Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hamburgers

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone had success with cooking burgers indirect? If so, please give me the details.

Comments

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Zee,
    Sure. Setup I use; flat 12 inch grid on drip pan, room enough for 6 good size burgers. This setup sits on the BGE grid that is resting on firering. I get the fire going with hickory or pecan smoke then put in the setup. Burgers will be juicy and have a nice redish smoke tint color on the outside. This setup will eliminate grease smoke and gunk on lump. Same setup for lamb burgers, pork burgers, turkey burgers, chicken burgers, vege burgers, venison burgers, turtle burgers, tuna burgers, salmon burgers,.....sorry, must be the coffee.
    Have fun!

• Tony
    Tony Posts: 224
    Options
    Zee,
    Never tried cooking hamburgers indirect. I cook burgers direct around 400* raised grid and sometimes normal grid level. They always come out great. Haven't cooked a bad hamburger on the egg yet, I can't seem to mess up :)
    I would imagine that cooking burgers indirect would work fine. In fact, I think I'll try some with that set-up myself. Don't be afraid to expierment. You'll surprise yourself, cooking on the egg is very forgiving.

• bigarms
    bigarms Posts: 136
    Options
    ClayQ,[p]Ditto.......and don't flip the burger. So easy just close the lid and come back in about 20/30 minutes.

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    bigarms,
    Yeah, so easy yet so good. 350 dome with hickory whisping out, and the burgers don't shrink up much at all, thanks to the egg. Just before I pull 'em off I'll lay on a good amount of cheese for those who like cheese burgers...like me. A slice of onion, a pickle all inside a soft bun.....yes sir, that's good.

• flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Options
    Gotta agree with all above.  Did my first ones after some Pizza one day just to try.  Outstanding.  450deg on raised rig up in the dome.  Perfect even browning...
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Options
    Did them the other night indirect at 350° for about 30 minutes I think. Don't really remember the time, but that sounds about right. Gave them a quick poke with the thermapen to make sure they were ready. Then I threw them on the CI grill that was warming nicely under the adjustable rig to sear them up. Best I've made yet.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario