 for a half gallon bottle! I don't spend that kind of money on hard liquor that I consume, but I'm going to use this to light my eggs??? Have I gone nuts??? :o
    Everclear works great for apple pie shots. You won't be able to taste the Everclear and you'll start feel loose in no time!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    What is driving your interest in using Everclear to start your fires? Just curious? Want to experiment? Bored with your current methods of starting ?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    Options
    For lighting your egg, isopropyl alcohol is much cheaper.
    Options
    Or fat.

Options
    For lighting your egg, isopropyl alcohol is much cheaper.
    well crap! too late now as I can't take this bottle back for a refund! The purpose of my thread started last night was inquiring of those who prefer using alcohol and soon it switched to the powerful EVERCLEAR. Oh well - guess I'm still living and learning by my mistakes!
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    If you want to forget what happened the night before, just have a little Everclear.  I don't touch the stuff anymore.  Mix it right and won't taste it either.  Dangerous stuff in more ways then one.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • RRP
    edited July 2016
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    What is driving your interest in using Everclear to start your fires? Just curious? Want to experiment? Bored with your current methods of starting ?
    yes - bored and wanting to try something faster when the need is there. While I have a MAPP torch I'm actually too impatient to stand there fiddling with it. The chimney has never appealed to me. Electric would be a PITA for me. Napkin and oil and/or starter blocks are my go to methods, but when I have to hustle to get a fire up I double up on starter packets. It just sounded like EVERCLEAR might be my fall back to a flame thrower!
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Inject it in a watermelon and put in the fridge, few hours later enjoy...sparingly.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Don't forget the ice luge for it as well.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Do people still make PJ (Purple Jesus)? Grain, grape juice and a citrus soft drink (as I recall). Also, some fruit (grapes or cherries) marinated overnight in the grain before mixing in the rest. Mixed in gallon jugs (or a galvanized trash can =) ). I haven't heard it mentioned in about 40 years.
    Now you add codeine for Purple Drank/sizzurp 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    RRP said:
    HeavyG said:
    yes - bored and wanting to try something faster when the need is there. While I have a MAPP torch I'm actually too impatient to stand there fiddling with it. The chimney has never appealed to me. Electric would be a PITA for me. Napkin and oil and/or starter blocks are my go to methods, but when I have to hustle to get a fire up I double up on starter packets. It just sounded like EVERCLEAR might be my fall back to a flame thrower!
    It's been a long time (decades) since I have used a liquid accelerant to start a charcoal fire but I don't recall that they are really any faster to putting food on a grate than many other methods.

Easier perhaps, since you just pour and ignite, but they don't really get a pile of charcoal turned into ready to use coals any faster. 
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• mikeinccfl
    mikeinccfl Posts: 119
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    RRP said: Seemed sort of expensive for a fire starter or do you buy it some place other than a drug store so you can get a price break in larger quantity?
    You can feed your belly and your egg with this if concerned about expense:  =)
    Should probably dose the egg first so you don't have to worry about forgetting to light the lump. Getting dinner started though...
    L BGE, XL appetite
    Cape Coral, FL
  • Carolina Q
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Seriously?! Wait till @SGH hears about this! "If I had Ron's money..." :rofl:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    RRP ...I just squirt a little  bit (~2-3 ounces) at 12 oclock and wait a few (30 seconds) and light it.

I get mine at Walmart or Sams.

That is all I use now....along with my Rockwood !!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• RRP
    Options
    dldawes1 said:
    RRP ...I just squirt a little  bit (~2-3 ounces) at 12 oclock and wait a few (30 seconds) and light it.

I get mine at Walmart or Sams.

That is all I use now....along with my Rockwood !!!
    "squirt" is a relative term - what kind of bottle do you use? Does it mist, or is it a stream? When you say 12 o'clock that means at the far back to me - is that what you meant?
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    RRP said:
    Have I gone nuts??? :o
    Ron, I have always heard that money will drive a man insane. If that is true, then I'm willing to bet that you are nuttier than a fruit cake my rich friend :D

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    2-3 liquid ounces....yes squirt is relative...but I do not have a better term, sorry !!  The bottles have a 1/4 inch (pretty big...to me) round hole in the top that the alcohol squirts out of.

12 oclock....I come out about 2-4 inches from the back wall ( at 12 oclock). Squirt a wet spot about 6 inches round.

I feel like I'm talking dirty !!!!!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I suppose you want to squirt the stuff where you want the fire to start.
    Options
    I suppose you want to squirt the stuff where you want the fire to start.
    Analysis paralysis 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    TWSS-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I use the point of a sharp pencil to make a small hole in the seal on the bottle of alcohol.  I do use a chimney now but just used to squirt it on the charcoal and light. I switched to the chimney since the fire starts much faster and the alcohol doesn't have any odor and no pieces of burning paper to cause any problems.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Years ago we had a  alcohol stove in my 21 ft Catalina. I would not light it as no way to see how much alcohol was slopped around the damn stove and did not want a fire in that small a boat in the middle of the lake.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Friday night rocket fuel
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker