Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mrs Mosca's end of chemotherapy feast

Options
Mosca
Mosca Posts: 456
edited July 2016 in EggHead Forum
You might recall this started back in December, with Mrs Mosca's blood clots turning into a diagnosis of carcinosarcoma right before Christmas.

Her treatments didn't go very well. She was allergic to one of the chemotherapy drugs that drove her heart rate down into the mid 30s, and she had to change from one day sessions here in town to three day sessions an hour away. She had a double kidney stone attack and had to have emergency stents put in, which caused her to end a chemo session a day early. She then had a bowel obstruction and had to have emergency surgery, in the middle of chemo, delaying her 5th treatment by 3 weeks. This was all in addition to the sickness and loss of taste and loss of energy that she was getting from the chemotherapy. It has been a rough 7 months for the light of my life.

Friday we got this message from her oncological surgeon:

To:

Mrs Mosca

Ashlee L Smith, DO

Received:

7/15/2016  2:40 PM EDT

Great news! 

Your CT scan results are great! There is no evidence of disease... [other stuff related to continuing treatment redacted]

Dr. Smith

So, remember that rib roast from BGE Forums and Shane at Snake River Farms? Well, today is the day we lit that son of a gun up.

Nice looking rib roast.

Rubbed up: Salt, pepper, garlic, thyme, rosemary, some chipotle powder.

On the BGE at noon @225*. It hit 125* at about 3:30, we were eating at 5 so I took it off and FTC'd it. this shot was when it was about 100*.

After FTC, I took it out, shot the BGE to about 600*, and seared it all over; for this step I removed the bones, which were tied on from SRF. Before you say something about the temp, we had 6 guests who wanted medium, I was the only one who wanted medium rare. I did the roast to medium, this is about 145*. Look at that nice cap muscle! This was a truly awesome piece of beef, better than some dry aged primes I've made!

Sides were potato salad:

Caprese tomatoes:

And Caprese roasted red peppers, because our daughter doesn't eat tomatoes and anyhow this tastes awesome!

Also on the menu, but without photos: sweet corn and sugar snap peas. 

A splendid time was had by all, we laughed, we drank, we stuffed ourselves silly. We toasted SRF and the Egghead forum for providing us with the centerpiece of this feast, and we took the obligatory "Beggar's Banquet" shot! Lots of clean plates!

From the bottoms of our hearts, the Mosca family thanks everyone who helped out, everyone who provided, and everyone who gave prayers and well wishes. There is still a long road ahead, but step one is "The dance with NED" (no evidence of disease); only half the women with the diagnosis make it that far. But if you do, the 5 year survival rate is increased exponentially, and here we are!

Comments