Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mexican manicotti, roasted red pepper hummus with flatbread & maple walnut granola

Options
Zippylip
Zippylip Posts: 4,768

This is a three fuel/three cooker kettle, egg & blackstone tag team deal, my favorite way to cook.  Love beans & grains in any form so made two.  Figured too that since the egg was in bake mode I’d toss in a batch of granola after the manicotti was done & make use of that residual heat, stuff can pretty much be baked after shut down, one of the great attributes of ceramic.  The flatbread was made the next day so the Blackstone got the nod.

Started off by rolling out some whole wheat pasta sheets (50/50 whole wheat/semolina)

Then stuffed them with refried beans

Made some homemade enchilada sauce & laid the manicotti in, topped with more sauce

Then onto the egg at 350 indirect;

Meanwhile grilled some local sweet corn, onions, bell peppers & my garden serranos & pablanos on the kettle;

Chopped into a chunky, pile, & served:

The hummus, roasted red peppers, cecis, garlic, lemon, lime, water, salt & pepper

The flatbread, just plain pizza dough brushed with olive oil, salt & pepper, herbs afterwards

Dessert, the nuts & twigs.

the batch actually made two full mason jars:

Think I’m gonna make some more ‘ice cream’ & crumble some of this on there.

Great weekend
happy in the hut
West Chester Pennsylvania

Comments

• MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    Wow!! Nice cook! Looks great, I need to step my game up
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • HoosierBBQ
    HoosierBBQ Posts: 111
    Options
    MaC122 said:
    Wow!! Nice cook! Looks great, I need to step my game up
    Exactly what I was thinking! That's fantastic!
    Grilling year round in Orlando, FL on a large BGE & Santa Maria
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Great cook. I like the combination of flavors in the manicotti. I need to try making manicottie with homemade pasta. I make pasta regularly but haven't done this. It seems you basically cook the pasta in the sauce? No cooking before?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Zippylip
    Options
    SciAggie said:
     It seems you basically cook the pasta in the sauce? No cooking before?
    yup, it doesn't take much to cook fresh pasta... it just cooks & sucks in the flavor of the sauce while it's at it
    happy in the hut
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Wow!

Little Rock, AR

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Impressive!!
    Nice camera work also.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    That is impressive sir!!  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    This is gonna piss off Darby.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Zippylip
    Options
    bud812 said:
    darby shmarby, he wakes up pissed off
    happy in the hut
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    This is impressive. Looks delicious. Feeling so unworthy now.......
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Zippylip said:
    bud812 said:
    hahaha!

Great looking cook, Marc. Love homemade enchilada sauce. I could drink it straight! And the flatbread!!!

Nice pics too.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Zippylip
    Options
    Zippylip said:
    bud812 said:
    hahaha!

Great looking cook, Marc. Love homemade enchilada sauce. I could drink it straight! And the flatbread!!!

Nice pics too.
    thanks & yea the flatbread was really good, spent about 90 seconds-ish in the blackstone is all, baked to chewy & a little browning; that was after a less than 10 minute preheat, literally fired it up, went inside & in the time it took me to stretch out the dough & get it on the peel the thing was hot enough to do that... one amazing cooker that thing is
    happy in the hut
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    What was the temp of the Blackstone? Mine will be done in my oven, haven't decided on stone or steel yet. Herbs thyme and oregano?

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Zippylip
    Options
    What was the temp of the Blackstone? Mine will be done in my oven, haven't decided on stone or steel yet. Herbs thyme and oregano?
    really don't know the temp, I don't have an IR & the gauge on the blackstone is aggressively inaccurate because its probe is not actually in the oven; what I do know is that after a 15 minute preheat it'll bake a standard thin crust pie in less than 2 minutes all while registering in the neighborhood of 450 degrees so you do the math... 

And thyme only on this one.
    happy in the hut
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Damn man.  Looking good!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Zippylip said:
    really don't know the temp, I don't have an IR & the gauge on the blackstone is aggressively inaccurate because its probe is not actually in the oven; what I do know is that after a 15 minute preheat it'll bake a standard thin crust pie in less than 2 minutes all while registering in the neighborhood of 450 degrees so you do the math... 

And thyme only on this one.
    gotcha. thanks!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    edited July 2016
    Options
    THANK YOU @Zippylip !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marc, that HAD to be among the best breads I have ever had!! And I didn't even make the dough. When I saw this thread earlier today, I knew I had to try the flatbread. Sometimes, when I'm feeling lazy, I buy pizza dough from one of our local grocery stores. It's usually quite good. Bought some today (it was made yesterday)  and baked it tonight as you described.

Did it in my oven at 450°. After about 5-6 minutes, I turned on the broiler and continued until the top "looked right". Soft, tender, great oven spring. No cheese, no meat, no tomatoes... and it was still better than most pizzas!!! And it looked just like yours. :)

Thanks, man - THAT WAS WONDERFUL!!

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I used my baking steel, not the stone.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Zippylip
    Options
    No cheese, no meat, no tomatoes... and it was still better than most pizzas!!! And it looked just like yours. :)

yup, simplicity always works in the kitchen
    happy in the hut
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    You sir are living the high life....
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Zippylip said:
    bud812 said:
    C'mon, youz guys are freeeends!!!

Zippy does it again! It all looks awesome, Marc.

@Carolina Q, Your oven was probably 550 degrees!! Did you ever test that oven temp? 
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Carolina Q
    Options

@Carolina Q, Your oven was probably 550 degrees!! Did you ever test that oven temp? 
    I ALWAYS check oven temp (IR). For 450°, I have to set it at 350°... but I still check. And no, I don't WANT a new oven! :rofl:

Faith, try the flatbread - AWESOME!!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Now that was a great looking cook!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's