Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is my charcoal foo weak???

Options
Was asked today how I stacked my charcoal in the firebox. I was confused. I'm a pour it in there kind on guy. 
What new thing do I need to learn about this?
Bill   Denver, CO
XL, 2L's, and MM

Comments

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    edited July 2016
    Options
    If I'm using all new, I dump. If I'm mixing old and new, I keep the new on one side and old lump on the other side. I've choked my airflow with all used lump on top of new lump. 

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538
    Options
    I agree. Still learning... But if there is lump and ash left over from my last burn, I have to at least mix it around to get most of the small stuff to fall through the grate. The few times I didn't, I couldn't get the egg up to temp very well, presumably from poor air flow. 
    Large BGE -- New Jersey

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    Yes. After mixing to get ash to fall, pull all the used lump to one side and fill with new on the other side. That will give you the airflow.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    Options
    After Kamado cooking for a few years I have learned it is all about airflow. Do what works for you!  

1) buy a HiQue or KAB and dump&light is all you need. 

Or 

2) use the stock charcoal grate and stack your lump to maximize airflow. Cover a few holes as possible. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    That is a long standing old joke that has gone down many avenues over the years. Some eggers sort their new lump into 3 or 4 sizes, and some of us just open the bag and dump it in our egg. Before I switched to using a KAB I merely stirred my cold egg to knock the ash off and topped it with new. Now I shake my KAB to knock off the ash and do not stir. Then I top with new lump. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    Cool. I learned that the hard way, couldn't get my egg up to temp to do pizzas and it took forever that night. Thought it was me having just stirred out the ashes and dumping new lump on top but wasn't sure. Thanks for the confirmation. I was afraid I was going to have to start sorting by size and putting a charcoal Jenga puzzle together in my egg...... :o
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Just use a KAB. Shake it. Add new lump. Problem is solved. 
  • AVEngineer
    AVEngineer Posts: 120
    Options
    Charcoal Jenga, that sounds like a fun new game. What lump would work best for that.....
    Medium BGE , iGrill2
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Get an aftermarket fire grate, then just dump it in.  When you get to the bottom of the bag, just pour that around the edge to top it off.  If the firebox is empty, start with a new bag, them top it off with the rest of the other bag.  Been egging for 22 yrs like this, a good portion when I actually had to buy it at the store.
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Charcoal Jenga, that sounds like a fun new game. What lump would work best for that.....
    It wouldn't be Cowboy...just sayin. 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I like to carefully and strategically place every piece of charcoal in the firebox like I'm playing Jenga or Tetris.  I'm fairly certain it has been a game changer for me for rep status.  

Just kidding.  Stir/shake, dump, ash tool, light, and cook.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Get an aftermarket fire grate, then just dump it in.  When you get to the bottom of the bag, just pour that around the edge to top it off.  If the firebox is empty, start with a new bag, them top it off with the rest of the other bag.  Been egging for 22 yrs like this, a good portion when I actually had to buy it at the store.
    This +1!! No need to sort your lump or segregate old from new.   Get a HighQ grate then just stir the ash and dump new in on top. If you dump the bottom of a bag that has lots O dust just stir it again.  All will be good in the land of Eggdom. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    I did a slow and slow over the weekend. I put the big pieces on bottom and smaller on top. Using my XL and cooked for 20  hours and have some leftover.
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    I have a KAB and shake ash into a bucket, then dump the used lump on the lid, add new lump into the BGE and then pour the used on top. I'd rather have the smaller pieces on top and they tend to light easier.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    All the smalls and dust will go into the ash tray of the egg if you stir them, especially with a HighQ grate. Then they ignite and give you heat. Why throw those away?   I believe it was @theyolksonyou that said BTUs is BTUs no matter where they come from.  

analyze adapt overcome

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    All the smalls and dust will go into the ash tray of the egg if you stir them, especially with a HighQ grate. Then they ignite and give you heat. Why throw those away?   I believe it was @theyolksonyou that said BTUs is BTUs no matter where they come from.  
    He was drunk.  Didn't count.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Just stir then add new if needed. There may be some merit to placing the big pieces at the bottom if doing a long low and slow 12+hrs. I've never needed to get that technical on my xl though.
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Do you have a KAB?

analyze adapt overcome

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    Do you have a KAB?
    I do for my large.  I love it.  

My above post I was being playful.  I don't strategically place crap.  I'm a fly by the seat of my pants guy.  

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Please disregard all nearly 12k of my posts. They don't count...

edit: except the ones during the day at work. Those count. 
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Just proved my point by one of the best cooks here!!  

Dont overthink it.  Stir,dump n light.  

analyze adapt overcome

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    For the record I do stir, dump, light (stir is sometimes optional). It's hard to stack that crap up when you're drunk. I can't cook though, so there that. 
  • tarheelmatt
    Options

Dang, I just realized your post count.  Wow!  You started before me too.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • theyolksonyou
    Options

It's all drunk ramblings. 
  • tarheelmatt
    Options

It's all drunk ramblings. 
    Maybe I should start drinking or something.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    It couldn't hurt!! Lol. 

analyze adapt overcome

• Mattman3969
    Options

I feel so inadequate right now at 6300 post.  

analyze adapt overcome

• theyolksonyou
    Options

It's really not something I'm proud of...

i really need a life. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    Shout out to @Jeepster47 - this was his recommendation - since this thread mentions the Kick Ash Basket so often that anyone wanting to keep their deck area clean then a 10 gallon trash can is both small enough and yet large enough to hold months worth of cold dry ash when you shake your KAB. 

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mattman3969
    Options

It's really not something I'm proud of...

i really need a life. 
    Your only 7612 behind Nola.  Better start a political thread to catch up.  Lol.  

analyze adapt overcome