Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork tenderloin

Options
Powak
Powak Posts: 1,391
Grilled up a pork tenderloin tonight, raised direct 140° in the thickest part which jumped up into the 150s. Somewhat pink center's fine right?

Comments

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    The official USDA safety guidelines are: 145 °F (62.8 °C) and allow to rest for at least 3 minutes.  Pink is fine.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Wanasmoke
    Wanasmoke Posts: 388
    Options
    Preferred actually!  Looks great- one of my favorite things to egg
    LBGE in Elm Grove, WI
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Perfect. 

Little Rock, AR

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Perfectly fine. Looks great, nice job!
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Serious drooler!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    The official USDA safety guidelines are: 145 °F (62.8 °C) and allow to rest for at least 3 minutes.  Pink is fine.
    And that's because they build in five degrees error. 

140 is the 'safe' number if you properly monitor temps and have a calibrated thermometer 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Powak said:
    Somewhat pink center's fine right?
    It sure is. I'm living proof my friend. I pull tenderloins at 135 internal and large loins at 132-135. The only exception to this for me is when I stuff them.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    SGH said:
    Powak said:
    Somewhat pink center's fine right?
    It sure is. I'm living proof my friend. I pull tenderloins at 135 internal and large loins at 132-135. The only exception to this for me is when I stuff them.  
    This issue is so annoying and ridiculous!  Pink meat not only tastes good, it's also safe.  @SGH being living proof, tougher time being sure there brother  ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    It is my opinion, that pork tenderloin is one of the most under appreciated cuts of meat. It is a family favorite, slow roasted, and smoked.
    Your cook was absolutely incredible, the temps were fine. The advise from the chefs in here, is spot on. I have learned so much from them.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Options
    Last loin I cooked had to go in the microwave because it was pink. My pink part was tasty, juicy and tender. For complainers about pink, I think I have a worn out pair of boots to cook.
    Cooking on the coast
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    That tenderloin is spot on. Perfect temperature there my friend!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"