Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Odds of this working on wasp nest

Options

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    Only had an in-ground yellow jacket nest once, years ago. I just poured a cup or so of gasoline in the hole and walked away. Didn't light it. Didn't even wait until dark either. Killed a little bit of grass, but not much. Never saw the bees again.
    i stepped into a ground nest once up to my knee, that did not go well =) im just glad yellow jacket bites dont hurt so bad as other bees =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    An old timer once told me to mix some meat tenderizer with a little water into a paste and apply to the yellow jacket sting and it draws the sting out.. Damnn those yellow jackets can light you up !!!! I am in the gasoline camp..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Gas will go on at 2100 pacific coast time. 

Seattle, WA
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Gas works well.  It's more fun if you light it but do so from a distance.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • keepervodeflame
    keepervodeflame Posts: 353
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I like that wasp spray that shoots a stream from distance, kills em dead, and keeps you further away from danger. . I was cleaning out and trimming a rabbits foot fern in our backyard once and was attacked by the hornets from a concealed nest inside the plant. Hundreds of stings. Wife actually and  most probably saved my life by knocking me to the ground and spraying me with the hose knocking down the majority of the buggers. I was a welted mess for days, but lived to tell the tale. 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    We'll need video evidence. 
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited July 2016
    Options
    A pint of gasoline poured down the hole after dark is generally all that is needed to handle a large in ground nest.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I'm just gonna leave this right here...and you give me a holler when you wanna get serious about your little problem. 

I get 25 feet of stand off distance. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    As a former exterminator, this is exactly how we made our money. Let the amateur get about 50 stings and you would be amazed at what they will pay :)

The gas thing is ok, not 100%. Sevin is about the best you can buy over the counter. We always used dichlorvos (Vapona). Super deadly on the whole Hymenoptera family. The key with any insecticide dust is a light tough. Little puffs that float are what you want, not a big slug of dust that just sits at the entrance. We actually used to practice with baby powder. 

Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Thinking this would require a paramutual window, for win place and show. 1st and 2nd degree burn opportunities exponentially increase with bourbon consumption. I dobwishbthere was some sort of form, much akin to the racing form, that measure everyone's previous results, of what could be most shameful in the completion, in tasks that required flammables or explosives, specifically WITH A BAC of not less than 0.10. Now that would make this entire forum more popular than a justin beiber fail on Utube.
    Just sayin'
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Were you trying to make the bees hungry?
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Standing by....
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Only deal with a bees nest after dark when they settle in, then use a chemical or fire to terminate them.  Smoking them only puts them in a docile state, it will not kill them and will not drive them out.   

When I was much younger, I helped (term used very loosely) my dad with 3-4 hives and learned a lot about bees!  
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Too bad these will be wasps (vespula germanica most likely- little bitchy yellow arseholes). Bees (apis mellifera) react much better to smoke. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Standing by....
    Can't wait. This is going to be good.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    I drive a 4WD truck through the winter, then park it the other 3 seasons and ride my convertible/motorcycles.  The last 3, 4 years now, paper wasps have decided to build a nest in the driver's side rear-view mirror of my Taco.  
    I obviously can't use gas (even unlit) and don't even want to squirt bugspray behind the mirror, with its gears/electric motors.  In the past I've jumped into the truck, and drove away while adjusting the mirror (from inside) to max left/right, up/down; that would crush the nest and a lot of the bugs, who would fly, crawl, or drop, out.  
    There'd still be a few hanging around when I returned home, and the pheromones from the crushed ones would make the remaining population pissed as hell.  I would spray some Raid onto a strip of cardboard, let it dry so it wouldn't drip, then slide it behind the mirror; that usually took care of the stragglers.
    This year I remembered to band a plastic trash bag around the mirror.  When/if I forget it next year, I'll try the Seven dust to keep them away.  
    Interesting thread!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• SkinnyV
    Options
    I went out really want to pour but there is activity still going on.
    this is a little trap wife set up but to not going to do the job. 

Seattle, WA
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    Killing bees is not a big deal. In a former job we had spray cans that would kill them instantly. Even an can of spray paint works wonders in a pinch. Hit them with spray paint and they can't fly after a few seconds and they are grounded as the paint starts to harden and thicken. They drop to the ground very quickly and pose no threat.
  • Movingday
    Movingday Posts: 35
    Options
    Update?

XL BGE,Murfreesboro, Tennessee

• SkinnyV
    Options
    Finally poured easily over a pint. It went right into the hole like a funnel. 
    Will post the results tomorrow, I'm excited that they are hopefully gone.
    Seattle, WA
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    Anybody either TRY or have any LUCK with those Sulpher Bombs they sell to discourage Gophers and other ground rats?   A couple of those bad boys in quick succession should put a damper on the party, no?
  • Braggart
    Braggart Posts: 238
    Options

Large BGE
    MMax BGE
    Weber gasser
    3 Dogs
    No neighbours 
    Living in Canada's bush
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    We have red wasps around here and those things can be down right evil. They will sit on their nest and watch you. You can see them turn their heads as you move by the nest. Most of the time they don't sting and leave you alone. But if you startle them, they swarm you and sting like crazy. One wasp will sting you 3 or 4 times and it's a horrible pain. I'd rather be stung by a scorpion than a red wasp.

One hunting season early in the morning I climbed in a box blind that was rarely used. We usually clear out the wasps before season but they still use the blinds as shelter on cold nights and this was a cold morning. I'm sitting there in the dark before the sun comes up and it's below freezing. There's a small gas heater in there so after I decided it was too cold I light the heater. It's a tiny blind so it plus my body heat starts warming the box up quickly. I feel something drop in my lap but can't see it. Then something drops on my shoulder, and my hat, and on the floor... it is raining something inside the blind. I dig in my backpack for a flashlight and shine it up. The ceiling is covered in wasps and they are waking up from the heat and dropping on me. I bailed out of that box blind so fast, luckily it wasn't high off the ground or I might have gotten hurt. Reached back in to cut the heat and left the door open to get it cold again. Hunted on the ground that morning. 

Another place had a box blind 10 feet off the ground that wasn't hunted in years. We went to clean it out one day. Opened the door and immediately shut it. Under the seat of the chair was a giant red wasp nest that hung out all 4 sides. Biggest red wasp nest any of us had seen. Usually a nest the size of your fist is pretty big for red wasp. Double fists for a really large nest. This thing was about 2' across. Came back the next day with a bug bomb and stuck it in there and shut the door. Wasp were climbing all over the windows trying to get out. There were a couple of inches of dead wasps in the floor when it was done. There's a picture of the nest somewhere.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• SkinnyV
    Options
    Al activity has ceased..... This was too easy and I should have done it in the first place.
    thanks for the tips... I was close to calling someone for a bit as I tried a few things and it was not safe for my kids to go back and play.
    Seattle, WA
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Great to hear !!!! Another plus is that your post was not gored by the buffalo.. I once posted an OT rat problem post and it only lasted a couple of hours.. =)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    you could have smoked some cream cheese and served it with wasp crackers, what were you thinking with the gasoline =)

Jibachi senbei - digger wasp rice crackers

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    We had an underground yellow jacket nest next to our mailbox last week. At dusk we dumped pesticide in the hole, haven't seen them since.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    To the victor belongs the spoils.  Way the take 'em out without incident.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.