Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ooops. New BGE and Gasket is coming off

Have had it about 4 weeks.  10 or so cooks so far. Last night was doing a pizza around 600 and this happened

Comments

• Didn't get a chance to finish.

Can this be repaired and if so how?

What are eggers experiences of getting BGE to send a replacement?  (I am in the UK if it makes any difference).

What did I do wrong?

Pizza set up was.  Indirect with platesetter feet up. Grid on top. Pizza stone on top of that.  As I say 600F.

Really annoying. Love my Egg, but after a month to have a problem already at this price.

• coomdaddy
    coomdaddy Posts: 128
    I bet to popular answer will be take this opportunity and get a Rutland.  Sucks it happened that quick though.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Have 4 Eggs and two have not  have a gasket in over 4 years. I see no difference in the way they cook. I see the gasket more of a pad used when closing lid. When the other two loose the gaskets they will not be replaced. Now I should add I do not cook anything under 275.  
    I thought the gasket problem was nearly fixed. Several years ago they would fall off on the first cook. At a fest we would loose 40 to 60% every time. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    I would contact the dealer you purchased the Egg from.
    You can cook without a gasket until you get the new one.
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    There was obviously something wrong with the gasket. The dealer should be able to help you. But I agree with the taking the opportunity to replace it with a rutland. Just contact @RRP and he'll hook you up!

Don't let this color your eggsperience! Problems will happen, but the company really does stand behind their products.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    When I got our Large the gasket was loose. Replaced it. Base cracked...warranty base gasket came loose after a couple cooks. Dome developed a chip, enough to get it a warranty replacement.  Gasket was goofy on it as well. 
    Just curious....did you follow the directions on the Egg site for the first few heat cycles?
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    I also recommend @RRP for a new gasket. 
    You wont go wrong going ahead and putting a Rutland gasket on at this point.
    When the Rutland is on, you won't have to worry about the gasket anymore in the future.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    This always boggles my mind, $800+ cookers with a $5 gasket that the company knows is complete junk.
  • Hmm. They are even pricier in the UK. £700 for a medium!  I wrote a stroppy letter to the UK distributor - lets see what they say.

Doug- what instructions for first few heat cycles?

• rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    FWIW, my gasket has been shot for years---bought a replacement, but never put it on because everything works fine without it
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    I'd have the dealer fix it, then get the Rutland when the replacement is fried. The dealer should make you a happy customer. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Thanks all for the recommendation - we have been in contact and one medium is headed to England today!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • flyerdoc
    flyerdoc Posts: 141
    From what I understand this is not an uncommon problem. I did not have an issue with mine when new, but recently replaced the gasket with another felt one that I bought a few years ago. Well, I put it on and the adhesive was terrible, so I googled a fix and I believe the official BGE response was to use Elmers glue (I'm pretty sure that's where I read it, anyway...) I happened to have some Elmer's around and used it. Worked like a charm!

If I had to do it over I'd use one of the newer materials everyone raves about but this should last for a few years at least. I love knowing that all the smoke is staying where it should and not leaking out the seam. I often flavor smoke my food with hickory or mesquite so for me its extremely nice not to have it leak out around the gasket area.

I understand why many others don't care to use a gasket, I'm just not one of them. Different strokes :)
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    In North America the gasket is a warranty item for the first year or so I think, your dealer should give you a new one. I see you are going the Rutland way, which will set you up for a very long time, however, I would still put the dealer thru the warranty fulfillment steps, even if you just hang on to the replacement gasket (Assuming gaskets are covered in the UK)
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Thanks. yes, I will pursue the warranty, if only to make them pay!, but giventhe cost of the Rutland one, I may as well just replace the cheaper one (which I assume any replacement would be) with one that lasts.

Thanks, all

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Do you know when your MBGE was made? The gasket looks like one of the first high temp versions offered. Gaskets have come a long way over the past few years, the Nomex/Kevlar versions are often <$20 and with easy installing peel and stick adhesive that will last some time. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Tony_T
    edited July 2016

…. I may as well just replace the cheaper one (which I assume any replacement would be) with one that lasts.

The new Eggs (and the replacement gasket you'll get) is not a cheap gasket (like the old felt gaskets), afaik, its a Nomex High Temperature gasket, like this one: http://smokeware.com/collections/nomex-replacement-gaskets
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    My "high temp" gasket came loose within a 2 yrs of purchase. 
  • Tony_T
    Loose or burned?  If just loose, a little 3M Super 77 will fix it.

• Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Fried my gaskets on the first pizza cook and never replaced it. 
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle