Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sausage making

Hi everyone...trying to cut out sugar as much as possible and thought I might try my hand at sausage making. I may take it to the next level and do links, but right now I just looking for tips or recipes for patties. I have a Cuisinart food processor with the separate grinder, but I've never used that accessory before.

Thanks in advance! Y'all are the best!!!!

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    I have the KitchenAid mixer grinder attachment. A few weeks ago did ~8lbs of Italian sausages (in links).  Just find a recipe that looks good and depending on your  heat tolerance, start with less cayenne or pepper flakes and test it out.  Grinding it is pretty simple.  Just cut into 1-1.5" cubes and stuff it in the grinder and use the "stuffer" to push it in until it all comes out.  Then mix in the seasoning, fry up a 1" flat patty for QC and adjust seasoning as necessary.

I bought casing from Whole Foods ($2.99 lb) and we got 2 lbs.  WAYYYY TOO MUCH.  However, it will keep in a container covered in salt in the fridge. One "casing" will go a very long way.  We only used about 1/2 of one.  
  • Dawgtired
    Dawgtired Posts: 632
    onedbguru said:
    I have the KitchenAid mixer grinder attachment. A few weeks ago did ~8lbs of Italian sausages (in links).  Just find a recipe that looks good and depending on your  heat tolerance, start with less cayenne or pepper flakes and test it out.  Grinding it is pretty simple.  Just cut into 1-1.5" cubes and stuff it in the grinder and use the "stuffer" to push it in until it all comes out.  Then mix in the seasoning, fry up a 1" flat patty for QC and adjust seasoning as necessary.

I bought casing from Whole Foods ($2.99 lb) and we got 2 lbs.  WAYYYY TOO MUCH.  However, it will keep in a container covered in salt in the fridge. One "casing" will go a very long way.  We only used about 1/2 of one.  
    Did you use pork shoulder or some combo?

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    I just had an 8lb shoulder/butt in the freezer. Once I cut it into cubes, it went back into the freezer for about 30 minutes.  This helps with the grinding process. 
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    I need to pull the trigger on that grinder i have been eyeing. Deer season is 2.5 months away! 

Also need to talk the wife into a new bow......

And a grinder......

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Three things on sausage
    Best of luck

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Once you try homemade sausage, you won't want to buy store-bought anymore.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Raymont said:
    This is a 100% factual and accurate statement.

Take meticulous notes because once you find something that works, you will want it again.  
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980

The best part about homemade sausage is that you can make anything you want. In the big stores and even the little mom and pop shops its usually the same stuff, Italian, brats, etc. Making at home, the sky is the limit.

I make 9 different flavors of meatsticks, that you cant buy in the stores.

Even if you want the same sausages that are readily available, now you can make them to YOUR liking, sweeter, spicier, tamer, wilder.

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Agree on charcuterie but even that is just a starting point. 
    I hated the kitchen aid stuffer. If your serious buy a real stuffer. I have a few non-starters before I got my actual crank driven stiffer and life got better. 
    Agree on cold too. 
    Dont drink too many beer when making sausage, just drinking enough is key. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Kitchen Aid grinder is fine for small batches.  The stuffer is worthless.  I bought the LEN 5# piston stuffer.  Makes it easy as pie.  Also, the meat mixer is a good buy (ss hand crank will mix 15 pounds - about $90)
    Kitchen Aid grinder is fine for small batches.  The stuffer is worthless.  I bought the LEN 5# piston stuffer.  Makes it easy as pie.  Also, the meat mixer is a good buy (ss hand crank will mix 15 pounds - about $90)
    What Nola said...bought a grinder at harbor freight, withing a few months bought the LEM  stuffer, and ordering a real grinder thus week ( though for fifty bucks the harbor freight grinder did fine)
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Sea2Ski said:
    Raymont said:

Take meticulous notes because once you find something that works, you will want it again.  
    This. Last time I made sausage I decided to just wing it on 5lbs. I measured the salt, but the rest I just added the spices and herbs until it smelled and tasted good, then mixed it with the meat. Some of the best sausage I've ever had, and I'll never be able to recreate it again.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    20stone said:
    Three things on sausage
    Best of luck

@20stone I have the grinder that you've been eyeing. I can't recommend it. I almost fell out when the wife told me what she paid for it. 
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    I like the kitchenaid sausage grinder. I only do small batches, but if the meat is really cold (just about frozen), it works great. The stuffer is ok.. both just take some practice. I also have the pasta attachments and I am really enjoying them (the pasta tastes much better than store bought). Tonight is actually homemade pasta (spaghetti) and homemade sausage!! I relate the kitchenaid to the egg--maybe not the best at everything it does, but hard to beat for all the things it does. 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    I saw the LEM #8 big bite stainess grinder at rural king for 196 bucks. Its the .35 horsepower model. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    20stone said:
    Three things on sausage
    Best of luck

@20stone I have the grinder that you've been eyeing. I can't recommend it. I almost fell out when the wife told me what she paid for it. 
    Great feedback a day too late.

It sounds like I need to send it back, as this tread motivated me to pull the trigger.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Sea2Ski said:
    Raymont said:

Having grown up in wisconsin, i was raised on johnsonville brats.   Agter learning how to make my own sausage in az and then subsequently attempting to eat a jville brat, i found it to be inedible

Pork shoulder, spices, sometimes cheese, most times beer or a little wine amd casings.  That is all that composes the sausage i make.   Never again can i enjoy store bought, filler and chemical laden sausage
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    PSA - Lem #12 (3/4 hp) grinder just had a price drop to $403
    Phoenix