Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket help

Options
full packer went on at 7:30 am. Weighs approx 9 or slightly less.  255*.  So it's been on for 5 hours. My thermo pen is reading anywhere between 200 and 185 depending on where.  Issue is that it is not like butter to probe. Not eating for 4.5 hours.   Should I FTC and just let it go?

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

Comments

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Check your pen in boiling water, you know that's 212...  From there you have a baseline to make a decision on how to react...
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Every single brisket I've made I cook at 250 dome. 1.5 hour per pound almost exactly every time.  I think yours needs more time

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Measure the temperature in the thickest part of the flat and don't worry about the point.  Most people wait for it to be tender before FTCing it.  As someone else said, be sure to check your thermometer calibration.

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Forget the temp (other than a guide to start checking for doneness).  The temp and the location for checking for the probes like buttah feel is the thickest part of the flat.  If you don't have the feel ,then don't pull the brisket.  Pay no attention to the point as it is along for the ride.
    And when you get the feel in the great majority of the flat (some may not release) then it's time to pull, set on a cooling rack for 20-30 minutes then FTC til time to serve.
    Temperature is only a guide.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • erniemcclain
    erniemcclain Posts: 505
    Options
    Thanks.  Pulled.  Cooling rack for 10-15. Currently FTC. Wil sit in cooler for 2.5+ hours. 

Praying for Baton Rouge police in particular but all law enforcement. 

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• geronimo
    geronimo Posts: 41
    Options
    Once you pull her off, wrap in foil, wrap in a towel and put in a cooler until you are ready to serve it.  Good luck!!