Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

4th of July SRF brisket cook

Options
Mosca
Mosca Posts: 456
edited July 2016 in Beef
14.5lbish full packer from SRF. Been in the freezer since December, life got in the way and this was when I had the time to do it.

After it thawed, Sunday morning I trimmed it, separated the flat from the point, and injected it with Butcher's Blend Prime Brisket Injection. I didn't inject the last one from SRF, but I really think that I was overthinking, and injecting it really doesn't hurt anything and could help.

Sunday evening I rubbed it with a mix of black pepper, onion and garlic powders, and ancho and chipotle powders. I didn't use salt because salt is in the Butcher's Blend. It went on the BGE at about 11PM, I set the DigiQ for 235 and went to bed, and slept soundly.

The next morning, I awoke to this. The flat was 183*, the point was 181*. Pit temp was a solid 235* top and bottom, measured by Maverick above and DigiQ below:

At 10AM, the point was done at 191*. The skewer probed like water, like there was nothing there. I pulled the flat an hour later at 200; parts of it were probing like the point, others were probing with more resistance.

Dinner was set for 4PM, so I FTC'd and went about puttering, fixing this and cleaning that. About 3PM, both roasts were still around 160-165*. I cubed the point for burnt ends.   Before going back over the heat:

When we arrived at the in-laws, I sliced the flat:

This was truly superb, as starting with SRF should be. I would have loaded my plate with brisket, but George makes one mean burger with roasted vegetables, and I wouldn't miss that!

Thanks for looking, eat well.

Comments