Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hard to get down to 250º

Options
Mop
Mop Posts: 496
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
got the butt all rubbed up and in the egg......having a hard time keeping the egg under 300º[p]Roger!

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Mop:[p]The secret is to let the temperature rise slowly to the desired temperature. Once you overshoot, it will take a while to let the temperature settle back down.[p]I assume you are getting a tight fit when the dome is closed and air leakage is not the culprit?

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Mop,
    You can still get it stabilized. Close bottom vent to 1/16, and daisy to a crack. It'll come down slowly, and the higher temps won't hurt your butt. Once you get past 260, you'll probably need to tap the vents back open a tad t keep things goin.
    Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    Yes, I didn`t let the cooker get past 325º after lighting it..
    I have it down to 250º right now actually....
    I hope it doesn`t go out overnight!
    It`s 10:00 pm here now and I`ll be up till 12:00 or so, that gives me time to get it steady...no wind tonight..just cold![p]Roger

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Mop,
    By your reponse to djm5x9 you are letting the EGG get to hot before starting to close the vents. Once the temp gets to about 150* start closing the vents to stabilize at 250*.

• Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Options
    JJ,
    Just wanted to "holler" at you a minute.I used your parmesan cornish hen recipe tonight on a butterflyed roasting chicken.I didn't have time to brine it,but it turned out GREAT anyhow.Thanks for idea.Keep warm--- Bob