Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Foiling Ribs question

Options
toomsdpt
toomsdpt Posts: 141
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I asked this once but didnt get the answer I guess I was looking for.[p]I have a medium egg and planning on doing four rib racks this weekend. I will have to cut each in half and place in rack. After cooking indirect for 3 hrs I will put each in foil with apple juice. How should I do this? should I put each half in its own foil? should I put two halfs (One full rack) per foil. All the meat in one big foil wrap? [p]I know the foil part helps to tenderize the meats, but the last time I attempted this with four racks, I dont think I reached the outcome I had hoped for. I put each half in its own foil. was this wrong.[p]I cooked at 250 degrees the entire cook. 3 indirect, 1 foil, 1.5 direct.

Comments

• Dublin Dawg
    Options
    toomsdpt,
    I usually cut my rack in half, to fit my BGE better. I wrap each individual 1/2 rack in foil with the apple juice.
    Mine seem to do well. Sometimes I have to cook them a little longer depending on the rack.

• toomsdpt
    Options
    Dublin Dawg,[p]I did it the same way but the meat just didnt tenderize the way I had hoped nor the way I did it two weeks prior. That time the meat was almost falling off bone. I stacked all the halfs in two piles and closed lid. I dont know why this happened. Oh well
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    toomsdpt,[p]Do one level packaging, so two halves could work in the same pack, just don't stack. Try a little sweetener like apple jelly, brown sugar etc. in the pouch first, then add ribs with the meat down and add some liquid before sealing.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • toomsdpt
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]maybe im being too bold with four racks. I not sure if you can lay out four racks on one level?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    toomsdpt,
    with regards to the foiling stage, you should check the ribs and if they need more time to tenderize or need more liquid, leave them in there and/or add more liquid. each rack is different. i dont foil ribs anymore, i found it a little inconsistant, i just low and slow them to my liking

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    toomsdpt,
    This last Saturday I did 10 pounds of rib-tips on my medium. It was jammed full, only had about a finger's width of space between the meat and the egg's side. I planned to do them 3-1-1, but as it turned out I needed to cook them 4-2-1.5 .[p]Previously I had foiled several racks all at once. I decided to try individual packs, using a fluid mixture of apple juice, tulip poplar syrup and ginger. They didn't seem to be noticabley more tender than the mass foiled ribs I've done, but it was a lot easier shuffling them around to make sure they all were evenly cooked.[p]The results were judged as "very good" by those at the table. Nevertheless, I'm not going to try a mass that big again. Fortunately I had the time, but I think I've made better with a less crowded grill.[p]gdenby[p]

• Dos Huevos
    Dos Huevos Posts: 368
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]ditto to your sentiments, fishlessman. My wife has always been a "fall off the bone" gal, but recently I've skipped the foiling under the "we're doing too many slabs to do that" excuse. Since then, she's started to realize that a little tug is just as good and that the color and flavor and texture of non-foiled is amazing. [p]I did two slabs saturday night with dizzy dust for four of us and they were great. Really great. Company raved and raved. [p]As usual. Thanks BGE, Dizzy Pig and this forum.[p]
  • Dos Huevos
    Dos Huevos Posts: 368
    Options
    gdenby,[p]Hello second Large BGE!!
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    toomsdpt,[p]I should have said one layer of ribs when they are in the foil packaging. I'm sure you can stack the packs, maybe shuffling once or so.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]As long as the foiled packs keep hot enough to generate steam, it shouldn't matter much whether they are stacked. Since three full slabs pretty much fill the grid, I usually stack the foiled halves in a cross hatched fashion so the heat circulates. The biggest hassle I have is the bone piercing the foil and losing the liquid.
  • Unknown
    Options
    toomsdpt,[p]I agree that you can do two halves in foil but don't stack. Also, important to understand is you want meat side down in the liquid and the grate temp be 250 so that you braise the ribs.[p]Howard