Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What I Learned Shopping for a Weed Burner

Options
This is the follow-up post. Trying to get what I needed for the least amount of money, I did as much research as I could and went to Harbor Freight for their $40 Greenwood self-igniting weed blower. There was one on the shelf, so I took it, ignoring the battered top flap opening. It started fine but flames came out the top of the flame canister as well as the bottom. And I noticed the directions said to tighten the connection with "THE WRENCH." No wrench in the box, so I called customer service and was told "NO WRENCH IS INCLUDED IN THE BOX."  Returned it and they brought out another one.

It never ignited. And TWO WRENCHES were in the box. Again, I didn't pay attention to the obviously not-new opening flap on the box. Returned it, and the wrenches.

I went back to the suggestions and reviews for different brands available and the only alternatives were online purchases. I hate having to repack and take to shipping for online returns. I want to take home something that WORKS. AND...I don't want to pay $70 or $80 to light my lump!

I found a Harbor Freight in another part of the city, and their shelves were loaded with stock. The outermost box had a worn top flap, and when I turned it upside down NO wrenches fell out of it. I took one from deeper in and the top flap was so tight I could barely open it. Two wrenches inside. I had a really good feeling about this. I took it home on Saturday, have been sick since then, so just now I set it up with great optimism. IT'S PERFECT! Even if the igniter quits down the line I feel like I've done my duty and I'll just use the hand push-button flame wand to light it.

If you buy something on the shelf, get a box that HASN'T been opened!

Judy in San Diego

Comments

• Reltserw
    Reltserw Posts: 45
    Options
    Spend an sedition $20 and get yourself a looftlighter. You won't regret it. 
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I have a weedburner with the clicker and I will admit they sometimes need adjusting to light. It's like a spark plug so I "reset" the spacing or sometimes sand around in there. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    My egg is approximately 15-17' from my closest electrical plug so I assume I would need an extension cord with the weed burner or the looftlighter.   Is my assumption right?
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    MotownVol said:
    My egg is approximately 15-17' from my closest electrical plug so I assume I would need an extension cord with the weed burner or the looftlighter.   Is my assumption right?
    Weed burners are either self igniting or you use a lighter or some other device to create a spark to light. They do not need/use your house AC electricity.

A Looftlighter does need to be plugged in to an AC outlet so for those you would need an extension cord.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Glad it worked out for you (eventually), Judy!

I always buy sealed and intact items. One must shop with care at HF, and at the Home Depot near me. I got burned a couple of times when I came home to find that i bought some hardware item with bolts, nuts, etc missing... because someone ripped the packet open and grabbed the part they needed without paying for it. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Happy lighting girlfriend. Cooking in less than 5 minutes. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Darn, based on your timeline and the headache involved, 200 bucks would have been "cheaper" for me. I would have just rolled into Lowes or HD for a MAP torch. They are around 40 bucks as well. I generally find that I get what I pay for and "the cheapest I can find" is usually not the optimum choice.

Either way, glad to hear it worked out. 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    @MotownVol: you need a large propane tank with a weed burner, electric outlet with a Looftlighter.

@Eggcelsior: For Egg FUN my time is "free" but not my expenses.

@Mickey: Why the heck didn't you answer my PM? I re-installed my OS and your email address is out in the ether somewhere.

Judy in San Diego
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    I have the bernzomatic as well, it is great!  I used oil and paper towels for years but this is faster and really easy.  I also use it to kill the weeds on the patio. 
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    @MotownVol: you need a large propane tank with a weed burner, electric outlet with a Looftlighter.

@Eggcelsior: For Egg FUN my time is "free" but not my expenses.

@Mickey: Why the heck didn't you answer my PM? I re-installed my OS and your email address is out in the ether somewhere.

Judy I did answer and sent my email address. I HATE THIS PM SYSTER WITH THE EGG FORUM! 
    Was wondering why you did not answer my reply?
    Put this in your book:
    Mickey & Linda
     mjrawls@me.com
    254-630-8399
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• ThrillSeeker
    Options

After reading this thread, I wound up getting the HF weed burner as well.  I got the $30 one w/ the ignitor.  Lucky me, I had a 20% off coupon in my email.

No issues to date.  That thing puts out some HEAT and gets you up and cooking in NO TIME!

Large BGE - Medium BGE - Too many accessories to name

Antioch, TN