Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Water to table: Fishing has stunk - had to go to beef.

Options
Sea2Ski
Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
edited July 2016 in EggHead Forum
I can not remember a worse year for fishing.  Last week we went 118 miles one way on a 32 hr trip.  465 gallons of fuel and got nothing.  Had a 20-25 lb tuna on but it got taken by a blue marlin 20 seconds after hookup.   Uggg..   So I stayed home this weekend out of frustration.

No fresh seafood? Went with ribeye cap, but cooked it a bit cooler and slower on the MiniMax. I am really liking this little cooler for fast cooks. Comes up to speed quickly and uses just a few handfuls of lump. 

Anyway...  usually I do them black and blue. This time I went a bit lower in grate temp and longer. Went more medium on purpose.  This is how I will do it from now on. More fat melts throughout and we all know that means more flavor. I also take them apart for more crust if I can not get them to cut me a new one and leave it whole.  Here is the proof..... (@YukonRon it was paired with a 2011 Sobon estate old vines cab after breathing for 5 hrs - great oak in that one!!)

Desert was was some somores.

Now it is time for dessert of dessert. Wine is from our France trip that was smuggled back in our suitcases. 

--------------------------------------------------
Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
....just look for the smoke!
Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Wow that looks good @sea2ski.  

I've never been fishing in the open ocean.  How do you know you had a tuna, and how do you know a blue marlin is what took it?

Phoenix 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Sorry for the bad luck, but the steak looks killer!
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Looks phenomenal. Well played dude. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Sea2Ski
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @blasting. I saw the tuna come into the trolling spread from the bridge.   Not only that, but after you are out on the water and catch a bunch of fish over the years you know how different fish hit and react.  This one was textbook tuna. It hit, ran for a bit, went a little deep then came shallow.  At that point, we take the boat out of gear, clear the other lines then back down on the fish a bit. Usually tuna then go deep; however this one was different. It stayed shallow. Then we saw why.  A blue Marlin came from the left and hit the tuna. It came 3/4 out of the water, took about 75 yards of line and it snapped. Saw it clear as day. Seeing the Marlin come down on the fish, it was 500-600 lbs. not a monster, but having hooked several of different sizes, that is what we would put that one at.  

That is frustrating because we lost the one food fish we would have had, and also it did not hit the Marlin rod.  That is a 80 lb setup, bent butt with 800 yards of 80 lb line with 300 lb shock tippit.  If it hit that, we would have had a chance.  
    Oh well. We are planning 2 trips this week. We will see what happens. In the meantime, beef was on the menu. 
    Large and MiniMax

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Thanks for the explanation - very interesting.

Phoenix 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Sorry to hear of your fishing ills........love the cap and s'mores. Thanks for the fishing details. Would loved to have seen it. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Way to recover with an awesome meal.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    No Gopro on the bridge filming the cockpit and behind the boat?
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Sorry about the fishing, but man that steak and the rest of the meal look amazing.

Seems like the North Atlantic is changing fairly rapidly.  Stripers are down, sea lions are way up, great whites are up - and an orca was spotted off of Cape Cod last week...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    118 out and Nada. That's gotta suck. Awesome recovery with the beef :plus_one:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    You spying on us?  Ha ha.  The GoPro was there, but we only start it after lines are cleared and things organized.  This all happened in 30 seconds total, so it was not on yet. Besides, when the tuna was taken, it would have been to far for the GoPro to get with any good footage. You would have seen a splash and commotion, but no detail.  That thing is perfect for the pit and about 25-30 feet out, but beyond that things are too far to make out. 
    Large and MiniMax

• Abter
    Abter Posts: 125
    Options
    I feel your pain!  Fishing is bad in the Chesapeake this year...the fish decided to all hang out a 2 hour ride away from where we dock.  Thank goodness my Egg has kept us from starving with a steady stream of ribs, steaks and other tasties.  Not quite the same as our usual summertime fare in Maryland, but at least we aren't starving  B)
    Stay Calm and Egg On
    1 lonely medium in Rockville, MD
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    Just teasing. Yeah, they do well for the cockpit.
    I sucks to go all that distance and get skunked.

That's why I stopped doing charters out of Delaware. So much fuel to burn just to get out to the fish.
    If I go east coast anymore it'll be out of Hatteras.

I just save my money and go out in Mexico, mucho cheaper and 500' of water a couple of miles offshore.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    Yea this year has been a totally wacky one for us. Seems like all the fishing is messed up across the board.  Drum count was up, although forecasted to be down, bluefins are apparently in abundance, but we have not been able to get the weather window to get them, flounder are just really kicking in - which is late..... Few Marlin caught at our marina... Everything is wacky this year and I can not figure out why. 

Ma nature taking the reigns again I guess. 
    Large and MiniMax

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    Yeah, report I heard in Mass was that bluefins are being spotted in abundance but not really getting caught.  I saw a school that included some giants rolling about 1/2 mile off Coast Guard Beach last week.  Was very weird.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    You spying on us?  Ha ha.  The GoPro was there, but we only start it after lines are cleared and things organized.  This all happened in 30 seconds total, so it was not on yet. Besides, when the tuna was taken, it would have been to far for the GoPro to get with any good footage. You would have seen a splash and commotion, but no detail.  That thing is perfect for the pit and about 25-30 feet out, but beyond that things are too far to make out. 
    Going to PM you regarding GoPro.....
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Last two times I took out the boat were for non-fishing excursions.  But the time before that, we only picked up one black drum, two reds, couple of undersized specs and a skate.  Plus a few obligatory (throw 'em back in) catfish and a croaker or two (throw back).

Time before that we strangely only caught red fish, but they were right in the sweet spot as far as size goes and we would have maxed out on them had I not forgotten the net. (just finished getting the hull buffed and inside detailed).
    Options
    In conclusion - yeah, fishing has been weird here in the gulf too.  They're out there, but it can be hit or miss, or really work at the few you catch. 
    Options
    this is why i now troll for landlock salmon, 32 hours at 2.2 mph is about 6 gallons =) catching is down in the fresh for me this year, maybe that mild winter wasnt that good.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    this is why i now troll for landlock salmon, 32 hours at 2.2 mph is about 6 gallons =) catching is down in the fresh for me this year, maybe that mild winter wasnt that good.
    You troll with artificial smelts?   I didn't realize you guys had such a mercury problem up there.
    Options
    You troll with artificial smelts?   I didn't realize you guys had such a mercury problem up there.
    theres actually tons of smelts, with the salmon we are in a down cycle on the lake. size went from 5 to 6 pounds on average down to 2 pounds in just a few years. also dumb bios put alewives in a lake upstream as well that will take its toll on the salmon spawn, alewives have a chemical that interfers with salmon spawn but they dont know if its a problem in our acidic waters. had two good spawning cycles and there is just too many small fish.  this is all smelt on the screen

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it