Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza stone

Options
King-O-Coals
King-O-Coals Posts: 510
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Santa brought me a new-fangled gadget for my egg. It is a three legged ceramic thing-a-mabob that fits on top of the grate. I'm not sure what to do with it, but I wonder if it will work as a pizza stone. It raises the cooking surface level with the rim of the egg. I looked for it on the BGE webpage but can't find it. It would also make a nice patio table for Leprechauns. Can anyone inform me?

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    King-O-Coals,
    Sounds like you are describing the ceramic plate setter.
    I don't have one, but have seen it discussed often. You can use it as ceramic mass upside down, with a second grate resting on the legs, or you can use it right side up with a pizza stone on top.[p]TimM's website has pictures of the Leprechan table in use.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • I recently got one of these devices at our local BGE distributor and she called it a smoker stone. You place it "tabletop " down and place your grate on the legs and a drip pan underneath if you wish. This helps to keep too much fat from dripping onto the coals when slow smoking. Worked pretty good.
    Mitch

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    King-O-Coals,[p]I assume that you are the proud owner of a large EGG. If so give Santa a big kiss. To get a pizza in and out of your EGG requires access and the thinga-ma-bob (plate setter) provides the height above the grill needed to do the job. I would recommend that you use another pizza stone on top of the setter for makng pizza.[p]This setter can be inverted and used to provide indirect heating for the meal you are cooking. Play with it and imagine the possibilities.[p]Spin

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    Nature Boy, Thanks. I went to his site. Very nice work. I guess us eggaholics are going to cause a shortage in pig shoulders. My buddy "Guru of Grease" and I have done no less than 6 Boston Butts in the past 4 or 5 weeks. Since Christmas, we've done 4, plus a large venison hind-quarter, and two large pork hams. (not to mention fresh Gulf grouper, snapper, blackfish, blackfin tuna, a ton of shrimp, beef rib roast, beef tenderloin, and Porterhouse T-Bones). Our eggs almost never cool down. Thanks again....

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    King-O-Coals,
    Wow! Sounds like you and the Guru are giving those eggs a workout! Who you cooking all that great sounding food for??[p]Hope you come back and join us often! Share some of those fish recipes if you would, and don't hesitate to ask about things you haven't yet done. We have a pretty untouchable group of great people and cooks, and everyone is willing to cough up their secrets![p]Happy Qing
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    King-O-Coals,[p]Wow! Very impressive! Let me know if you ever need some help in eating all of that food! Sounds like your appetite for great food is almost as great as ST's and my appetite for great beer yesterday at the Jets game (we had enough to kill a large moose). Luckily, we had some BGE food to fill our bellies, too. Also, we had a camera...which in tandem with all the beer is a dangerous combination...[p]Heeeeeeeeee,
    Cornfed

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    King-O-Coals,
    You sound like you are truely - the King-O-Coals. Welcome and hope you enjoy the plate setter. [p]Tim