Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Odds of this working on wasp nest

Options
SkinnyV
SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
I have an issue with an underground nest, I tried a gas rag trick and stuffed the hole but all it did was stir the nest up all day
my bro said smoke them out, put this together wish me luck.

Seattle, WA

Comments

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    At least throw on a butt, kill two birds with one stone 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    Warrior need update, badly...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    That is definitely a 24 beer or 1/2 gallon bottle set up. Sitting back watching the "horneys" getting their come-up-ance.......
    Assume there is a ban on hornet spray in your neighbourhood - cleared a ground n'est a couple of years ago with a single can.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SkinnyV
    Options
    Shut it down, I did not see a reaction but it is dark.
    when I did the gas rag trick I felt like there was another point of entry because they sure swarmed the rag.

so I will see tomorrow what it looks like and may try it in the daylight. I will also look into the spray.
    Seattle, WA
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 686
    Options
    Ha. I just took care of an above ground wasp nest 15 minutes ago. I double fisted the spray and got them at midnight. I could hear them swarming inside the nest still, but they'd have to eat through their dead brothers or the nest to get out. I soaked them both with spray.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Unfortunately, smoke likes to go up.  Hole in the ground is down.  Maybe if you force a draft with a weed eater.  Also, smoke doesn't kill them - note beekeepers use smoke to calm bees down.

I'd shove a hose in there (block the entrance so they can't get out) and drown them.
    Options
    This may be ecologically unhealthy and probably a bit reckless, but I was taught in my redneck Alabama youth to pour about a pint of gas in the hole and drop a match on it. Kills pretty much everything and you have a nice Olympic torch effect for quite a while.
    Decatur, AL
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I've got a beekeeper suit, and I've got a 500,000 btu weedburner.  I'd enjoy being part of a Johnny Knocksville style solution.
    Phoenix 
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Teedoff said:
    This may be ecologically unhealthy and probably a bit reckless, but I was taught in my redneck Alabama youth to pour about a pint of gas in the hole and drop a match on it. Kills pretty much everything and you have a nice Olympic torch effect for quite a while.
    This- works every time for me with yellow jackets. I wait till dusk so they are mostly back in the nest and then pour gas down the hole. Don't even have to light it- 
    Greensboro, NC
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    How was wasp spray not the first option? I keep 6 or more cans of that in the garage. 

The weed burner would work. I'm picturing one of those YouTube videos where they gas gopher holes and then ignite it.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    A shop vac also works. Run for an hour and pound on the ground. After, tape off the hose end and sit in the sun for 2 days.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    I've took care of several with the gas in hole trick. I always light the suckers up. 

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• stonedog03
    stonedog03 Posts: 52
    Options
    I watched a pro do it with a shop vac.  He had a modified Tupperware container that he put in the middle of the hose.  The container was to catch / trap the wasps.  He just sat there with the vac and sucked them all up.  Afterwards he dug up the nest.  He took the container full of pissed off wasps and put it on top of the ice in his cooler.  I asked why and he told me that he sells them to a place that will pull the venom sacks to make different medical treatments / medicines.  Never would have guessed any of that.
    XL BGE  -  Jackson, California
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    sounds like the application of a substantial amount of environmentally unfriendly chemicals is in order, these things need to be dead but good
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    ive got a few hundred bite bee days =) the last one i was that guy driven out into the lake by a swarm splashing slapping, diving, etc. they dont drown quickly, 10 minutes later i was still finding bees stuck to me and still getting bit under water =) the can works pretty good but do it at night
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Movingday
    Movingday Posts: 35
    Options
    100% wait until dusk either way so they are back in nest, then I'm a fan of gas and fire also
    XL BGE,Murfreesboro, Tennessee

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Pour something flammable (about a pint) down the hole, wait about a minute and light with a match.  Problem solved!!~~
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Be sure to set up a recording device in case it goes badly. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Turn on tapes of Hillary's campaign yelling and screaming. They'll scatter.  =)
    New Albany, Ohio 

• SmileMaker
    SmileMaker Posts: 10
    Options
    Just put sevin dust at the hole opening after dark. They carry it into the nest coming and going and in no time problem solved.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    It seems like a shop vac might be a cheap solution.  This was a nest in the house.  Water and dish soap in the shop vac and it looks like they all drowned.  
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpgovFhV_ho

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SkinnyV
    Options
    It was a fail, not surprised. I may try gas trick again pouring the gas not putting it on a rag. Only problem is there may be a hole on the other side of the fence under tons of brush etc.

will post an update.
    Seattle, WA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    After all of this great advice, I think you owe the forum some video.
  • Codfish
    Codfish Posts: 42
    Options
    Connect a hose to your lawnmower exhaust, and let it run for a while, gas the buggers, worked for me.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I've had very good results waiting until dark when they are all in the nest sleeping, and using a spray can VERY liberally into and around the hole. 
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • wbradking
    wbradking Posts: 351
    edited July 2016
    Options
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I have done the cup of gas and fire solution for those in the ground, and only once had to do it 2x for one nest.  

For the nest that is not in a location the be "fire friendly" I have used the Sevin dust.  I took a pice of thin cardboard and folded it in half. Put a tablespoon or two of dust in it and put the powder in the nest at about 10pm.  In the morning, just a few bees. In the evening, none.

For those in a tree, more time and care was taken.  Trim the surrounding branches one at a time creating a clear and unobstructed working area.  Took a large trash bag, covered the nest with it, and cut the branch.   From there it went into a trash can which had some hot burning coals in it from burning some other deadwoo earlier, and put the lid on it once the bag went in.  

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Only had an in-ground yellow jacket nest once, years ago. I just poured a cup or so of gasoline in the hole and walked away. Didn't light it. Didn't even wait until dark either. Killed a little bit of grass, but not much. Never saw the bees again.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut