Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

You need a lot of patience for a bacon cheesburger

Options
Tjcoley
Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
Anybody ever try to sous vide an unopened pack of bacon for 2 days before cooking it?  I'll be doing some burgers this weekend on the Egg, and I just might have to make them bacon cheddar burgers.

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/tips-tricks-the-world-s-best-bacon-cooks-allllll-night-long?utm_source=ChefSteps&utm_campaign=85d268bc9b-overnight_bacon_non_joule&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_a61ebdcaa6-85d268bc9b-131917241

Comments

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I am 24hrs from having my bacon ready to smoke,cool and slice and THEN I can fry it up to go on my burgers.  It has been a 2 week process. 

Started with 3lbs of pork belly, rubbed with kosher salt, br sugar and fresh cracked pepper and into a ziplock bag in the fridge for 14 days. Then remove from the ziplock, dry it off, add more pepper and put it back in the fridge for 2 more days not covered on paper towels to soak up any additional moisture. Then, (tomorrow), on the Egg for 3-4hrs at < 190 with maple smoking wood. Cool for an hour or so in the fridge and then slice it up thick or thin as desired.

Next day, cook the bacon, fire up the egg with burgers and the best dang bacon cheese burger you have had. 
  • Tjcoley
    Options
    Sounds Great @onedbguru Making my own bacon is high on the to do list.  For this go around, I'm using a package of SRF bacon, violating the scientific principal of introducing 2 variables at once.  First time for SNF bacon, first time SV for 24 hours for bacon.
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Tjcoley said:
    Anybody ever try to sous vide an unopened pack of bacon for 2 days before cooking it?  

I would suggest opening it over the sink.   :D

I'm making cheeseburgers tomorrow, didn't even think to add some bacon; thanks for the hint!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Looks worthy of a try.
    Save, strain(optional), the lard per usual.
    Thanks for posting.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @onedbguru any nitrite in that recipe? 

@tjcoley keep us updated.... that SV stuff is so unusual!

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I have bacon in for an overnight to sear in the morning. Not a new pack, but I vac sealed what I had. 
  • blind99
    Options
    @theyolksonyou  jesus there are two of you doing this? madness!  one of you should expect a knock on the door tomorrow morning.

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    blind99 said:
    @theyolksonyou  jesus there are two of you doing this? madness!  one of you should expect a knock on the door tomorrow morning.

You'd better hurry. My wife's an eating machine!
  • blind99
    Options
    blind99 said:

You'd better hurry. My wife's an eating machine!
    @theyolksonyou

i'll be crafty... maybe distract her with a zulily sale?
  • Tjcoley
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I've got a guard with a killer giant zucchini weapon watching over the bacon. She won't let anyone near it. 
    Options
    i've heard of children of the corn, but children with zucchini are way more intimidating!  
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    blind99 said:
    @onedbguru any nitrite in that recipe? 

@tjcoley keep us updated.... that SV stuff is so unusual!

no nitrites.  It is a recipe as best my dad can remember. When he was young (<17) Thanksgiving day was "hog killin' day".  I added the brn sugar, they just used salt/pepper and would hang it in the smokehouse until needed. They also smoked it for several days.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options

Definitely different eith perfectly rendered fat. 
  • Tjcoley
    Options
    Mine came out similar.  It seems like the SV took out the water while rendering the fat.  It crisped up much quicker, and the bacon grease left after cooking seemed more pure (not sure pure is the right word, but I'd compare it to clarified butter vs melted butter)  It made for a good bacon cheeseburger.

Options
    It fries up incredibly quick!  My oldest likes his bacon floppy. I may try again and feed it to him straight out of the SV. He wasn't home this AM.