Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advice for fish, please

Options
mrs_story
mrs_story Posts: 136
I like fish.  My husband and daughter want nothing to do with it.  Since I do almost all the cooking, and I don't like to make two meals, I never have fish unless we're eating out.

Well, I'm picking up stuff for burgers tomorrow, and I noticed they have a few different types of fish on sale.  I don't know what I'm doing, and I'm looking for some guidelines.  I suspect the burgers will go on first (we have a cast iron half circle griddle), and once those are pulled we can do my piece of fish.  Thinking about the boneless rainbow trout fillets.  They also have wild-caught rockfish or Dover sole.  ??  I'm not sure I've ever heard of rockfish before!

I did a search in the forum, and I see most people cook their fish right on the grate.  Is it because those pieces had the skin on?  Do you flip the fish?  If you use wood chunks, are certain kinds recommended or ill-advised for fish? 

We will have an extra burger for me, just in case it doesn't go well with the fish.  ;)

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I don't know much about fish either. 
    I can say that the rainbow trout is very good and mild flavor. I think I would use a mildly flavored wood such as a fruit wood, maybe pecan.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    This fillets like Dover sole or rainbow trout can fall apart on the grate without the skin - they cook well in a pan (and of course you can just fry them - where they will taste good but just like any other fried fish). 

For the thin stuff, I usually just broil/bake or pan fry in some butter (a meuniere - brown butter - is magical).  Thicker, meatier fish, including steak cuts or with the skin cook on the grate well.  Fish can stick to the grate at first, keep cooking it until it releases.  Some people use a mayo coating to help the stick problem.  Planks are another option.

Fish is done around 125 in the center.
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice -- especially the temperature!  He's really big on checking temperatures.  ;)

Trout seems like a safe choice . . . my husband said he'll take a bite, and trout doesn't sound as foreign as rockfish! 

I see that they're going to have swordfish steaks on sale next week.  *I* was kind of hoping to try some salmon, but he thinks he hates it.  Neither of us have had swordfish, so maybe I'll give that a shot. 

Hopefully I'll have good pics to share!
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options

When I cook trout I insert lemon slices and some pieces or thyme or rosemary. S&P with a little oil and put them in a perforated grill pan on the BGE. They are done quickly, when the fish starts to flake, at about 5 mins or less a side.

Good Luck and post pics!

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    There are many names of fish that span different species.  Rock fish might very well be stripped bass.  Very mild, firm, white fish.  Good with anything and certainly not 'gamey'
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    We do sockeye salmon on soaked cedar planks. Cook to 125F, as @nolaegghead had mentioned. ( He is extremely knowledgeable and has made me a better cook). We enjoy a marinade first, and smoked with sugar maple.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    the sole and probably the rockfish can be done en papillote. i use a stapler to fold it up, just makes it quick. do some googling, all kinds of flavor profiles, i use flounder, cod, haddock, pollock, any white fish. im not a fan of rainbow trout, have cooked it hundreds of times and the only rainbow i liked was pickled raw by a cambodian neighbor, could not stop eating it =)
    this could be cooked with the burgers =)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LqWmcvIjNY

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    Options
    Brine

1/4 cup salt
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    2 cups water

Heat to incorporate (add ice to cool faster)

Ingredients

Paul Perdome's Salmon seasoning
    Agave Nectar
    Brown sugar
    Butter

Procedure

Marinate salmon fillets for 30 minutes in the brine. Once out the brine, dust both sides with the Paul Purdome's and then rub brown sugar. I put the two fillets on apple soaked cedar planks then smoked with maple and cherry for 45 minutes at 275 degrees. Once off, put a small slice of butter and drizzled with the Agave nectar. I served on a bed of fresh spinach with sweet potatoes.

It was good...

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    the sole and probably the rockfish can be done en papillote. i use a stapler to fold it up, just makes it quick. do some googling, all kinds of flavor profiles, i use flounder, cod, haddock, pollock, any white fish. im not a fan of rainbow trout, have cooked it hundreds of times and the only rainbow i liked was pickled raw by a cambodian neighbor, could not stop eating it =)
    this could be cooked with the burgers =)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LqWmcvIjNY

HA!  If I hadn't clicked the video, I would have thought you used staples to hold the rolled up fish together...
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    My advice for Fish?

DO NOT BETRAY MICHAEL CORLEONE!!!

Flint, Michigan
  • mrs_story
    Options
    Wowee!  Thanks for all the responses!

I ended up picking up some boneless rainbow trout fillets and some EZ peel shrimp for me.  Husband and daughter can have their burgers and leftover twice baked potatoes from a couple days ago.  I'll have my fish/shrimp & some baby Portobello mushrooms (again, I'm the only one who likes mushrooms.  *sigh*).  I'll probably fix some sort of simple cucumber salad to round it all out. 

You guys have given me some great options and information.  I really appreciate all of you!  My fingers are crossed!  I'll try to remember to take some pics & share. 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Chiming in a little late, but I would urge you to try some fish en papillote as well. I think that is a method that yields flavorful results and you can prepare it along with other items for the rest of the family. It is quite easy to do. I like parchment for presentation, but foil also gets the job done nicely. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • mrs_story
    Options
    I have parchment -- I'm definitely looking into different techniques before dinner!  I got two pieces, so I can even try it two different ways & see which turns out better.  =)
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    I did marlin the other day, it holds together on the grate just as well as the burgers would. Swordfish would be similar. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • annjamaican
    annjamaican Posts: 152
    Options
    I'm terrified of putting fish directly on the grates since it's likely to fall apart. I usually stuff my whole fish with seasoned greens, rub with seasoned salt, wrap in parchment then indirect. Bacon-wrapped  trout can probably go right on the grates. 
    - Jamaican living in rural Western Washington
    - Got my first egg (XL) in October 2015
  • Renaud
    Renaud Posts: 11
    Options
    My wife and I love salmon on alder planks. Cook at 350° until internal temp gets to 115° then glaze with whatever you like. We like real maple syrup, mustard and a little lemon and the cook until 125°. So good. No flipping. 
  • Captain_Paul
    Captain_Paul Posts: 138
    Options
    Swordfish steaks will cook very well  on the grate. I'd cover in EVOO and garlic and at the end drizzle melted garlic butter. 
    LBGE, Minimax
    Owensboro, Kentucky
    Go Cats!
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    I did halibut tonight at 350° on great. Was amazing. Nice thick piece of fish.  It held up nice on the grates  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • mrs_story
    Options
    UPDATE! 

After my husband pulled the burgers he stepped aside for me.  It was fast & furious.  I suspect with experience it will feel less hectic. 

Put marinated shrimp on the cast iron griddle.  Turned them after a couple minutes, and then added the trout to the grate.  Pulled the shrimp, waited for a few minutes, then pulled the fish.  Then cooked the mushrooms on the griddle. 

Shrimp were tasty!  Typically my husband wants just battered deep fried fish, but he liked these.  They cook with the shells on, which appealed to me since this was my first time grilling shrimp.  I hoped it would help keep me from overcooking them.  I maybe could have pulled them a minute sooner, but I'm happy with how they turned out.  Here is the recipe I used:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/247366/chef-johns-indoor-bbq-shrimp/

The fish was very mild.  I gave the skin a spritz with Smart Balance cooking spray, and it didn't stick to the grate.  It was dressed with brown butter, lemon juice, a little dill, salt & pepper.  I think I would have liked a little more oomph to the flavor.  And maybe I could have left it on for a minute longer.  This was a nice start, and we will be cooking fish again. 

Mushrooms cooked WAY fast.  I think maybe the griddle was a little too hot.  But they were tasty, too. 

Thank you so much for all your advice!  I'm sharing some pics -- the one of the food on the grill isn't very clear, but you get the idea. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    First of all, looks absolutely delicious.  Very nice job. 

Regarding Papillote, it is a great technique insofar as name and presentation.  That's sorta what helps make a dish work.  Essentially it's a way of steaming fish, and on the egg, it puts up a barrier to smoke, so you  might as well do it in the oven.  (although the egg makes it a bit sexier in the process)
    Options
    gmac said:
    I did marlin the other day, it holds together on the grate just as well as the burgers would. Swordfish would be similar. 
    What did you season it with? I have some to try in the freezer.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Little Steven
    Options
    You may want to look up Jay's (SN686?) recipe for shrimp burgers. They are excellent and you could probably substitute any fish or shellfish. 

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• clemsontyger97
    Options
    --Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
    South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    One thing's for sure - don't take any advice on the subject from a guy named @fishlessman.

;)