Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The beef box

Options
McStew
McStew Posts: 965
edited July 2016 in Off Topic
anyone heard of or going to try this out The beef box for aging. Looks simple to use, yes I know about the bags.... Sorry if this has been talked about before but I haven't seen this discussed yet.  I might pick on up
Hermosa Beach CA 

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    edited July 2016
    Options
    no - I had not, and in spite of me being an avid fan of UMAiDry bags I must admit that his converted plastic box leaves me cold! Not just the price he wants, but also the amount of space it will take in your refrigerator as well as the thorough cleaning you might want to do in between uses. While his appeal as a permeant container versus a one time use UMAiDry bag may appeal to some folks it doesn't to me. Off my soap box - but you did ask.
    Here's his Kickstarter link:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/776705379/the-beef-box-enjoy-premium-aged-steaks-at-home
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    so it's a fan, temperature/humidity monitor? We can make this! Fan, DHT22 ($10), and an arduino or similar 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • McStew
    Options
    Yah I tried the bags and didn't like them at all.. maybe I did something wrong but I won't be using them again ... Over priced for something you just throw away... Just my opinion.... 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    McStew said:
     Over priced for something you just throw away... Just my opinion.... 
    That's cool - it was your money so you are entitled to your opinion! I wonder why you didn't like them and ask as I might have been able to help you as I have used them for years and been quite happy. BTW I just don't re-use my Food Saver Bags either, but to each his own. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Open the cryo, leave the beef on a rack in the fridge. Done

not sure how it could be simpler. But i'm just an idiot with fewer than one thousand food related posts. 

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• McStew
    Options
    Open the cryo, leave the beef on a rack in the fridge. Done

not sure how it could be simpler. But i'm just an idiot with fewer than one thousand food related posts. 

I'm sure when doc so-and-so is done cooking his hotdogs, he'll be here to explain the finer points of the various aging techniques

[troll mode activated]
    I agree 100% but with wife gets in the way so we might be able to agree on this 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited July 2016
    Options
    My wife and i like to discuss things. 

She asks "you sure that's ok?" And i say "yeah". And explain how it works, and then she says "sounds good". 

Likewise, she would never say to her friends "i would like to, but my husband told me I couldn't "

but that's just how we roll. 

She'd try home made garum, i'd bet

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• McStew
    Options
    @Darby_Crenshaw I give my wife a lot of grief and she still puts up with all my habits and hobbies... I gave in on not using the fridge but that's just how i roll .... we willingly eat shrimp paste when visiting family it is very similar to garum 

in your opinion do you think this might be a good alternative? 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    You're making this too complicated.  No need for a box or a bag, you just need to stack up some pickle jars to hide the meat.  Maybe even come koolickles.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    My wife and i like to discuss things. 

She asks "you sure that's ok?" And i say "yeah". And explain how it works, and then she says "sounds good". 

Likewise, she would never say to her friends "i would like to, but my husband told me I couldn't "

but that's just how we roll. 

She'd try home made garum, i'd bet

Funny you mention that.  I've been planning some home made fish sauce, not pure garum, but the autolysis will be there on a smaller scale, as the whole fish is used.  Fish sauce is probably my favorite condiment, and although I live with a super taster, super schnowzer smeller who finds it revolting, we find middle ground.

Just the other day I made Caesar dressing, and I used anchovy paste (which was quickly detected), the umami deliciousness won her over, well, the combination I should say.   Hard to argue with - that's traditional and one of the main flavors (I say).

Most of my "science experiments" are met with some disdain, (fat dripping from the pancetta hanging over the counter for example), the matter is usually resolved with some simple diplomacy and consideration.

Options
    I must add there are some limits to what can be tolerated with civility.  I bump up against those limits now and then.  And fix it.