Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"Must Have" Egg Accesories?

Options
da87
da87 Posts: 640
Still a newbie and learning every day from my mistakes! 

Now that I've cooked almost every meal we've eaten at home on the LBGE since getting it for Father's Day/Birthday, I think I'm ready for the next step - more toys for the LBGE.  The only accessories/tools I have at this point are the very basics:  plate setter, ash tool, grate lifter.  I know it depends on what I'll cook most often - but the problem is I love food (and good wine) and seem to be trying everything I see on the forum or in the cookbook that looks good!

What are your must haves?  CI grate, AR, Extender, pizza stone....?  Thanks for the input!
Doug
Wayne, PA
LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Thermapen. Probably the most important tool I own with the BGE
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    Options
    My top three:  Kick Ash Basket, Thermapen, and something to raise the grate for cooking raised direct.  I use firebricks, but there are other options out there.
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Give the search box here a look with "must have egg accessories" and you will get several hits.  Some good reading in addition to anything posted here.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    Pizza stone came home with the egg, it's a must have at my house. I agree on the Thermapen. We actually don't use our full AR set up very often. 
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I'm an old curmudgeon, no doubt, and it sounds like you're hoping people will talk you into buying a bunch of new toys, so I'm going against the flow, here.  But I'd urge you not to buy anything until it seems clear to YOU that you need it.  You can spend a fortune on stuff you don't really need and without really improving your enjoyment of cooking on your BGE at all.  Put your focus on cooking great stuff, on recipes and techniques, getting really good at cooking superb food on the Egg that you and those you serve it to enjoy.  Buy an accessory if/when it becomes clear you need it.

CI grid is a great example.  Some people really seem to care about grill marks, and if YOU find that you keep being disappointed, somehow, that you don't have a deep, dark "brand" criss-crossed on your food, and you don't mind spending the money and maybe having to deal with rust, get a CI grid, by all means!  But I don't care a lick about grill marks, and if I had purchased one just because people told me it's a "must-have" accessory, it would have been a waste of money and a pain in the neck.

If YOU want to cook pizza, then you want a pizza stone.  I love pizza, but for whatever reason, I've never cooked one in my Eggs.  But if you have to ask whether a pizza stone is a "must-have" accessory," then you clearly don't need one, because if you were dying to make pizzas in the Egg, you wouldn't need to ask whether to buy a pizza stone or not -- you'd know.

Let what you want to cook be your guide.  If you keep finding that you need to cook more ribs than you can fit in your Large, or multiple briskets, or other very large capacity cooks, then YOU will know an AR would be a great purchase for you.  But if you haven't been finding yourself wanting to cook a lot more than you can in your Egg without an AR, then why would you spend the money?

da87 said:
    Still a newbie and learning every day from my mistakes!  ... I love food (and good wine) and seem to be trying everything I see on the forum or in the cookbook that looks good!
    THAT's the ticket!  Keep doing that!  :)
  • Renaud
    Renaud Posts: 11
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Kick Ash Basket is nice for quick grills. Also helps keep the holes open. Love it. Also the new ones are amazing quality. Looftlighter is so nice. I light my lump in under 5 minutes. It's so convenient. I really like my iGrill probes. I set one on the grate and one in my meat for temperature and open my Egg far less. It's great for smokes. I have a thermapen, but find I use it much less now that I trust my probes. Good pair of gloves are also nice to have. Cast iron skillet and Dutch oven are essential in my cooks. 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Here are mine: 

1 - A better way to light other than cubes.  In my case a weed torch from Harbor Freight was a game changer for me.  Up and running in no time.  I got inconsistent results with starter cubes.  

2 - A nice thermometer.  

3 - A way to raise your cooking grate and a second tier.  

4 - Gloves (two pair).  A regular work glove for handling the cooled Egg, getting it ready, etc and a pair that handles heat well for removing PS, grate, etc when hot.  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    never used a plate setter, was always bricks and a second grid which gave me the option for indirect cooks and raised direct. most of my cooks are raised direct. i now have an ar with spider and stone, its a really nice setup but the bricks and extra grid works just as well although i would not go back =) thermapen was a game changer for me
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jeponline
    jeponline Posts: 290
    Options
    I bought a Thermapen before I even had the egg.  It's even improved our indoor cooking, no more guessing when things are done and no need to overcook meat to really be sure we don't give anyone food poisoning.
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • HondaHawk
    HondaHawk Posts: 98
    Options
    Ash vacuum, thermapen, pizza stone, kick ash basket, woo, and BBQ guru (wifi). All of these help make life easier. 

I have the CI grate and a CI plate setter. Since the woo I never use them and if I'm doing a good sear I'll just use a CI skillet or caveman. 
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    looking back over past few years these are the must have items for me:
    1) CGS multigrid setup, spider and stone
    2) high quality pizza stone
    3) Bbq guru pit temp controller
    4) decent quality digital thermometer
    5) Rutland gasket and @RRP instrux for installation

Other wish list items: cast iron grid and pan, Dutch oven, thermapen, wok, remote temperature monitor, cgs ceramic stilts for grid elevation, vertical bird roaster, deep food grade brining containers, sous vide circulator

This would about do it for me
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    A nice instant read thermometer and cold beer. Done. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Pizza Stone
    Means for a raised grid (AR, PSWoo2, bricks)
    A handful of rubs - for ribs, beef, chicken, wings, etc. 
    A good thermometer - thermapen/pop
    Wood chunks/chips - apple, hickory, pecan
    Cast Iron Dutch Oven and Pan
    New Albany, Ohio 

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    For all cooking, not just for the egg, a good instant read thermometer is a must have (my favorite is the Thermapen).

The one must have for the egg is a way to set up the egg for indirect cooking - which you have with the plate setter.

Everything else are "nice to haves", but not really must haves.  There are many accessories available that can make specific functions easier/more convenient.  Just take your time and decide if the item will actually solve an issue for you.  Be aware that there are some accessories available that really only exist to pad the bank account of the seller - they don't really help you.

Start by deciding what you want to cook.  Cook it with the setup you have. Then decide if any accessory would improve that cook and if it is worth your purchase.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    edited July 2016
    Options
    My top three:  Kick Ash Basket, Thermapen, and something to raise the grate for cooking raised direct.  I use firebricks, but there are other options out there.
    ^^^^ this. I use a Woo from CGS to hold the plate setter and raise the grate. Sure makes it easy to move when it's hot. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Thermapen. Probably the most important tool I own with the BGE
    ^^^This. A thousand times this. 

Once you start employing a meat thermometer, there's no going back - improves your cooks exponentially and helps ensure consistency.

Gloves, for handling hot things, is a close second.

These items both go to self-preservation (not poisoning yourself and not burning yourself, respectively). It's like Maslow's hierarchy of needs - satisfy these basics first and then look to fancier items.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    It all depends on how you plan to use your egg and the types of food you want to cook. 
  • jfine1
    jfine1 Posts: 87
    Options
    I would say kick ash basket, pizza stone and a CI grate. I usually put the CI grate right on top of the coals for a super sear on steak, and I also use it to elevate the pizza stone on top of the plate setter for better air circulation 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    Thermapen to check temp and Looftlighter to light the charcoal fast. Maybe a good selection of Dizzy Pig rubs . 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    A second mortgage.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
  • sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    Options
    Woo,Kick Ash Basket,Smokeware cap,Tip Top temp control (keep it simple), Thermopen ,Maverick ET-732 ,Ash vacuum . A good ash can is always nice to have.
  • da87
    Options
    Thanks all - great suggestions and advice!  What's also been valuable is what hasn't been suggested
    Doug
    Wayne, PA

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options

Vintage Bullet Mold Lead Melting Ladle
    da87 said:
    Thanks all - great suggestions and advice!  What's also been valuable is what hasn't been suggested

you know, for making lead fishing weights
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    da87 said:
    I find your response interesting...what items were you thinking that were not suggested?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    Instant read thermometer.
    Fireproof/heat resistant gloves.
    Deflector/platesetter.
    Extras my vary depending on what you cook.
    Planks for fish, cast iron grate for steaks, beer can chicken holder, temp probe that monitors while cooking, etc.

I have a small $20 shop vac for the ashes, gloves, different temp probes, drip/water pans, wood chips, platesetter, small trash can for ashes/hot charcoal, cast iron accessories. All depends on your cooking habits/needs.
    Austin, Tx
  • da87
    Options
    @RRP - a lot of what the local dealer has on display wasn't mentioned:  V racks, BGE 1/2 grid items, etc.  As several have said, comes down to what I cook.  The basics for me seem to be what I already have (I do have welding gloves and the factory gasket is still new, I'll be in touch when it dies!) plus a better thermometer, a couple of firebricks, and for us a pizza stone.  Pretty much everything else I can make due for a while with what we've accumulated over years of cooking (like CI griddle) or by using bricks rather than springing for a Woo/AR right away.  No need for the second mortgage...at least not yet!
    Doug
    Wayne, PA

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I am going with the BGE light string.....doesn't everyone have them?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    I am going with the BGE light string.....doesn't everyone have them?
    Haha. I have been wanting to buy these
    Austin, Tx