Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gladiator tables and matching drawers/cabinets

kjs
kjs Posts: 111
Anyone have any thoughts on using one of these Gladiator (by Whirlpool?) tables, available from Lowes, as a prep table, and table for my MM to sit on? My wife really likes the ability to pair it with some of their cabinets or drawers, to keep all the accessories out of sight when not in use. Think these tables could be kept outside?

http://www.lowes.com/pl/Work-benches-Work-benches-tool-stands-Tool-storage-work-benches/4294857655?refinement=4294964195

Comments

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Seems expensive for what you get.  Custom made tables are a better bet in my opinion.  You spend a bit more, but get much better in return.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • coomdaddy
    coomdaddy Posts: 128
    Man, they are proud of them.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I went to World Market the day I bought my MM to get an outdoor table. I bought a small one that it would fit on, then I went to Lowe's and bought a ceramic tile, that fit perfextly on the top. Total $24.00. Works perfectly for my needs.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    edited July 2016
    You will probably need to refinish the top with something like spar urethane, to withstand the elements. Depends on where you live. 

I got this from Ikea 2-3 years ago.
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40323022/

@RRP helped with advise on refinishing the edge-glued top with several coats of spar urethane. It has held up pretty well. I will likely replace the top in a couple of years, with something that will last longer. The frame is wood, so it is still in good condition. That island fit my needs perfectly because the water and electrical stubs for my patio tuck in nicely underneath. I also liked that the shelves are made of ss.  

Have you checked out the ss table options at places like Sams?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • kjs
    kjs Posts: 111
    I have looked into stainless steel tables, but I wifey likes the possibility to pair these tables with the matching cabinets/drawers to keep everything out of sight.