Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How much rub to use?

Options
When I have walked around at a BBQ competition, I've seen competitors using a rub on their ribs in every possible way. Some dump it on thick, others just a light sprinkle. No real consistency from one to another.

So I wonder what most people do. Personally, I tend to use just enough to almost (but not quite) make the surface of the meat disappear. Seems to me that more would be wasted, but I don't know that.

Comments?
Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    What part of Ohio you from?  

In regards to your question, what you noticed at the BBQ comp, is about the same as you'll get here.  It's all subjective to the cook/chef and their taste, needs, and wants.  

I say experiment with your own Q and find your sweet spot.  Not some dude in Central NC.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    i probably go heavier than most, between the bad byrons and the brown sugar im guessing two cups per rack =) butt is even more, i cover the butt with rub til i see no meat showing, then a light coating of mustard, then more rub til the mustard dissapears
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Depends

Burgers? Light dusting

WIngs? Depends how hot I want them

Ribs? Fair amount

Butt? Same
    New Albany, Ohio 

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Went to 'Slap yo Daddy' bbq class recently, one thing I took away is to remember 'the meat is the star' NOT the rub. I learned I was using too much rub.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    Great comments, and I appreciate the input. Reason I asked is that my wife sometimes says I used too much rub, so I've been trying to dial it down a bit. I definitely agree that pork can handle a heavier coating than beef, but beyond that I'm fairly clueless as to best practice.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Check out the recommends from Dizzy Pig

Ask yer wife why she thinks there was too much rub. More spice than she liked, or just the meat flavor was blocked? From reading many posts, it seems gals have a somewhat more sensitive taste. "Too hot," or "Too smokey" comments appear pretty often.
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    gdenby said:
    Check out the recommends from Dizzy Pig
    Thanks, that's an interesting page. I agree with about half of it, but only half.
    It depends so much on the type of meat, type of rub, and length of cook. Their recommendations are a decent starting point, but that's all.