Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flank steak receipe request

Anyone have a good one for flank steak? I tried the Google trick, but wasn't inspired by what I saw....my friend meathead doesn't like to marinade.  What say you veterans?
A Lonely Single Large Egg

North Shore of Massachusetts

Comments

• pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    I like to do mine carne asada style. Olive oil, garlic, S&P, cilantro and lime juice. Marinate 1-2 hrs grill direct 600.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • steel_egg
    steel_egg Posts: 295
    I've used this for years. I've had many friends request it. 
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/18074/marinated-flank-steak/

• Robo2015
    Robo2015 Posts: 267
    Thank you @pescadorzih  and @steel_egg! I'm going to let the wife be the deciding vote.  What temp do you cook yours at steel? I'm assuming that is direct as well?

• 6-8 cloves garlic finely chopped. Cover all over meat.  Lots of fresh cracked pepper.  Cover with a good amount of balsamic. Don't use the good stuff. Average works well here. Fridge for 20 mins. Flip for another 20 mins of soaking. Hit a hot grill.  Go med rare. Cut against the grain. 
    Large

Houston,TX
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I'm not at all bashful recommending this wonderful PROVEN recipe!

RRP’s London Broil

Background & Disclaimer: Over 30 years ago someone shared this basic recipe with my wife, Pat. We have no idea of the origin – hence no credit can be given. On the other hand I have tweaked it over the years and have adapted it to grilling on the Big Green Egg.  To this very day it is my favorite meal and I reserve it for my birthday meal plus a couple other special occasion celebrations each year.

Needed:

1 flank steak around 1.25 to 2 pounds

2 T garlic infused EVOO

3 t dried chopped parsley flakes

3 or 4 fresh garlic cloves chopped fine

½ t salt

2 t lemon juice

¼ t fresh ground pepper (12 grinds)

Using a sharp knife trim any excess fat. Scrape off the fine membrane on the one side. Rinse under cold running water and then dry. Option here: I use a Jaccard to assure my flank steak is tender. Combine the above ingredients, and mix well. Lay meat on a piece of Saran wrap and spread the mixture evenly on both sides. Since a flank steak has a strong grain pattern to it with a stringy texture I work the mixture into the meat using the backside of a spoon. Finish wrapping with more Saran wrap and then seal tightly in a food safe plastic bag compressing out air. Refrigerate for at least 24 hours, though 30 is better and 48 is best and do not disturb it!

Next day:

Sauté 8 oz of sliced white button mushrooms in 1/3 stick of real butter and salt to taste and sit aside, but do not drain! (BTW lately the sliced mushrooms are thicker than they used to be so I find they work with this meal better when further sliced in half while still raw.)

In a saucepan create the following au jus:

2 T Heinz Chili Sauce

a pinch of marjoram

a pinch of thyme

a generous pinch of hickory smoked salt

2 generous dashes of Tabasco

2 generous dashes of Worcestershire

5 oz of Burgundy

1 beef bouillon cube

2 oz of water

sprinkle of salt and fresh ground pepper

Optional: ½ t of flour (add the flour to a T of hot water from the tap so that it will dissolve)

Mix these ingredients well and add several slices of onions, broken apart and left as rings or cut in half. Simmer the pot until it starts the fine bubble stage. At this point add the mushrooms and their liquid and stir well. This can be done in advance, left to cool and refrigerate until time to reheat and serve with the meal.

Grilling the meat:

Flank steak is thin and if overcooked it will become tough very quickly.

Remove meat from refrigerator and place on counter for at least 2 hours before grilling time.

Fire up your BGE and stabilize at 650 to 700 degrees dome as you will be grilling direct. Unwrap the meat and quickly place on the grill for a mere 2 minutes for first side, flip for 2 more minutes and  remove the meat as the cooking is done!

Quickly cut the meat across the grain in thin strips of ¼” to 3/8” slices. Prepare the plates with meat and garnish with the warm au jus/mushroom mixture. We love this meal with mashed potatoes also garnished with the mixture.

I just hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do. BTW I love any leftovers just cold and eaten over the kitchen sink the next day!    Ron Pratt, aka RRP in Dunlap, IL

Updated November 4, 2012

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    I do a few different things, most frequently have made a sort of home-made teriyaki-style marinade a girl back in the late '60s showed me how to do, with soy sauce, honey, ginger and mustard powder.  I've slightly tweaked her recipe over the years:

1 cup tamari 
    1 "glop" honey (hey -- it was the '60s) I taste it and add till it tastes right, just a little sweet. 
    1 inch ginger root grated. (She used ground dried, because fresh wasn't available back then.) 
    1 tablespoon dry mustard (I'm guessing on most of these) 
    2 cloves garlic 
    2 tablespoons Asian roasted sesame oil (I'm guessing again, and this wasn't part of her recipe - I added it.) 

Directions:

Marinate the beef Mix the marinade, pour into a ziploc bag, add the beef, squeeze out most of the air, seal, marinate at least several hours.  I used to do it overnight, but I'm not sure the texture doesn't suffer a little, though the taste is super that way.  I don't recall how long she did it.

But here's another marinade I've tried and liked, and was a prize winner in a national beef cookout: Pacific Rim Glazed Flank Steak.
  • Robo2015
    Robo2015 Posts: 267
    Thanks for all the input guys.  I'll make sure to post some pictures- show time will be on Sunday.

• TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    I have marinated in past but last weekend I did s&p, melted butter with a squirt of lemon juice and Lawery's season salt. Brushed the butter mix each flip. Cooked at stock grate level. Had a nice char. It was probably my best yet.
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • steel_egg
    steel_egg Posts: 295
    Robo2015 said:
    Thank you @pescadorzih  and @steel_egg! I'm going to let the wife be the deciding vote.  What temp do you cook yours at steel? I'm assuming that is direct as well?
    400 raised direct.  Few minutes on each side until you hit your desired temp.   I try to let the marinade run off as much as possible at the start. 
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    I use the same recipe as @steel_egg and posted about it a while back.  Only recent change is I crank up the garlic and black pepper. You will see that I also tenderize (pound it). 
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1161421/found-a-great-flank-steak-marinade#latest

Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • BGEnewBFF
    BGEnewBFF Posts: 1
    My "go to" flank steak recipe is actually one from weight watchers. 
    I grill direct at 600 for 3 minutes each side. Close all vents and rest 2 minutes.

https://www.weightwatchers.com/us/recipe/korean-style-grilled-flank-steak-1/5626a5ce2084d63a34017067