Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PSA: Burp your Egg

Options
After a handful of indirect cooks I'm cooking a couple chicken breasts raised direct 375 to use  Chicken Salad. Got her up to 400 plus when I opened the Egg to put on the chicken and singed my arm pretty good.

I almost felt like I watched it happen in slow motion. 

At any rate, none the worse for wear but it served as a good reminder. Thought i'd pass it along. 
New Albany, Ohio 

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Sorry to hear that, thanks for the reminder. Speedy healing!
    canuckland
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    Fresh load of lump? Shouldn't happen on old lump unless you snuffed it down from high temps
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• BBQBuddy
    BBQBuddy Posts: 275
    Options
    I always think of this when I see that a newbie is posting and being welcomed to the "cult". It's really the first thing one should learn.  Good reminder.   
    2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Wow.  Didn't think it was that dangerous at those temps.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Sugar Maple for what it's worth
    New Albany, Ohio 

• MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    had that happen once and I never used the daisy wheel again on any cooks over 300 degrees
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • annjamaican
    annjamaican Posts: 152
    Options
    MaC122 said:
    had that happen once and I never used the daisy wheel again on any cooks over 300 degrees
    What do you use instead?
    - Jamaican living in rural Western Washington
    - Got my first egg (XL) in October 2015
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    MaC122 said:
    What do you use instead?
    I'm betting nothing. WFO top... 
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    MaC122 said:
    What do you use instead?
    Not to hijack this thread...... If you keep track of the temp on the up stroke , you can control it with just the bottom vent. There is a curve to doing this on the XL ,since there is a lot of lump in there. It is really useful for smokey cooks like Direct chicken, where you don't want the meat to bath in smoke from burned grease.
    More meat please !! :-)
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I have to relearn this lesson occasionally.
    I also have a Portable Kitchen (PK) grill that gives a really bad flashback also.
  • Staygold
    Staygold Posts: 45
    Options
    Yep, learned that the hard way myself.
    LBGE #76 Georgia Mountain Eggfest 2016
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Wait until you singe your leg hairs on the bottom vent. Not me, but I know somebody who did. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Dawgs8033
    Dawgs8033 Posts: 113
    Options
    I think the first 2-3 months I owned my first egg I never had any hair on my hands or lower arms lol.
    LGBE, SBGE,Blackstone,Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited July 2016
    Options
    If I understand your post correctly, this is the first time you've trimmed arm or bangs or facial hair. If so, welcome to the world of egging, you are now officially an Egghead!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!