Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rainy Day Pork Burnt Ends

Options
Hotch
Hotch Posts: 3,564
Raining this morning so figured it was a good day to try some @SGH Pork Burnt Ends. Local store had County Style Ribs for $1.39 lb. Did a bit of trimming, cube'd them and bagged them overnight in the fridge with a little v oil and a lot of "It's My Rub Smooth Blend" for the sweetness. Will let them roll @ 250, on the LBGE, till I get an IT of around 170. Then pull them to cool a bit. Load them in a pan loaded up with a nice sweet Bourbon and Citrus BBQ sauce till they are tender!
Will post the finish later this afternoon!!

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
BGE Chiminea
Prosper, TX

Comments

• EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    Options
    YUMMMMM!!  We will be following closely because I want to try these, too. Have a fun weekend, and we'll hopefully see y'all soon!
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    The @SGH burnt ends recipe is a winner. I need to do this cook again and soon. Looking forward to seeing the end result, Hotch. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    A glimpse of the chiminea! Everytime i see your grate i get so jealous!
    Austin, Tx
  • dopey
    dopey Posts: 201
    Options
    Dope backyard!!
    What I do when I'm black out drunk is none of my business...

John Central CT
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Looking good!  I was wondering if it would work just as well to cube them up from the start instead of after they have smoked for a while.  

Are you planning on injecting them with butter at any point?  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Hotch
    Options
    Looking good!  I was wondering if it would work just as well to cube them up from the start instead of after they have smoked for a while.  

@SmokeyPitt I thought about it. Butt to damn lazy!
    I have the Smooth Blend Rub and also the Bourbon Citrus BBQ sauce going on later. This should provide for a multitude of flavors in the profile.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Hotch said:

@SmokeyPitt I thought about it. Butt to damn lazy!
    I have the Smooth Blend Rub and also the Bourbon Citrus BBQ sauce going on later. This should provide for a multitude of flavors in the profile.
    They sound great.  I was also too lazy for the butter injection when I made them. I glazed them with a combination of BBQ sauce and peach preserves. My only complaint is I didn't make enough. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Hotch
    Options
    Quick Update 1.5 hours in at 290-300 (Opps!)
    Looking great. IT is high at 198-200, still a bit tight.
    Will let it roll for another 30 min then into the sauce for a bit.

BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Hotch
    Options
    This may turn out to be lunch! These little piggie bites are all in the BBQ sauce pool now. I figure lunch in about 45 minutes.

BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    Looking great, Hotch!  
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    sweet jesus I need to try these
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I have only done pork burnt ends with a pork butt.  Interesting to see how they come out, this would be a little less in time.  Looks good so far.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Hotch
    Options
    OK these are killer!! On at 9:30 am and eating at 12:30!! 3 Hours, incredible!!
    I will do these from now on. Just a bit overdone due to the temp going to 300 but all in all a good cook.
    Enjoy and thanks for looking...

Off the Egg and cooling a bit

Frigging outstanding!!!

BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    Looks fantastic...I thought I smelled something good when I was driving to work this morning...  =)
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • Hotch
    Options
    A little PSA:
    Temp Gauges
    Since my temp looked like it went high on this cook, I thought I should check the calibration. On all my Eggs.
    First I pulled the gauge on my large with the Pork Burnt Ends and popped in my thermopen. 
    Failed 60 degrees off!
    Next my MiniMax
    Failed 45 degrees off!
    Next my trusty 7 year old Mini
    Better 15 degrees off. 
    And yes I did all calibrations on the stove top with a rolling boil.
    All are set to 212, same as thermopen.

Just do it !
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    Since the burnt ends didn't take too terribly long, do you think you'll do some at an Eggfest?  I can't wait to try them!  That's crazy about all the temp gauges being off so much.  We'll check ours this weekend.

Kelley 
  • Hotch
    Options
    Since the burnt ends didn't take too terribly long, do you think you'll do some at an Eggfest?  I can't wait to try them!  That's crazy about all the temp gauges being off so much.  We'll check ours this weekend.

@EggObsessed Possibly if I have 2 Eggs to use.
    Also the custom MiniMax Grids I ordered may be here on Monday, fingers crossed!!
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    Hotch said:

@EggObsessed Possibly if I have 2 Eggs to use.
    Also the custom MiniMax Grids I ordered may be here on Monday, fingers crossed!!
    What kind of grids did you order? I'm in the market for a grid for mine.
    Austin, Tx
  • Hotch
    Options
    I will post once I get it.
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    Options
    I did these for the first time on July 4th for a neighbors party and they were awesome! Not a piece left! I may never make pulled pork again. These things are just way too good.
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    Your back yard is bad ass! The burnt ends don't look to shabby either.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Burnt ends look outstanding, @Hotch
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Hotch
    Looks like a winner to me ole buddy. And I certainly appreciate the shout out from you and @SmokingPiney

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.