Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Accidents Happen....

Options
Just in case one of those eggcessories gets dropped, I have discovered this works pretty well.  Last winter I broke a leg off of the platesetter and it is holding up quite well.   Just thought I would post as a reminder not to just pitch and replace.

1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Can you ground your club in the hazard? JK, of course you can't.
  • Bentgrass
    Bentgrass Posts: 443
    Options
    The last thing I needed was a distraction from making my picks for the Open !⛳️
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    I swear, if duct tape can't fix it, JB weld can. 
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    After being dropped on a concrete patio (oops), my ceramic cap has been held together by JB Weld for 3+ years without issue.  Your patch is much neater than mine, well done.
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Shattered mine on the patio.  Bought a Smokeware Cap and haven't looked back.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    The only thing more frustrating then the broken cap are the rules of golf. 
    Nice job on the fix 

Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Bentgrass
    Options
    Focker said:
    Does that smokeware cap do a good job snuffing the fire out ?  High on my want list and the first thing I thought when the cap broke is that I should order one.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Bentgrass said:
    Focker said:
    Does that smokeware cap do a good job snuffing the fire out ?  High on my want list and the first thing I thought when the cap broke is that I should order one.
    If you really want to snuff it out faster, they make an aluminum disc that fits inside the cap to completely snuff it out quicker. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Bentgrass said:
    Focker said:
    I've never noticed an appreciable difference between the smokeware and the standard issue cap.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    My wife dropped ours a few years ago on accident. Unfortunately it was too shattered to bandage up. So I give her crap anytime she's outside when I need to snuff out the fire with the daisy wheel. My wife's response, "I dropped and cracked the cap but I recall you running over the large egg with your truck!". I have no comeback for that. She wins
    I'm fairly new here. You ran over a LBGE with a truck? 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Snuffs out fine on my 3 caps.  Really see no need for the disc.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Bentgrass
    Options
    Focker said:
    Snuffs out fine on my 3 caps.  Really see no need for the disc.
    Good to hear- now interested in the lbge that got run over with the truck !  
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Bentgrass said:
    Focker said:
    If you really want to snuff it out faster, they make an aluminum disc that fits inside the cap to completely snuff it out quicker. 
    Yup...BTW don't be fooled by the perspective here - the disc merely appears larger, but it fits inside just fine.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    yljkt said:
    WeberWho said:
    My wife dropped ours a few years ago on accident. Unfortunately it was too shattered to bandage up. So I give her crap anytime she's outside when I need to snuff out the fire with the daisy wheel. My wife's response, "I dropped and cracked the cap but I recall you running over the large egg with your truck!". I have no comeback for that. She wins
    When I was done using the egg I rolled it into the garage behind my truck without much thought. I planned on moving it the next morning before work. Not thinking I went and grabbed a Coke in the beer fridge that's in the front of the garage before work the next morning. This threw me off as I didn't walk behind my truck like I always do. I went from the front of the garage to my drivers side door. Big mistake. I jump into my truck and start backing out of the garage like normal and the next thing I hear is a loud clunk. I thought maybe my driveshaft dropped or my muffler went. I walk around my truck and see the egg in pieces all over the driveway. Fortunately it was my spare used $200 large egg. Not fun starting out your work day that way though. So now I catch crap from my wife. =)

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I have Smokeware caps on each, L BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.  Love everything about them.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Bentgrass
    Options
    RRP said:
    Bentgrass said:
    Focker said:
    Yup...BTW don't be fooled by the perspective here - the disc merely appears larger, but it fits inside just fine.

That looks like one quality addition for the egg- I don't know how many times I have cooked in a downpour or got inside and looked down only to see that the wheel had opened up a bit from where I had it set.
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    yljkt said:
    WeberWho said:
    When I was done using the egg I rolled it into the garage behind my truck without much thought. I planned on moving it the next morning before work. Not thinking I went and grabbed a Coke in the beer fridge that's in the front of the garage before work the next morning. This threw me off as I didn't walk behind my truck like I always do. I went from the front of the garage to my drivers side door. Big mistake. I jump into my truck and start backing out of the garage like normal and the next thing I hear is a loud clunk. I thought maybe my driveshaft dropped or my muffler went. I walk around my truck and see the egg in pieces all over the driveway. Fortunately it was my spare used $200 large egg. Not fun starting out your work day that way though. So now I catch crap from my wife. =)

Wow. Years ago I had an F350 diesel dually and the batteries were on the way out. Dragged out a battery charger, it snowed, and the next morning it lit off and I ran over the charger. Still haven't heard the end of that lol....
  • flyerdoc
    flyerdoc Posts: 141
    Options
    If Smokeware wants my $$$ they have to make that thing in BLACK, I can't stand the blink of all that Stainless...hey, to each his own. As long as the food tastes great I guess the looks of the cooker are secondary :)
  • flyerdoc
    flyerdoc Posts: 141
    Options
    I mean BLING of all that stainless...

• Bentgrass
    Options
    It would be better in black- maybe changing the bands and hinge to stainless...  That could be cool.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    I fixed a pump that broke in a freeze with JB and it held up for 20 years.  I have wondered in using it on the BGE if it might gas off something noxious when hot.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• RRP
    Options
    I fixed a pump that broke in a freeze with JB and it held up for 20 years.  I have wondered in using it on the BGE if it might gas off something noxious when hot.
    I don't think it will off gas, but if you read the specs of JB Weld it sure doesn't do well at temps normally found inside an egg. I'm always amazed at posts saying they repaired a PS - to me that is just a major accident waiting to happen - but again to each his own.
  • BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Options
    I use a PS for low and slow, temps are fine for JB I also fixed a ceramic cap with it. Again the temp is dropping as soon as the cap is put on so the max temp is probably within range as well.
    It may work on a fire box, but I don't know.

Bob
    Cooking on the coast
  • RRP
    Options
    BikerBob said:
    I use a PS for low and slow, temps are fine for JB I also fixed a ceramic cap with it. Again the temp is dropping as soon as the cap is put on so the max temp is probably within range as well.
    It may work on a fire box, but I don't know.

Bob
    I painstakingly used it on a fire box once and clamped it for 24 hours and it fell apart on the first use. The temperature at the firebox level is much higher than what JB Weld is rated for. But I suppose YMMV... =)
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:

I painstakingly used it on a fire box once and clamped it for 24 hours and it fell apart on the first use. The temperature at the firebox level is much higher than what JB Weld is rated for. But I suppose YMMV... =)
    Besides the clamp I dimpled two fender washers so I could even clamp the fire box precisely! T'was a waste of fender washers!

• bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Had a great idea to try my first chicken cooker. Or Aka beer can chicken.
    Slice & dice.Beer can cook had too much while the beer can chicken was going. Just kidding. Timed it off by a bit as you can see...
    Austin, Tx
  • RollTideRob
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    yljkt said:
    WeberWho said:

My question is how do you have room for coke in your beer fridge?

Large, Medium

Heflin, AL
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    yljkt said:
    WeberWho said:

My question is how do you have room for coke in your beer fridge?

It's for the whiskey! =)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Holepuncher
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    yljkt said:
    WeberWho said:

Bet that took a whole tube of JB Weld.
    Hendersonville, TN.