Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CAT....This Butt's For You!

Options
Grumpa
Grumpa Posts: 861
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
butt012599.jpg
<p />Complying with Cat's request to share last night's cook with her and knowing she only had a sausage for dinner, I made some pictures just for her to enjoy. Cat, it was worth every freezing minute![p]Put this rascal on at 7pm last night with a dome temp of 240* and checked on it a few times before going to bed around midnight. When I awoke this morning the outside weather conditions were 19* with winds at 15-20 mph and a wind chill of -10. I made a hot pot of coffee and grabbed a cup as I reluctantly went out to check on Humpty. All night long and with extreme adverse temps, Humpty was puffing away at 230*. Only a 10* drop after 12 hours of cooking. I plugged the Polder in and found the internal temp to be 156*. This BGE cooker is astounding![p]As the morning moved forward and the Polder slowly climbed it was apparent that the butt was going to finish right on time. I was right, 12:00 Noon the internal temp went to 200*. The pictures above will tell you the rest of the story. [p]Total cooking time ended up at 17 hours and the butt weighed in at 5.3lbs prior to cooking. [p]Cat, get out there and light that egg! If I can do it so can you and there is no further need in holding out. The rest of the guys here were right, it was fun. The real fun comes in knowing you can cook year round with the egg when most other cookers get only 6 months use at best.

Comments

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    Bob,[p]That looks GREAT!! Okay, you convinced me.[p]Thanks for the pics -[p]Cathy
  • Dr. Chicken
    Options
    Bob,
    You more than did justice to that butt, for the first deep winter Eggcursion. My compliments![p]Dr. C

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    chowtime.gif
    <p />Bob,[p]You're making me cry. I haven't had a chance to do a butt in a loooooooong time and this one looks fabulous. I'll be right over with the buns and slaw.[p]K~G

• Grumpa
    Options
    KennyG,[p]Come on down. I need some good experienced snow shovelers this Friday from the looks of the weather coming at us. I love the graphic, I'll bet you got one for every occassion :~)

• Grumpa
    Options
    Dr. Chicken,[p]You wern't supposed to see that one as it was for cat :~)[p]Thanks for the compliments, they all turn out that way for me. Of course my wife does the pictures and has a way of making me look better than I really am :~)

• Grumpa
    Options
    Cat,[p]Only the best for our NY based Southern Belle :~)

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    Bob, that's a cute butt(s) you've got there. Are those twins? Right & left shoulder off the same hog?? I know, I know,, different camera settings,, I'm just being silly. I think this cut of meat is the "BGE Forum Favorite" from coast to coast, north and south.

• Grumpa
    Options
    King-O-Coals,[p]To be very honest, I like the shoulder best of all. It is my personal favorite as far as taste and texture goes. [p]It is a real treat when you can have this kind of food for lunch in the middle of January. We are a lucky group of people, like you said...coast to coast...North and South. [p]Better bundle up down on that island, looks like cold(er) weather is heading our way.[p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Bob,
    Yeeeeee Ha! Schweeet.
    Quite some specimens you've got there buddy.
    Nothing like those sandwiches on a cold day.[p]Nice job on the temp control. I had my first incident a couple weeks ago where the fire went out, and then had a bit of trouble maintaining last week. I think a lot of it was a couple bad bags of lump I had. Are you doing all of your cooking without a cap still??[p]Enjoy those samiches.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • King-O-Coals
    Options
    Bob, yeah, that little bragging remark I made the other day about being prepaired and not afraid of the ice may just bite me.. Oh well,, got food!

• Grumpa
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I still do it mostly without the cap but I did use the combo daisy last night due to the high winds. I was afraid of too much drafting without it after I went to bed. I'd rather be safe than sorry.[p]We are enjoying some good Q at lunch for the remainder of the week.[p]Yeah Baby!