Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lamb Breast

Options
Looking for some cooking suggestions, I picked up a 2.3LB slab of Chiappetti Lamb Breast today.  While called a breast it looks like a slab of ribs.  I'm planning to cool tomorrow evening, although I'm not sure how to cook and the search function on the forum has yielded limited results.  I was thinking 400 raised direct but I'm not sure how long to cook them or how tender the final outcome will be.  I imagine I could go low and slow but don't want to put hours in tomorrow evening...it's a school night after all.   

Anyone have experience with this cook?  I definitely want to cook on the BGE, not looking to braise.
Chicago, Illinois

Comments

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    Like a breast of veal?  Those usually come with a slot for stuffing. Does yours?

i recall it was better braised than roasted, but needs a lot of seasoning (the veal did).  

I will look back in the ancient folders in the morning and see if i can dig up what we did. 

Wasn't memorable though. Think your lamb has more flavor to begin with. So hopefully you do better than we did
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• KKorkmaz
    KKorkmaz Posts: 150
    Options
    Thanks Darby, the lamb "breast" doesn't appear to have a slot for stuffing, it looks like a portion of rib attached to a thick end with more meat.  Here are some pics with a medium sized banana for reference.  Appreciate your insights!
    Chicago, Illinois
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I would braise it first with Mediterranean seasonings, then throw it on the grill raised direct to sear.   They can get weird trying to cook low and slow like pork ribs.   The can have a lot of fat, and lamb fat is a flavor that some don't like. 
    Options
    As the other guys said, better braised. There was a group at the Toronto egg fest that did one as a roast a few years ago and it was excellent. They did it at 300

Steve 

Caledon, ON