Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is lasagna better cooked in the Egg?

Options
I have been wanting to try this for a while now, home made lasagna on the Big Green Egg! My wife and I prepared individual size lasagna's, tented with tin foil and placed on the Large egg at 375* grill temp for 45 minutes. I then added a few cherry chips for smoke and continued to cook uncovered for an additional 15 minutes to brown the cheese. Removed and let stand for 15 minutes while we prepared some garlic bread for a side. 

Ingredients: Lasagna noodles covered with browned ground beef, spinach and four cheese sauce, ricotta cheese mixed with 1 egg, fresh spinach, fresh basil, fresh parsley, and parmesan. Covered layers and top with shredded Saputo mozzarella cheese.

My wife and I will both say that the Egg factor does in fact add to the flavour and enjoyment of a good lasagna. A nice subtle smoke infused cheese, fresh herbs, so moist and delicious.  My oven just lost one of its only jobs left in our home.

Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

Comments

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    Better? We like it. It's rustic. Smoke and all

i do a mushroom lasagna: bechamel and a TON of really earthy shrooms. 

Really excellent. 

If you go with a super clean fire, or foil it, might as well do it in the oven. But in the summer it keeps the heat out of the house too. 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    Better? We like it. It's rustic. Smoke and all

i do a mushroom lasagna: bechamel and a TON of really earthy shrooms. 

Really excellent. 

If you go with a super clean fire, or foil it, might as well do it in the oven. But in the summer it keeps the heat out of the house too. 
    Oh, it was better for sure.  Yes, keeping heat out of the house on a 86* day is a high priority.  I also felt it would add flavour and that light smoke and it most certainly did.  Do you cook yours the entire time uncovered in the Egg, if so, how long and temps?  

I am going to experiment as this was very good
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    They say... Everything's better in the egg!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Very nice looking lasagna Monty!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    That looks great.  Those last two pics especially look like they are from a foodie magazine!
    Phoenix 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Yeah, we cook uncovered the whole time IIRC. lot of fresh cheese on top, and I don't mind if it browns heavily

damn. I think I'm gonna make one this week now.  Thanks for the reminder 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Monty77
    Options
    Yeah, we cook uncovered the whole time IIRC. lot of fresh cheese on top, and I don't mind if it browns heavily

damn. I think I'm gonna make one this week now.  Thanks for the reminder 
    Yea, that browned cheese on top is a treat for sure.  I am happy to inspire you to create your own.  I had the craving today and this took care of it.  I will try the uncovered for entire duration next time, maybe sooner than later.  

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    You can always foil if it gets too browned. I just go until it starts to bubble. 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I foil until the last 15 minutes. It does make Lazagna better.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I've done it once and "rustic" is a good word. I'll do it again when the Atlanta weather is not in the 90's.  B)
    New Albany, Ohio 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That looks wonderful and some great pictures. I have only done it once and I followed this recipe:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/23600/worlds-best-lasagna/

...which suggests keeping it covered with foil the first 25 minutes.  It worked out great so I think I would stick to this technique.  One advantage is I didn't have to wait for the egg to stabilize too long.  This recipe was for the oven so as Darby indicated I think the reason for the foil is so the cheese doesn't get too browned before the inside is heated through.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Monty77
    Options
    That looks wonderful and some great pictures. I have only done it once and I followed this recipe:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/23600/worlds-best-lasagna/

...which suggests keeping it covered with foil the first 25 minutes.  It worked out great so I think I would stick to this technique.  One advantage is I didn't have to wait for the egg to stabilize too long.  This recipe was for the oven so as Darby indicated I think the reason for the foil is so the cheese doesn't get too browned before the inside is heated through.  
    Thanks, this recipe looks excellent.  I will have to give it a try

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Not sure, by yours sure does look good.  @DoubleEgger made some a while a ago and it looked great too!  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site