Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need help with weed burner

Options
I've had two Greenwood self-igniting weed burners from Harbor Freight that didn't work. I really didn't want to bother with a striker but I'll probably have to settle for that. Please tell me what brand works well, how many BTUs I need to light charcoal, and where to buy it online or in a store.
Judy in San Diego

Comments

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    I have this one that I got at Lowes. It does not have a real big flame but it works just fine. Runs off of the small propane bottles & they last a pretty long time.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    I bought a Bernzomatic 19425 "self - igniting" torch.  The "self-igniting" feature failed after about three tries.  When it failed, I just used a Scripto or Weber lighter to fire it up.  Works great.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • tonkaegger
    tonkaegger Posts: 35
    Options
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I agree with @tonkaegger.  Red dragon is good quality.  I have the 500,000 btu model which I had for other purposes.  The 100,000 model is probably more sensible for lighting an egg.

Phoenix 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    I have the Greenwood, without striker and it works fine for burning weeds. I have used it to light briquettes but find that for lump it is way overkill. The Bernzomatic torch and MAP is ideal, 30 to 60 seconds to start lump without showering half the neighbourhood in sparks and embers. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I have the self ignite one, but bought a striker because those self ignition assemblies aren't durable. Lasted less than 6 months. 

That being said, I don't mind the striker. I just have a little Sterlite container out with the eggs that have the striker, gloves, spacers, erc. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I went with the BernzOmatic JT850 garden torch.  It is smaller, more compact than a full blown weed burner. Lights lump just fine.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    The Bernzomatic torch and MAP is ideal... 
    MAP-Pro gas is unnecessary. Propane is fine, for a fraction of the price. You do need the MAP torch head though as it works better when inverted.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I went with the BernzOmatic JT850 garden torch.  It is smaller, more compact than a full blown weed burner. Lights lump just fine.

Hmm.. Except for the propane tank that sits on the ground/deck, I'd say this is more cumbersome than the weed torch.  That thing is longer than your table.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    The length is nice, keeps you away from the sparks. 
    So easy to light on those damp and humid days where the paper towels and starters fail to light.

Keep mine, along with safety glasses, ready to go on the wall of the kitchen.

When I light, I keep it going and weed around the house and fence.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    Options
    I still like my Looftlighter :)
  • whta
    whta Posts: 62
    Options
    Heck, I've been using 90 proof rubbing alcohol all this time....Wonder if I need to look for something else?
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    MAP-Pro gas is unnecessary. Propane is fine, for a fraction of the price. You do need the MAP torch head though as it works better when inverted.
    Agree that MAP is overkill if used only as a fire starter, in my case I use two or three cylinders a year (14oz size at $10 each) mostly for plumbing renovation work. MAP is much faster/easier for plumbing than propane IMO. The 4000 series torch does work very well when inverted. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Agree that MAP is overkill if used only as a fire starter, in my case I use two or three cylinders a year (14oz size at $10 each) mostly for plumbing renovation work. MAP is much faster/easier for plumbing than propane IMO. The 4000 series torch does work very well when inverted. 
    Not so much overkill as overpriced. I always understood that the old MAPP was significantly hotter than propane, but that MAP-Pro was not. I try to do as little plumbing as possible. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options

Hmm.. Except for the propane tank that sits on the ground/deck, I'd say this is more cumbersome than the weed torch.  That thing is longer than your table.  
    It fits into the cabinet where I store my egging supplies. Easier to take out to the egg than carrying around a large propane tank (which doesn't store well in the cabinet).  I keep my egg and supplies on a screened covered porch. I move it outside into the open for cooking. For me, this torch is less cumbersome than the larger weed burner and tank.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Not so much overkill as overpriced. I always understood that the old MAPP was significantly hotter than propane, but that MAP-Pro was not. I try to do as little plumbing as possible. :)
    PEX makes plumbing ultra moron proof, even for guys like me, but almost always there is a need to cut and cap some copper. MAP-Pro works much faster to heat a fitting than propane - have no idea if it does actually burn hotter or if it is just the torch head. 
    Friend with a KJ is on his third season with a Bernzomatic MAP-Pro that he only uses for starting lump, he claims he will switch to the 1/4 price propane cylinders if the MAP ever expires.  :)
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    Options
    Focker said:
    So easy to light on those damp and humid days where the paper towels and starters fail to light.

make a pizza or 2 , doya?!
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I have been thinking of getting one of these, but I just spend $10 on starter sticks that I get about 30 cooks out of or more and if I need to get it hot fast I use my leaf blower.  Still may get one though.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited July 2016
    Options
    billt01 said:
    Focker said:

make a pizza or 2 , doya?!
    A few. 
    But one of them came with the Blackstone.  =)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."