Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

91% alcohol question

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
Today while waiting to have a prescription filled I wandered around and was looking at the bottles of 91% alcohol which I know some people here like to use to start their egg. Do you use it with a paper towel just like the oil trick or squirt some straight onto the lump like we used to when using "charcoal lighter fluid"? Seemed sort of expensive for a fire starter or do you buy it some place other than a drug store so you can get a price break in larger quantity?
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024
    I have used it with cotton balls. Works well. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    RRP said: Seemed sort of expensive for a fire starter or do you buy it some place other than a drug store so you can get a price break in larger quantity?
    You can feed your belly and your egg with this if concerned about expense:  =)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Well they would at least both burn......
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    I've done both. A paper towel actually thru the bottom vent if I want a big fire fast, or douse the lump, wait a few minutes and toss in a kitchen match. Stand back. It's definitely effective. I use it mostly when traveling so I don't have to take a torch. 
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    I used to just squirt some in a few places on the lump and toss in a match.  Lately, I've been using a chimney and filling the chimney about half way with lump, then squirt some alcohol under the chimney and toss in a match.  A bottle lasts a very long time and it lights very fast.  5-10 minutes in the chimney then I dump it and spread it around. 
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • RRP
    WeberWho said:
    RRP said: Seemed sort of expensive for a fire starter or do you buy it some place other than a drug store so you can get a price break in larger quantity?
    I'm dead serious where do you buy that? 
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Ron, that is available only in some states. The peeps in KY can get it, but here in OH you can't. Just ask for it by name at the liquor store
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    And yes-that is some serious juice right there.  Be careful with any application.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRP
    I have used a couple liter bottles of GREENHEAT which was a product of Africa which was supposedly 95% but in a gel form. It is no longer made. While it was easy to squirt on and colored so you could see where it landed it was hard to see when lit during the day as the flame was invisible! Will using this EverClear be the same way plus more explosive when first lit?
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    WeberWho said:
    Have a watermelon or five nearby?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Just went to a special event in downtown Louisville, where by private invitation, we were allowed a private tour of Peerless Distillery a new bourbon making company that will use charred white oak for the storage of their Bourbon. Currently they are selling White Lightening, and will do so for the next three years, until they release their bourbon to the market. They will only fill 4 barrels per day. It will be of very high quality. The release will be limited, and many high rollers will be coming to town to pick up their barrells. The rest will be released to the poublic in small batch. The warehouse number will be 50. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    @YukonRon  Did you find out the grain bill?
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    edited July 2016
    @RedSkip 72% corn 18% rye, 10% barley. Is what I was told, they used the word "about" in front of each ingrediant. Puts it in the pack with other of rhe better bourbons.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Very nice.  Appreciate the info
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    @dmw main ingredient in highschool hunch punch. 

In on a side note, didn't realize @sgh had a song that was actually recorded. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    @dmw main ingredient in highschool hunch punch. 

In on a side note, didn't realize @sgh had a song that was actually recorded. 
    We called it Jungle Juice. Tasted just like fruit punch, but had that telltale tickle in the back of the throat.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    RRP said:
    WeberWho said:
    I'm dead serious where do you buy that? 
    @RRP I have to drive 45 minutes over to Wisconsin to get it. Minnesota won't sell that high of alcohol content within state lines. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Nice. Hooch to light an egg. I can do that. Lol....
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    We can buy Everclear in the liquor store. It's not explosive when lit. It does burn hot though. They also sell this which is the same thing.

At 95% it is just ethyl alcohol and the little bit of water that is too hard to remove from the alcohol. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    edited July 2016
    My family had a bottle of that stuff when I was a teen. We tried to drink it and of course couldn't. My mom used it to make her own Baileys instead of using vodka. That baileys was better than the real stuff.
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    RRP said:
    I have used a couple liter bottles of GREENHEAT which was a product of Africa which was supposedly 95% but in a gel form. It is no longer made. While it was easy to squirt on and colored so you could see where it landed it was hard to see when lit during the day as the flame was invisible! Will using this EverClear be the same way plus more explosive when first lit?

Alcohol flames are very hard to see, clear almost invisible flame to a very light blue color. If you are seeing a flame it is an impurity in the alcohol burning that you are seeing.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • chadpsualum
    chadpsualum Posts: 409
    Toxarch said:
    We can buy Everclear in the liquor store. It's not explosive when lit. It does burn hot though. They also sell this which is the same thing.

At 95% it is just ethyl alcohol and the little bit of water that is too hard to remove from the alcohol. 
    I think 95% ethanol/water is where the azeotrope is (so your limit on distillation).  In order to get higher purity you'd have to use a secondary process (like mole sieves) to 'filter' out the water.
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Everclear is available in my state (VA) but you have to have a permit to buy it. Must be incredibly dangerous stuff. :)

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    edited July 2016

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• RRP
    Does IA still have those ABC stores? 
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    RRP said:
    Not that I'm aware of but I gave up that stuff over a year ago. Only ABC stores I've seen were in NC. Any convenience store or grocery store will sell beer/wine/liquor depending on the license they have. The days of only purchasing from State ran liquor stores left back in the 80's I think.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    RRP said:
    Not that I'm aware of but I gave up that stuff over a year ago. Only ABC stores I've seen were in NC. Any convenience store or grocery store will sell beer/wine/liquor depending on the license they have. The days of only purchasing from State ran liquor stores left back in the 80's I think.
    Virginia still has ABC stores for the "hard stuff". Other stores can only sell beer and wine.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA