Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Mountain Bike - what to get??

Options
Since I turned 40 I feel like I need to get into a hobby that gets my heartbeat up and gets me out exercising. I am fairly active, but it is all stuff that does not really get me moving to much, such as boating, riding Harley's, etc. When I get into something I like to start off with something somewhat good, but holy cow I never imagined that a "decent" full suspension mountain bike could run into the thousands... I have read that the Walmart bikes of the world feel like you are riding with flat tires and are a total waste of money. I stopped in a bike shop today and the guy was super nice and led me to their "cheapest" full suspension bike which was a Giant that started at $1500, then Santa Cruz at $2000. Not sure I want to jump in that deep out of the gate, so I searched craigslist thinking I might get into something used but the options are crazy. What would you guys point me towards in the $500 range used? What should I stay away from? What should I look closely at when buying used? Need some advice here, I feel overwhelmed and don't want to make an expensive rookie mistake. Thanks for the insight!!
Lake Keowee, SC
XLarge, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
Custom Table, KAB, Woo2, Guru DigiQ DX2,
Family of 5 Meat Eaters

Comments

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I'm a bit older. Got a new Raleigh about 10 years ago. No mountain action just cruising da hood. It works for me. $400 or so.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I don't know anything about MTBs, but I will say this regarding bikes. You do get what you pay for. I bought a cheapo years ago from a big box store. A real POS, but what did I know? I started riding with a friend who was in no better shape than I was in and I COULD NOT keep up with him!

Before long, I decided to buy a better bike. Went to my local bike shop, spent more than I wanted to... and my friend couldn't keep up with ME! A HUGE difference - in every respect. 

Just so you'll feel a bit better, the road bikes used by the pros in the Tour de France are valued at $15K or more. :) I've heard of guys who pay cash for their car so they can take out a loan for their bike.

One last note, the Dura-Ace rear shifter on my road bike died a few years ago. Replacement cost me $300. For ONE brake lever/shifter! 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited July 2016
    Options
    You should be able to get a decent Trek or Specialized for $600-700.

Then again, I haven't shopped them for several years, so I may be way off.

Here's an aluminum framed bike in that range:  http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/mountain-bikes/sport-mountain-bikes/marlin/marlin-6/p/2016600-2016

NOLA
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I have a Gary Fisher (Trek now ) that is a good ten years old that I love. It was a 1k bike back then. Fortunately you can get quality, entry level bikes for under 1k. You don't need a full suspension bike. I take my hardtail on some of the best mountain bike trails in the country in Brown County State Park right up the road. I suggest an aluminum framed 29er 

http://graygoatsports.com/m/product/raleigh-tekoa-240758-1.htm
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,113
    Options
    I ride a lot so take this as my thoughts-
    You absolutely get what you pay for- and before I dropped that money I would start with a decent hardtail from Craigslist and see if you even like it.

I progressed as follows when I got back into biking in my late 30s- turn 50 this year.
    Rode my original MTB from College
    Upgraded to a Haro Hardtail
    Upgraded to a Haro FS-  Sold Hardtail
    Bought a Scott Road Bike on Craigslist- I learned that after all these years I still HATE road biking.  I rode that for a 13 mile each way commute for 3 years and I hated that bike- still own it, road it Sunday and I still hate it.  Luckily I paid for a used ride.
    Bought a Redline 29er Monocog
    Sold FS for lack of use after sitting in garage for 4 years.

In all that I am about 3500 into bikes and I love the least expensive one of the bunch the best.  I sold the FS as to me it felt like a 70s cadillac rolling on new asphalt- lost the feel of the trail.

So after you buy the 1st used bike to determine you like it then-
    1. buy as much bike as you can afford with the best components.  Used bikes are likely about 40% of new at the 2 yr mark.
    2. Buy a 29er for sure, buy a fatbike even- this style will be my next bike.
    3. The more 'stuff' on the bike- FS, Gears, Disc Brakes, Dropper Post, Fancy Hubs and Rims the more expensive the replacement from the inevitable crash.  You can minimize this w learning your own repairs but the tool cost is high as well.
    4.  You will also spend a fortune on non bike gear- shoes, clip in pedals, padded shorts (baggies), dry fit shirts, helmet, glasses, gloves.  Maybe a Garmin to track rides, want to ride at night- (2) lights- bar and helmet I have even seen guys with Night Vision Goggles.  Add a gopro to film your crashes.  Hydration- Camelback or some polar bottles.  You need a rack on your car to get to the trails.  Enough stuff on you to 'fix' your bike- Tubes (or tubeless and all that fun), light tools, inflator, maybe a seat bag

You think your egg habit is expensive.... my bike Habit is worse- most bikers will tell you that the optimum number of bikes is how many you have plus one.  This list of 'rules' is for Roadies but you can get a feel for the cult of bikers from it.
    http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • AVEngineer
    AVEngineer Posts: 120
    Options
    Like others have said, you get what you pay for, but if you are shopping at a local bike shop you are usually in good hands. Ride several bikes before making a choice, and visit several shops as well. I have always rode a hard tail Trek, and prefer it over a full suspension. I know Trek does a demo day where they offer most of the popular bikes for riding on local trains, check with the local dealer in a date.  I ride my road bike more than my mountain bike and between my wife and I we have a small investment in them, including a road tandem. 

Dont worry, there is no shortage of gadgets to buy and upgrade once you finally make your purchase. So that part is no different than owning an Egg. 
    Medium BGE , iGrill2
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Get a good used namebrand hardtail bike from craigslist.
    Options
    Look for a good used one like said above. I picked up a giant in good shape for 50 bucks on Craigslist. 

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• nolaegghead
    Options
    If it has hydraulic brakes, it's probably a decent bike.  Also look at the other stuff, but this is a good initial indicator of a higher end bike.
    Options
    As everyone said above why do you need a full suspension? They are great on a rough downhill but I don't know what kind of terrain you will be riding. If you do go full suspension get one that you can lock the suspension. In a clime you definitely want to lock the rear suspension.

fyi I ride a Gt sensor 4.0 it is no longer made.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    As everyone said above why do you need a full suspension? They are great on a rough downhill but I don't know what kind of terrain you will be riding. If you do go full suspension get one that you can lock the suspension. In a clime you definitely want to lock the rear suspension.

fyi I ride a Gt sensor 4.0 it is no longer made.
    I agree.  The full suspension, when not locked, saps energy that would otherwise be driving you forward.   I usually keep my front forks locked when I'm riding around town.
    Options
    Lots of great info guys - thanks!

I never really gave a hard tail much thought, thinking that the FS is the way to go. Is there different riding styles or terrain that dictates the need for one over the other? I don't plan on doing hardcore trails, but do have 3 kids (15, 9, 9), and my wife that will be riding with me most times. I am thinking a medium degree of difficulty as it relates to trails. I do have a couple guys that I work with that are really into MTB'ing and I hear they are pretty hard core. I may tag along with them after I get in better shape...

If looking used, what are a couple good brands to stick with in that price range?
    Lake Keowee, SC
    Family of 5 Meat Eaters
  • Elkhunt
    Elkhunt Posts: 4
    Options
    You have some great LBS (local bike shops) up in your area.  Often best to stop and talk to the pros.  I would avoid a Trek place.  Usually the independent places have more knowledge and are willing to share.  If you ever get to Charleston, go see this guy.  http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20071027/ARCHIVES/310279931
  • NC_Egghead
    NC_Egghead Posts: 786
    Options
    BUY A TREK, whatever you do. I'm on my 3rd one. I still have the first Trek MTB I bought over 20 yrs ago. I got back into riding the local trails about 10 years ago, when I was in my 40's. After a while I decided it was time to bite the bullet and upgrade from a completely un-suspended bike and went to full suspension and was glad I did. There's an extremely big difference in how bikes perform and unfortunately, a lot of that has to do with how much you spend. I bought a 09 Trek Fuel EX 8 and rode the crap out of it. So much so that I broke the frame in the summer of '13. This was a mid-grade bike with an aluminum frame and after a little back and fort with my LBS and Trek I wound up with a replacement frame. They upgraded me to their top of the line carbon fiber frame! Frame and rear shock on my 9.9 come in right at 5 lbs. It is unbelievably sweet! Almost all the components transferred over from the old bike which led to a worn out drive train last summer. I put over a grand into a new drive train including shifters and pedals and again, it was like a new bike. My point here is Trek totally went above and beyond to honor their warranty. Only caveat here is, just like the Egg, you need to be the original owner to take advantage of the warranty. 

You need to decide how you're going to be riding it. What are the trails like around your house? Are they rocky and rooty, flat or hilly? The advice on buying a 29er is good. They roll over obstacles better but are a little cumbersome in some of the fast downhill switchbacks. You can also adjust your shocks with a little more air pressure to find that sweet spot where the bike is stiff enough for climbs, but still gives some relief with the suspension over rough terrain. I've got all that lock out stuff but pretty much adjust with air pressure; rebound always stays the same. There is also going to be a big difference riding with your wife and your MTB buddies from work. I could never ride with my wife. I used to ride with a couple guys from work who were at least 5 yrs younger than me. One of them worked out all the time and is a real stud on the bike. Those are the guys you want to be riding with for the most part. They will make you a better rider and help you get in shape faster. Save the rides with the family for Sunday afternoons. 
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Giant makes some great bikes in that price range. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Bikes are like knives. Go into a local shop, tell them your budget, and test out a bunch until you find what feels right. Just like anything else, if it doesn't feel good, you won't use it. 
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Catrike.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Get a Fat Bike. Tons of fun. Check my Avatar. Lol...don't buy a cookie cutter. Ride your own ride. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Go to a LBS.
    Let the bike find you.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Another vote for Trek bikes. You can also find a nice cannondale hardtail for around a grand used.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Hi54putty said:
    Another thing about Giant, their factory(I believe it's in Taiwan) actually build a bunch of different brand's bikes frames in regards to the low and mid-range bikes. They just provide their specs and geometrys to the factory and the frames go out for finishing.

My local shop told me this and they've never given me reason not to believe them.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i hate full suspension bikes. definitely buy a hard tail. if you find a second hand rockhopper they really cruise when you ride flat trails with the front suspension locked out. those big 29 inch wheels are really nice compared to my old road bikes. i look at full suspension as down hill only =) then you need to get into a jeep to get back up the hill. they suck the energy right out of you if your not in prime shape
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hi54putty
    Options
    Hi54putty said:
    Another thing about Giant, their factory(I believe it's in Taiwan) actually build a bunch of different brand's bikes frames in regards to the low and mid-range bikes. They just provide their specs and geometrys to the factory and the frames go out for finishing.

My local shop told me this and they've never given me reason not to believe them.
    Are you saying this as a positive or negative? That is a non factor for me. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Are you sure you don't want a Walmart mountain bike?  =);)

https://youtu.be/wkMnk_eCDQU
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • A5firearms
    A5firearms Posts: 163
    Options
    Huffy Carnage it is!! Lol
    Lake Keowee, SC
    Family of 5 Meat Eaters
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    Options

i hate full suspension bikes. definitely buy a hard tail. if you find a second hand rockhopper they really cruise when you ride flat trails with the front suspension locked out. those big 29 inch wheels are really nice compared to my old road bikes. i look at full suspension as down hill only =) then you need to get into a jeep to get back up the hill. they suck the energy right out of you if your not in prime shape

I 100% agree.  You can pick up a 29" hardtail pretty cheap. Bought a Gary Fisher 2009 model (stickered at $1300) for $500 from a bike shop. Owner had spent another $500 on upgrades.  I rode it hard for the past couple of years  on the street, but I switched to smoother tires.  Kept front suspension locked most of the time.   Sold it the other day for $450.  If you watch the craigslist ads, you can pick up a name brand model cheap, enjoy it, and still get most of your investment back when you sell or trade it in.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

Last summer I bought my first bike since I was a teenager.  They are so much better now.  I got a really basic entry level Giant.  No suspension, seat is hard, grips are hard, but it is a ton of fun to ride. What hasn't changed is that I still hate fiddling with brake and derailleur adjustments. Two thumbs up to the above advice - make friends at the local bike shop, they are worth more than any savings you might get from a big box store. 

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Hi54putty said:
    Hi54putty said:

@Hi54putty Positive! Since they are building other brands, they are seeing popular frames and are able to mimic much higher priced geometrys so you are getting a nice frame. The next variable is components. Oh my!
  • Hi54putty
    Options
    Hi54putty said:
    Hi54putty said:

@Hi54putty Positive! Since they are building other brands, they are seeing popular frames and are able to mimic much higher priced geometrys so you are getting a nice frame. The next variable is components. Oh my!
    Good point 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC