Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to grill whole fish, timings, and how stop it sticking

Options

Hello

I'm pretty new to this.  I have just bought a 4.5 pound Halibut that I want to grill whole.

As its a beautiful but pricey piece of fish, I want to make sure I get it right. So can I please ask for some advice.

I've already tried mackerel and the fish just stuck to the grill. I want to stop this happening.  

How do I prepare the grill?  Its the original Stainless Steel one.  Its getting a little grubby as I am not cleaning it between cooks.  I just scrape of the last "bits" with a steel brush.  So, should I clean it properly? should I oil it? Any other tips to stop it sticking?

Next: what is the best grilling temperature I should aim for a whole fish?  And how long (or what internal termp) should I aim for?

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• mrs_story
    mrs_story Posts: 136
    Options
    Hey there!  I just did my first piece of fish a few days ago (not a whole fish).  I was very nervous and asked for advice.  You might find some of it to be helpful:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1197168/advice-for-fish-please#latest

We used a cast iron grate.  My husband is pretty good about brushing the grate at the end of a cook, and before starting another, but I don't know if he oiled the grates this time, because he used the griddle for his part of dinner that night.  However, I gave the skin a spritz of Smart Balance cooking spray before putting them on, and sticking wasn't an issue. 

Good luck with your fish!  I hope it turns out great & you'll share pics!
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    I'd do it on some wine-soaked cedar planks. Your aiming for an IT of around 125 to be done. 
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    I have gone exclusively to cooking fish in cast iron, instead of on the Egg.   It gets a consistently great crust and I just get better results.   If grilling, though, I've had good results with a fish basket:  http://biggreenegg.com/product/expandable-flexi-basket/ .    It prevents it falling apart. You can find one at most any Egg dealer.   Good luck!
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • TheManOnTheBus
    Options

ah Thanks, for all the shopping tips, but I need to cook it today and I don't have cast iron grill, or cedar planks, or fish basket.

Any tip for how to stop the fish sticking on the stainless steel grill? Use oil or not?

Thanks

• Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    I meant I avoid the Egg completely with fish.   I cook in cast itron pan on the stove.   Always turns out better for me.   

If using ss grill grate, you have 2 choices:  keep temp lower: 300-350, only turn once and oil fish and grate before throwing it on, or Cook fish in/on aluminum foil.    
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options

ah Thanks, for all the shopping tips, but I need to cook it today and I don't have cast iron grill, or cedar planks, or fish basket.

Any tip for how to stop the fish sticking on the stainless steel grill? Use oil or not?

Thanks

Cook it on foil then right on the grate. If you go indirect, and use a little cooking spray on the grate and keep temps reasonable you should be ok. I usually use planks, which are available at pretty much any wally-world. No sticking issues, and the planks give it a nice flavor. YRMV 
  • NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Options
    Get your egg to the temp you want with grate in place. Brush grate with grill brush. Oil the fish right before you put it on. Then spray the grate heavily with Pam or similar again right before you put it on. Let fish sit and cook until the skin releases from the grate. Pick it up with a spatula when ready to flip and spray the grate again and flip fish. Cook until done. You should not have a problem.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • TheManOnTheBus
    Options

Thank you, NonaScott. what is PAM?

• TheManOnTheBus
    Options
    Ah just googled. Can't go shopping (and am in the UK anyway where not sure we have these things). will ordinary cooking oil brushed on be equivalent?
  • NonaScott
    Options
    Ah just googled. Can't go shopping (and am in the UK anyway where not sure we have these things). will ordinary cooking oil brushed on be equivalent?
    Yes but do it has heavily as possible. I would oil an old dish rag and rub it on with a pair of tongs 
    Narcoossee, FL

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Ordinary oil helps.  Some people I know slather mayo on the fish (you do not taste this later it's to help prevent sticking). 

The best advice is to not try to separate (flip) the fish until it releases.  When you put the fish on, it will stick.  With some time, it will release.  You can check for release by gently lifting up on the fish with a spatula. 

Cook the fish until it's about 125F internal.  If you don't have an internal thermometer (you really need an instant read), you can go by touch or look into the thickest part of the fish - when it turns opaque, it's done. 

Don't overcook.
    Thanks, all 
    here is the little beauty
    have to cut head/tail off to fit on

direct or indirect? 

In an oven I'd do it for 30 minutes at 370 or
    so

same in Egg?

• NonaScott
    Options
    I personally like the char grill flavor you get with the direct but I would think 10 minutes per side would be max time. If you like more baked flavor then go indirect. I'm not a whole fish expert so I'm not sure how long. I'm going to defer to @nolaegghead on this.
    Narcoossee, FL

• keepervodeflame
    keepervodeflame Posts: 353
    edited July 2016
    Options
     If you really want to cook it whole on the grill , clean your grill well, oil your grill and the fish. You can also wrap the fish with pieces of bacon , which will provide constant lubrication. When you flip it, use the tip of the spatuly to gently lift it away from the grill, if it starts to stick wait a little bit until it releases.  Generally Halibut, which is a truly fine fish, is cooked in fillets. It is a great fish, the only thing you can do wrong is over cook it. When the segments just start to flake, it is done. Actually the easiest and most consistent way to get good results is to wrap it in aluminum foil with some bacon, spice, and citrus, and cook it that way. No issues with sticking, flips easily. Here is a pic of a large trout I did a while back, to give you the idea. I stuffed the trout with sautéed onions, new potatoes and bacon. Delicious. If you foil it , use a thermapen or an instant read thermometer, when it reads a consistent 120 pull it.