Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where Aaron Franklin goes for BBQ

2»

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Jeremiah said:
    Damn I wish I lived in Texas. 
    You can get pretty much the same thing at John Lewis's place in Charleston at the same price too!  

Not as good though, at least at his LaBBQ place.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Jeremiah said:
    You can get pretty much the same thing at John Lewis's place in Charleston at the same price too!  

I think we need judge it!  Road trip!  

Based off what @The Cen-Tex Smoker said, it's the real deal Lucile.  For @Jeremiah to hit up Austin or go in-state, the small details could be small in relation to mileage.   
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    $2/lb cheaper at Valentina's, that'll cover gas, right?
  • tarheelmatt
    Legume said:
    $2/lb cheaper at Valentina's, that'll cover gas, right?
    Gas is cheap these days, why not.  He's got that fancy camper too.  

Think Cen said he's a $1 more than A-A-Rons.
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Lol that trip is gonna have to wait till we get a real camper. By that time @cazzy 's place will be the place to go!
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    I viewed this post yesterday on the iPhone. Wanted to stop back by and just say:
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Jeremiah said:
    There are 2 types of people in this world- those who live in Texas... And those who haven't moved here yet :smiley:

funny thing is, more than the BBQ , I enjoy the Asian food in Houston. For instance , you can pick almost any region in China, and you can find a couple of good places that cook food from that region.  

And @mickey, you're probably the retired person who I envy the most. Please let Gary know that I was thinking of him when I went shopping at the Daido Japanese market a few weeks ago. He had told me about that place a long time ago, and I finally got around to going there. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    40 dollars is my weekly food and entertainment budget =) looks good though, would be the first beef rib i did not cook. they need to put a 50 dollar lobster roll on the menu ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    40 dollars is my weekly food and entertainment budget =) looks good though, would be the first beef rib i did not cook. they need to put a 50 dollar lobster roll on the menu ;)
    I think you sent me here in Kennybunkport and $30 a plate for the very best clams. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Toxarch said:
    Jeremiah said:
    @nolaegghead admittingly I've never stepped foot on Texas soil but I'm guessing you're referring to political differences? (As I'm from South Carolina so the climate isn't very different)
    There's always a petition in Austin to become it's own state in the middle of Texas. It is a very liberal city and Californians are moving there in droves making it more so. Austin, Dallas, and much of Houston are liberal cities. The rest of the state is mostly conservative. The state is 900 miles across, it's going to be diverse. But lots of good barbecue all around, but with that comes a lot of mediocre barbecue too. Just gotta know where to eat.
    Since Texas is so large, it really has kind of different states or areas that make it up.  Whether you want west texas, hill country, plains, east texas woods, the coast, or the valley.  Kind of something for everyone, and even Austin for the liberals.  I have lived there my whole life, and there are certainly parts I would never move to.  

With that, comes a lot of different styles of BBQ.  We have some outstanding BBQ, but probably 9 out of 10 BBQ places you pick will be average or worse.  I rarely ever eat out BBQ because of that unless it is a specific place I have been wanting to try.  Not going to spend the money at a place I dont know and probably end up overpaying for mediocre BBQ.  
    Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    the clam shack is one of the best places for fried clams. its amazing what can be charged for maybe 3 dollars of clams and a 50 cent tater, same with those rib prices =) those are mud clams verse the sand clams(ipswich clams) sold in most of the other places to the south, very distinctive flavor
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,723
    That looks incredible!!!! I've heard great things about Valentina's.  I'm planning on going there next time I come to visit my friends in Austin.  I've been meaning to plan a trip out there but haven't found the time.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Best part of Austin is the people.  Smart, creative, interesting and weird.  Worst part is the traffic. 

Good food, good music.  And I love the Texas hill country.  They have their own style, although those frikkin Texas stars drive me nuts, but probably like the fleur de lis drives everyone nuts when in New Orleans.
    That's funny @nolaegghead the stars bugged me when I moved here, that and the shape of Texas everywhere.  I got over it.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Jeremiah said:

Based off what @The Cen-Tex Smoker said, it's the real deal Lucile.  For @Jeremiah to hit up Austin or go in-state, the small details could be small in relation to mileage.   
    I went to LaBBQ 2 years ago with CT and it was like a backyard brisket. Pretty good, but not mind-blowing. CT said he must have been having an off day. I then went to Franklin a few days later and had the orgasmic experience that everyone talks about. Last fall, we tried to stop at LaBBQ again but they were sold-out, so we drove over to Valentinas. CT said it was the best decision ever, if I recall. If I'm ever in North Charleston when Lewis' place is open, I'll have to give it a try.
  • Mickey
    Best part of Austin is the people.  Smart, creative, interesting and weird.  Worst part is the traffic. 

Good food, good music.  And I love the Texas hill country.  They have their own style, although those frikkin Texas stars drive me nuts, but probably like the fleur de lis drives everyone nuts when in New Orleans.
    Nothing about Salado buddy?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    edited July 2016
    Jeremiah said:

I went to LaBBQ 2 years ago with CT and it was like a backyard brisket. Pretty good, but not mind-blowing. CT said he must have been having an off day. I then went to Franklin a few days later and had the orgasmic experience that everyone talks about. Last fall, we tried to stop at LaBBQ again but they were sold-out, so we drove over to Valentinas. CT said it was the best decision ever, if I recall. If I'm ever in North Charleston when Lewis' place is open, I'll have to give it a try.
    I know this will offend people.... But..I was down there last month.  Franklins brisket was better than LA BBQ...  Franklins ribs and pork were meh.  Had plenty better.  I had a few non bbq places in austin that made the trip worthwhile.  I would have been dissapointed driving that far for that brisket alone.

I'm not sure what the deal is honestly with everybody obsessed with Franklin.  Plenty of people can make better Q than him.  He was at a comp around here a while back that a few guys I know were at (I believe it was on his show as well)  he didn't do very good.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Hi54putty said:
    Valentina's is one of the best meals I have ever eaten. I am going to Lewis BBQ today for lunch. I have high hopes. It has gotten great reviews...of course. 
    How was it?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Mickey
    edited July 2016
    cazzy said:
    Hi54putty said:
    Valentina's is one of the best meals I have ever eaten. I am going to Lewis BBQ today for lunch. I have high hopes. It has gotten great reviews...of course. 
    How was it?
    Caz it was the VERY BEST BEEF RIB I have ever had. OUTSTANDING.... Gary was going to order brisket sandwiches and I told him I had seen this beef rib on the web site pictures and lets go there. Had no idea it was so far South (new Gary's house). Thought it was downtown.
    So how was Lewis BBQ?

• cazzy
    Mickey said:
    cazzy said:
    Hi54putty said:
    How was it?
    Caz it was the VERY BEST BEEF RIB I have ever had. OUTSTANDING.... Gary was going to order brisket sandwiches and I told him I had seen this beef rib on the web site pictures and lets go there. Had no idea it was so far South (new Gary's house). Thought it was downtown.
    So how was Lewis BBQ?

Awesome!!  I've heard nothing but great things...and I really look forward to trying their tacos.

That's what I was asking @Hi54putty since he said he was going their for lunch.  John put a lot of time and thought into his new spot.  4 - 1,000 gallon pits and a custom sausage cooker.  His pit room is very sexy.  I plan to visit later this year.
  • tarheelmatt
    cazzy said:
    Mickey said:
    cazzy said:
    Hi54putty said:
    How was it?
    So how was Lewis BBQ?

Awesome!!  I've heard nothing but great things...and I really look forward to trying their tacos.

That's what I was asking @Hi54putty since he said he was going their for lunch.  John put a lot of time and thought into his new spot.  4 - 1,000 gallon pits and a custom sausage cooker.  His pit room is very sexy.  I plan to visit later this year.
    If not an intrusion, you should let us know when you're there.  Maybe some of us can meet there so you can buy ours. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • cazzy
    cazzy said:
    Mickey said:
    cazzy said:
    Hi54putty said:
    How was it?
    So how was Lewis BBQ?

If not an intrusion, you should let us know when you're there.  Maybe some of us can meet there so you can buy ours. 
    Buy your what?  
  • tarheelmatt
    cazzy said:
    cazzy said:
    Mickey said:
    cazzy said:
    Hi54putty said:
    How was it?
    So how was Lewis BBQ?

Buy your what?  
    BBQ from Lewis.  You plan to go and not eat his Q? 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • cazzy
    cazzy said:
    cazzy said:
    Mickey said:
    cazzy said:
    Hi54putty said:
    How was it?
    So how was Lewis BBQ?

Buy your what?  

Yeah, I'm just not sure why I'm buying.   :D
  • tarheelmatt
    cazzy said:
    cazzy said:
    cazzy said:
    Mickey said:
    cazzy said:
    Hi54putty said:
    How was it?
    So how was Lewis BBQ?

Buy your what?  

Yeah, I'm just not sure why I'm buying.   :D
    Well, I tried.  We'll just try to get someone else to get our bill then Caz.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    cazzy said:
    Hi54putty said:
    How was it?
    It was very very good. We got there right at 11 which worked out perfectly for my schedule today. There were about 10 people in line ahead of us. It was not as good as Valentina's, but as good as any I have had other than that. Also, really cool set up and you can tell they put a lot of thought into it. Everyone working there was extremely nice. I would highly recommend it. Can't wait to go back. 

I was in Austin in February. The owner of Valentina's showed me around his pit and talked shop with me for about 15 minutes. I was there in the middle of a Tuesday afternoon and it was slow. That extra attention plus the outstanding brisket and sausage puts it at the top of my list. 

I'm really excited about having Lewis Barbecue available when I'm in Charleston. They are going to kill it there. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    cazzy said:
    Mickey said:
    cazzy said:
    Hi54putty said:
    How was it?
    So how was Lewis BBQ?

We spent $90 on enough food to feed about 3 hungry guys lunch...maybe. Good food ain't cheap. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    @Mickey how were the flies? Last few times I've eaten there the flies have been horrible.  Takeout for me the last few trips, but that was before it got hot.
  • Mickey
    Legume said:
    @Mickey how were the flies? Last few times I've eaten there the flies have been horrible.  Takeout for me the last few trips, but that was before it got hot.
    Not a problem Thur at 11:30. Did not notice them at all.... Just wish it was not on the far side of Austin to me.